Safety Fencing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackout

I am open for suggestions on a safety fence for run-away boats. The IMPBA rule says 2 feet high in the water. I'm wondering if 4 feet high on the shore line would be acceptable. I'm also wondering on what type of fence. This fence would stay up all year long so it would need to handle UV rays. Originally I was going to install a sturdy steel wire fence in the water over two feet tall, but if a boat hits it, it could cause descent damage. But with that being said, better the boat than a person. Just looking for some thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

Craig, It's your private property and am sure you will only need around the pit and spectator area or any area around rocks. The orange would work well and oi in the water, you won't have an unsightly fence to look at all year. Can't wait to tear up your water. Fantastic job. Tom

Don't expect orange construction fencing to stop a fast boat. It's mostly to keep people back from the edge of the pond. The pond shore is the real safety barrier, even though I've seen boats occasionally get fairly far from the shore. Sports netting has been used as a barrier where the boat really needs to be stopped. It has been tested across Lake Minden for several years in NAMBA District 9; stopping everything from fast electrics to gas monos. You need to think about boats going under the netting. In the water a weighted line holds the edge under water. It would take more on land.

Lohring Miller, NAMBA Safety Director

As easy as it is to buy Orange fencing is nothing more then a "hey.. stand back" If you feel thats enough to protect the people then cool.

I can tell you however that it WILL NOT stop most boats. They go though that stuff like its not there.

IF.. you want to keep the boats IN THE WATER (the best place for them) you need the proper netting and installed correctly.

The bottom of the netting should drape INTO the water and never hover above the surface. It should be draped loosely and not snugged tight. It should be 2 to 4 feet from the shore into the water.

2' of netting above the water line is plenty to keep them off shore.

I should go on to say your goal is to wrap the boat up into the netting.. not have it bounce off

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
As easy as it is to buy Orange fencing is nothing more then a "hey.. stand back" If you feel thats enough to protect the people then cool.

I can tell you however that it WILL NOT stop most boats. They go though that stuff like its not there.

IF.. you want to keep the boats IN THE WATER (the best place for them) you need the proper netting and installed correctly.

The bottom of the netting should drape INTO the water and never hover above the surface. It should be draped loosely and not snugged tight. It should be 2 to 4 feet from the shore into the water.

2' of netting above the water line is plenty to keep them off shore.

I should go on to say your goal is to wrap the boat up into the netting.. not have it bounce off

Grim
Where would you get this netting?

So would a steel fence be bad because of the damage it could cause? Personally I don't care, but I want to do what is good for the whole group. And yes, I want to stop the boats.

Thanks.

Craig, It's your private property and am sure you will only need around the pit and spectator area or any area around rocks. The orange would work well and oi in the water, you won't have an unsightly fence to look at all year. Can't wait to tear up your water. Fantastic job. Tom
Hi Tom!

I have the closest RV spot reserved for you! :)

You are right, we just need fence where people will be.

So would a steel fence be bad because of the damage it could cause? Personally I don't care, but I want to do what is good for the whole group. And yes, I want to stop the boats.
The objective is to stop the boat first and foremost. If the boat gets damaged in the process it is an unfortunate byproduct of protecting the people on the other side of the fence. As others have posted the orange plastic fencing will not stop anything but the smallest of boats. Fishing net strung semi-loosely does a great job of containing a runaway with minimal damage. It might take you a while to untangle the boat but it does work with the only down side is the initial cost and upkeep over the long term (storage etc.)

Someone please tell me where in the IMPBA rule book it says fencing must be in the water, no less than two feet above the water line. The only technical standard I can find is that posts must be no more than 10 feet apart.

I did just discover a minor discrepancy that needs to be corrected. On page F-2 it say spectators must be kept 20 feet from operating boats and the shoreline. In the Safety section it says 25 feet.

You will also find a recommended netting with a web link in the Safety section. Lots of good info in that book.

I have a link at home for some of the best fence for the money that will stop a boat and give years of performance. . Plastic orange fence is a joke

Someone please tell me where in the IMPBA rule book it says fencing must be in the water, no less than two feet above the water line. The only technical standard I can find is that posts must be no more than 10 feet apart.

I did just discover a minor discrepancy that needs to be corrected. On page F-2 it say spectators must be kept 20 feet from operating boats and the shoreline. In the Safety section it says 25 feet.

You will also find a recommended netting with a web link in the Safety section. Lots of good info in that book.
I could not find the rule, but I swear I read it a while back. It makes sense to have it in the water anyways. Otherwise the boat could ramp off the shore line.

Steel fencing is tempting as it seems much cheaper than the netting. It would only be in the middle of the front chute where we pit so accidents should be minimal. The shore line coming around buoy 6 is a bad area for pitting anyways, so I could just keep that off limits.

http://www.tractorsu...er-wire-3610121

Anyone see a 6" opening as a problem if using steel fencing?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was holding races on my property I would probably go steel as well , maybe concrete lol.

Yes it will damage a runaway boat but it will also stop it .

I have seen people run into docks , clocks and everything else out there , you need to protect yourself as well as those who are guest on your property.

Tim .

Back