S-Bend drivelines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that if I used a straight or slight bend in the tube, the cable can whip at certain RPM.

I have tried an S bend. While it works very nicely to eliminate the whipping, and at the same time place the engine at a better angle, having an S bend will make it almost impossible to remove the tube from the stuffing tube (the permanent tube that you glue to the hull).

Kez
i have removed countless stuffing tubes from a bent stuffing box, with no problem. just grab with a pair of pliars and twist and pull em out. install new the same way. make the new one long enough to cut off the smashed end and lube well, and push and twist and they go right end.
Hi Steve,

I agreed the tube can be removed from the stuffing box. I actually stick a soldering iron to the tube for a minute to soften the resin or epoxy and then slide it out.

I guess my point was that if I bend the tube on the inboard side, I will not be able to slide it out of the stuffing box (the part that you glue to the hull). So that defeat the idea of using a stuffing box as a permanent part of the boat. Nowadays, if I need an S bend, I would simply glue the tube to the hull.

I am surprised no one experienced cable whipping. If I run a straight tube to the strut, the cable can whip. Took me a while to figure out what that racheting noise was.

Kez

Mike the older mono`s that use require a S bend Drivelines. I would install the next size bigger tubing to make the S bend then go back to a 5/16 about 4 inches thru the strut. Just slide the 5/16 up inside of the 11/32. This makes for a Free running No Binding Driveline & you can get plenty of grease in there for long runs............. Works great on 3/16 .187 shaft drive lines too..... jw

Latest posts

Back