RHT's "rigger style" Sport 20...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlugs

Hey gang, just wondering who here has built and is running Bob's RHT Marine "rigger style" sport 20 boats... (the one that created a bit of controversy..)

I'm just starting to assemble my wood kit, and was hoping for any building or setup tips Bob didn't mention in the instruction sheets.

Can anyone post pictures of theirs? How much does your finished boat weigh?

Thanks!

Duane

Bob is on this forum and he would be the one to give any help..
Thanks Roy; I know Bob's around here, as I bought my kit directly from him, here on the forum. I was just hoping to hear from others who've built one of those boats, as I think Bob had sold about a dozen (?) of that version, before recently telling us about his latest one.. :)

Anyway, I just got the sponson framework of mine sanded and nicely fit together, without anything yet being glued. Looks pretty cool, so far. I'll be posting a few pictures after I get the framework glued up...

Duane

Here are a couple pics of the RHT kit going together. First one of some trial framework fitting, then one of the framework glued up. The sponson pieces are glued with thin CA and no accelerator; that way it had plenty of time to soak into the wood. All other pieces - bulkheads, transom, nose block - were glued with slow cure epoxy. I cheated on this assembly, in that I didn't build the jig as described in the instruction sheet... Instead, it was mostly built on a sheet of glass covered with wax paper, and upraised areas supported with scrap plywood. Parts were weighted down with dead gel cells (why throw them out?), and lots of tape and rubber bands used to hold things. I used straight edges and right angle tools, and measured quite a bit before gluing, and so far it looks pretty straight. The tunnel top (tub bottom) fits in place perfectly after gluing the framework, the sponson bottom ribs are flat and even, and the tub has no twist. So far, so good...

rht1.jpg

rht6.jpg

Hey Duane....The reason for building on a jig is to keep everything straight and square. And nobody likes a cheater...just joking. I would hate to see you put all the work into the boat and end up with a boat that is squirrly. God bless and have fun. Nice looking boat too. Jim

Hey Duane....The reason for building on a jig is to keep everything straight and square. And nobody likes a cheater...just joking. I would hate to see you put all the work into the boat and end up with a boat that is squirrly. God bless and have fun. Nice looking boat too. Jim
Thanks, Doc. For my next boat that specs a jig, I'll probably build it... I didn't with this one, 'cause after sanding and dry fitting all the frame parts, it went together looking really straight. I figured if I keep it that way, checking alignment at each stage, I may get lucky... :) I just glued the tunnel top/tub bottom in place. More pictures soon.

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a chance to do a bit more on this one... Sponson and tub bottom skins on, and insides sealed (3 coats thinned 30 minute epoxy). Non trip skins are sealed on the inside face, and should be going on next day or two. Starting to look more like a boat. :)

Duane

rht8.jpg

rht9.jpg

Thanks, Marty! I'll be working on this one for a couple more weeks, then starting on a '70s vintage delta hull mono kit. That one should be a pretty easy build. After that, hopefully a round nose sport 20, or maybe a Wild Thing mono... I'm having fun wearing sawdust. :)

Plastic boats are cool too, but there's nothing quite like a wooden boat that you've built yourself.

Duane

Duane, Looks great. Make me proud.

Bob

make sure you put balsa between center section and sponsons, and sheet it. It will add stiffness to the hull

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of updated pics...

Belly pan made and in place, and sponsons all skinned. Next I've got to make the canard wings & stick them on, then start fitting the cowel. It's slowly getting there...

rht12.jpg

rht11.jpg

Latest posts

Back