Radio glitches??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Since the posts were moving the thread they were on off topic I created this thread and moved them here starting with Buck's post and quoted replies as requested. They have been deleted from the SpringNats thread to keep it on topic. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I donated some wood and carbon fiber to the ATL pond gods yesterday so hopefully I'll be in the clear for the Spring Nats. :( Weired RF problems for everyone yesterday.

-Buck-
That's not a good thing to hear........... :blink:
What channel? Dont say 2.4 i had one wig out there last year brand new sport 40 pitman almost had to revive me!!!
Ch.89

So you're saying that your 2.4 Fasst system wigged out on you at the ATL pond!!!!!????? I was thinking about changing over to the 2.4 system before I run another boat there.

-Buck-

Buck, there are at least 4 of us that exclusively run the FASST system down here with no issues at all.
It was 2.4,since then i read you can NOT use NIMHS my bad ........
Where did you "read" that????? The only thing I've read relating to batteries is it needs to be 6 volt packs. :unsure:
On the Futaba site i think in the receiver section of the manual... Let me look and i will cut n paste
Well?? I'm real curious as to where you saw this as I ran Nimh 6 volt 2500mah packs all last year with the 603FS RX's with no issues.
Let's continue on here............

Im not sure what this is all about but if I may.........

I have heard/seen reports of people using lipo RX packs with or without regulators causing some futaba 2.4 surface systems to glitch. Having said this I have not read or seen any reports of this regarding aircraft systems.

Futaba recommends:

5 cells (6 volts) NiCAD chemistry

RX antenna placed out of the radio box

A few side notes: A few years ago I ran/raced/tested at a pond that caused my 2.4 to stutter, (not unlock). I moved the RX antenna to a vertical position and it went away. Having said this, this was in a FE boat using the ECS to power the RX. Not sure about the filtering on this system. This pond was, and likely still has that issue as ALL other radio system brands regardless of modulation were having some type of glitching issue.

Conclusion:

I have personally experienced bad “air” if you will regarding pond and race location. To fix it, it took moving the RX antenna into a vertical position.

I have no idea if this helps anybody at all just letting you know what I know or have experienced.

Grimracer

I noticed a reference to carbon fiber, which is death to SS signals. We learned very quickly with airplanes that carbon fiber needs to be used in such a manner so that it never comes between the transmitter and receiver antennas. Other objects like engines, fuel tanks, etc. can physically block or impede the 2.4 spread spectrum signals and this is why proper installation is critical. As Mike noted, Futaba specifically recommends getting the antenna up and out vertically in boats to minimize these potential issues.

The people I have spoken with at Hobby Services/Great Planes have told me that the Nicd only recommendation from Futaba is based on making certain that the receiver pack can deliver the required voltage under load. Many early NiMH cells could not do this and Futaba has not updated the verbiage in their written materials.

I do know that Futaba specifically recommends NOT using unregulated packs over 5 cells or 2S lipo due to the possibility of damage to the receiver and/or the servos. Some heli guys are doing it and seemingly getting away with it, but it is not recommended.

Many, many people are using Futaba FASST radios with regulated 2S lipo/lithium ion receiver power in large airplanes and other applications without any issues at all. Same goes for the use of high quality NiMH packs made using cells with low internal impedance (10 milliohms or less) since these can deliver power under load. AA size NiMH cells are among the worst when it comes to performance under load. Many exceed 25 milliohms internal impedance and will have a significant voltage drop under load, sometimes in excess of 1 volt. The proper type of NiMH cell will typically only drop 0.2 volts under the same types of loads.

Futaba recommends:
5 cells (6 volts) NiCAD chemistry

RX antenna placed out of the radio box

A few side notes: A few years ago I ran/raced/tested at a pond that caused my 2.4 to stutter, (not unlock). I moved the RX antenna to a vertical position and it went away.
Question for ya Mike- I know the Nicads are recommended over dry cells for power output capability and 6 volts over 4.8 due to 2.4 RX requirements but I can't find anything against using Nimh's and as a matter of fact the new 4PK comes with Nimh TX pack. Maybe being as "connected" as you are you could get us some Futaba "intel" on the Nimh question. :D

On the moving the RX antenna vertical- 2.4 is vertically polarized and I'll leave it at that. :)

The Futaba FASST 2.4 system rocks! B)

Just wondering why anyone would even want to uses a lipo pack for this purpose ? The nicad or NiMh packs last for years and are very cheap , safe and easy to charge ?? :rolleyes:

I know you asked Mike, but I can answer the questions you have.

