Receiver battery pack and charger recommendations

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Woody

Supporting Member
As I am still working on getting back into the hobby, I was hoping to get some advise from the "group" concerning receiver batteries and chargers for said batteries. I am looking to standardize my receiver battery packs for all of my boats so I can keep spare packs ready to swap if needed. Realizing battery technology has changed over the past 2 decades, I am asking for recommendations on types of batteries and a charger that will work off of 12v (DC) and/or 110v (AC) inputs. Thanks

Woody

I like life battery’s 6.6 volt 2s value hobby’s has 1500 ma packs for 8.00 I have two I been using for over a year now common sense lectron pro charger around 60.00 will charge everything I have from lipo to life batteries and more easy to use.I use it on 110 volts.I liked the charger so ended up with two of them.Its a 10 amp charger I also use a 3s 5000 lipo from my starter motor I bought it from rc batteries hard case.I only run gas and nitro.

Last edited:
Get some education on charging life batteries, they are a different animal from the nicads and nimetals from 20 years ago.
With a good smart charger that recognizes the battery chemistry and cell count they are a great option.
I just started using life's recently and they work great.
Just be careful with them

Life’s battery are safer then lipos plus some of the older radio receivers and servos don’t like the higher voltages that lipos run at 7.4 volts.Make sure you use the balance charger port when charging.Itoo was a old school on batteries my buddys told me what there using and buying from last summer and made the jump over and never looked back these batteries don’t drain out like the nicads and nickel batteries of the past plus cost effective.aThey don’t self discharge like old school batteries.

Life Packs 100%. I got back into the hobby back in 2021 and have a couple packs that are 3 years old and going strong. You won’t have to worry about switching out packs. You’ll be good for the day and possibly for the weekend. If you do want to do a balance charge to top off that’s no problem. There is no memory with these batteries and you won’t need to put them in a pouch like with Lipos. I use a Hitec Smart Charger that I got for around 100.00 and it charges 2 packs at once. It works great. There are many options for you out there regarding chargers.

As I am still working on getting back into the hobby, I was hoping to get some advise from the "group" concerning receiver batteries and chargers for said batteries. I am looking to standardize my receiver battery packs for all of my boats so I can keep spare packs ready to swap if needed. Realizing battery technology has changed over the past 2 decades, I am asking for recommendations on types of batteries and a charger that will work off of 12v (DC) and/or 110v (AC) inputs. Thanks

Woody
James welcome back to the hobby. What boats are you going to be running and where you located.

Hi:
I like life battery’s 6.6 volt 2s value hobby’s has 1500 ma packs for 8.00 I have two I been using for over a year now common sense lectron pro charger around 60.00 will charge everything I have from lipo to life batteries and more easy to use.I use it on 110 volts.I liked the charger so ended up with two of them.Its a 10 amp charger I also use a 3s 5000 lipo from my starter motor I bought it from rc batteries hard case.I only run gas and nitro.
one note.. if you still have your boats and they have older servos.. you "should" us a regulator. 6.6V is a tick to much for a standard voltage servo (4.8)

Grim
Two very valuable messages:
Thank you all for your kind responses.
A very good post for those who are taking up this wonderful hobby again, as well as for those of us who are a bit "rusty". I will follow it closely.

Latest posts

Back