prop guard boat stands

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert, I have a Prop gaurd box that is just lying around my house - that I'll NEVER use. It bolts on the back of a PVC stand. Has a trap door/etc. If you want it - I'll ship it to you.. Just pay me for the shipping - under $10.00. I think Gaurds are more trouble than they are worth. NAMBA probably requires it but IMPBA it's not required. Let me know and I can send a pic of it.

Thanx ted but i got lots of wood and time .I agree on the part of more trouble than worth .Once i go to a fun run with the club ill see what they do .

What I have seen get into the prop more than anything else is the starter cord. The prop guard is a simple way to keep the cord out of the prop.

But, we've all seen someone get cut by a spinning prop. It sounds simple to avoid the prop, but it happens.

Al Hobbs

all my boats have their own stand with prop guards built in. None of that cheap PVC stuff. I have 4 children that have been around boats their entire lives. Small amount of effort for the additional safety.

Robert Holland

The other good that comes from a guard is it also protects the hardware hanging off the back. I love mine and when I start bulding my own stands they will have a guard for sure!!!

Ive had this pvc stand for years and works great for 20 sp hydros i dont thinck i would use one on bigger boats.

To me, if multiple sets of rules require a propguard, there must be something to it or else it wouldn't be required. Don't know about IMPBA either but this is what the R/C Unlimiteds rulebook says:

All boats starting their engines in the designated pit area shall be equipped

with a “prop guard” intended to prevent accidental contact with the prop

from all directions.

From the APBA rulebook:

33-01 No engine shall be started or turned over on the tables or in the working pits unless the prop is removed or properly protected from accidental contact. All boaters’ starting stands should be equipped with propeller guards to prevent accidental contact with the propeller when the engine is started.

And from the NAMBA rulebook:

No boats will be started on tables or in the working pits with prop attached, unless it

is properly shrouded and protected from accidental contact. No boats will be started

in the working pits and then carried to the launching area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rcu Unw guys have the right idea. its on the stand maybe Bill or Marty can post a pic. When I went to the West to race I had to use a cardboard box to cover the prop area. No big deal and very safe found one DSCF0180.jpg

Here you go, Mike, multiple versions. The last one, being the Elam, is sitting in my living room if you need close up pictures

Robbies Pak.jpgTide on stand.jpg

Tosti Rock pits.jpgWorking on Elam.jpg

This doesnt make a ton of sense since the most dangerous time is picking the boat up from the stand and walking to the water with it. A lot of times launch areas are slippery and this is where the real danger is. Anyone that is in the hot pits should know the dangers of starting these boats and account for them. We get plenty of carpet time so slow down and think. I would rather not have someone pick my boat up and bang the propeller into the stand that I have put hours into S/B and tweaking. If someone wants to build one into there stand then by all means they should. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Dave you must only go to races that have acres of pit area. Prop shielding is a good idea,esp. when pits are small. BTW must of us try to use the same pit person who knows our needs both in the pits and on the water.

Dave you must only go to races that have acres of pit area. Prop shielding is a good idea,esp. when pits are small. BTW must of us try to use the same pit person who knows our needs both in the pits and on the water.
Actually I've seen more close calls in crowded pits from people lifting boats high up to go over and around stands with prop guards than the other way around. Some rules that may have the best intentions in mind create more potential for injury, a launch T handle requirement on outriggers is a prime example. To release grip from a transom mounted T handle sends one's fingers directly towards spinning props. I've seen 4 people over the years wind up with a few stitches in fingertips because of that stupid T handle. What it really boils down to is being careful and aware of one's surroundings not only during racing but afterwards as well. I'm guilty of that one myself just blowing out motors and Hammer's got a hole in his race apron to prove it. :wacko:
We all just need to be as careful as we can folks. ;)

T handles were for lifting the boat out of the water Prop guards great idea. You make the choice.

The gas boats and big nitro boats are throw blades!!!

Nails

Back