Rudder location / position

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall Fella

Hello everybody .

This is a enquiry from Australia . On all my boats , whether they be Tunnel boats ( inboard ) or Sport Hydro / GP Hydro's , I prefer to have the rudder on the left side of the propshaft as viewed from the transom . Over the years I have been told that it is better to pull on the rudder than push which allows the connecting linkage to buckle and bend . Does anybody have a different point of view about this ? . I look forward to reading your replies .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody .

This is a enquiry from Australia . On all my boats , whether they be Tunnel boats ( inboard ) or Sport Hydro / GP Hydro's , I prefer to have the rudder on the left side of the propshaft as viewed from the transom . Over the years I have been told that it is better to pull on the rudder than push which allows the connecting linkage to buckle and bend . Does anybody have a different point of view about this ? . I look forward to reading your replies .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia
Gaday Guys

Ian mate put your rudder on the left that way its running in clean water if its on the right it with be i the mess left after your turn fin.

Brad

Hello everbody .

Brad , now there's a statement that I haven't heard before . Thanks for the reply .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

A rudder will lift unless its tucked under. Where do you want lift? Left side on the hydro is where Id put it.

Hello everybody .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia
Ian, the only negative I've heard about having the rudder on the left is if you make a left correction on your steering(such as in passing or avoiding another boat) It may be prone to blowing over. I had friends take pics of my boats running and a couple have the tendancy to lift the left sponson at the end of the straights. If the rudder is on the right it would push the left sponson down instead of up. To keep the rudder pushrod from flexing a small support near the center would prevent that.

Glenn

I've always put the rudder on the left side to leave room for the tuned pipe on the right. I'm also a believer in the pull rather than push rule

Rudder's where installed on the left to help correct torsional lift, when turning right, before the day of turn fin's, helped keep hydro's sponson's on the water, now we have turn fin's, having the rudder on the right, would help make left turn's better, but it's to each your own nowaday's, rudder's will only lift, if you have a lifting surface on the bottom cut into it!!

Latest posts

Back