The Nicd only recommendation pertains specifically to the receiver packs for the reasons I noted above. They make a similar recommendation for a number of their servos as well for the same reasons as above.

Futaba uses a variety of different packs in their transmitters including alkaline, NiMH, Nicad and lithium. Some people are using lipo packs in their transmitters that came with either NiMH or Nicad but none of the major radio makers, Futaba included, recommends or approves it.

If you talk to the service people (as I have) they will tell you to only use the same pack that came with the transmitter since it is desogned for that specific purpose.

Okay I thought I was going crazy.

Didn't mean to highjack the other thread.

So with what I read the 2.4 system dose not have a problem in Atlanta (when properly installed :p )

Fasst here I come....errr....here I come Fasst....

-Buck-

I noticed a reference to carbon fiber, which is death to SS signals. We learned very quickly with airplanes that carbon fiber needs to be used in such a manner so that it never comes between the transmitter and receiver antennas. Other objects like engines, fuel tanks, etc. can physically block or impede the 2.4 spread spectrum signals and this is why proper installation is critical. As Mike noted, Futaba specifically recommends getting the antenna up and out vertically in boats to minimize these potential issues.
Bill,

My reference to carbon fiber was from the boom tubes I shattered. I do use C/F cowlings on all my outriggers but not radio box lids. For the reasons you described, I’m apprehensive about the use of C/F for radio box lids but have seen many people run them successfully.

-Buck-

Buck,

Only problem with FASST is to the non users.. CUZ they are going to be chasing you around the pond..

ROCK ON FASST

Grim

O yea.. thanks Bill for covering that one for me.. I knew all the details about the reasons for battery chemistry but thought I would let it play out.. and it did.

O yea.. thanks Bill for covering that one for me.. I knew all the details about the reasons for battery chemistry but thought I would let it play out.. and it did.
And I knew that you knew but thought you might be hard at work getting new wonderful things ready for us.

I have to give credit where it is due, Krysta and Bill have been great resources for me on all things Futaba and FASST. Frank just teases me about running boats. Too "2D" for him. You really need to get him out with some fast boats to show him what they are capable of!!

We run 75mhz radios ALL THE TIME on the ATl. pond without a issue, same for FAST systems.
It wasn't just me that was having problems this past Sunday with 75 Mhz. Hope it was just an isolated anomaly.

-Buck-
Mikes problem is in the boat, I wouldn't venture a guess on the other ONE. ;)

Sorry you had the problem Buck.

Doug
I run a lipo pack for transmitter its sweet. The orginal transmitter packs that ive got and seen and i do have a new one are junk wont hold a charge or any capacity. My older 3pk manual says no nimhs, read it setting well it was something to do....

We run 75mhz radios ALL THE TIME on the ATl. pond without a issue, same for FAST systems.
It wasn't just me that was having problems this past Sunday with 75 Mhz. Hope it was just an isolated anomaly.

-Buck-

Doug
I run a lipo pack for transmitter its sweet. The orginal transmitter packs that ive got and seen and i do have a new one are junk wont hold a charge or any capacity. My older 3pk manual says no nimhs, read it setting well it was something to do....
That manual was flaged, been in the bathroom. :blink: Think the fumes clouded your interpetion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-Buck-

Doug
That manual was flaged, been in the bathroom. :blink: Think the fumes clouded your interpetion. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Baldy leave the bald guy alone..... you know what they say when you get old its better than sex :p :lol: :lol:

-Buck-

Doug
LIKE WAITING ON THE RETREIVE BOAT TO BRING YOUR BOAT BACK! :lol:

I'm in no way bashing the ATL pond or any of the fine guys I meet there Sunday. It is a great site indeed.

I didn't write my original post to start any bad feelings about this pond or suggest that there was a major issue here, it was simply to state that I have made my donation to the ATL pond gods and hopefully be good to go for the Spring Nats.

-Buck-

Latest posts

Back