Pre-Registration for the Pacific Northwest Scale Race is now closed.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rick,

We have a fair amount pre-registered and I think the turnout will be pretty good. None of the scale clubs in the NW do any pre-registration so no one is very used to it. It seems like almost everyone at the RCU race last weekend is coming so that's 50 plus boats right there. It's pretty common now for a lot of guys to run 2 boats in the same classes, especially nitro and Gas Scale, or 1 nitro boat and 1 1/8th FE or Gas boat.

It's been several years since we did this race and at that time the classes were 1/8th nitro and 1/7th FE. In addition to those classes we have people registered in 1/8th FE, 1/10th FE (modern and vintage), Gas Scale and Thunderboats. The last few days I have spent way too much time on the computer writing the Rules and Safety package, following up on the various details and a answering a lot of questions, (I have received around 20 emails and texts today alone), to make a list. I need to spend some time working on having my own stuff ready to race. Beau Rarig is going to be scoring the race and I will ask him about posting the heat sheets after the race.

Hopefully Chris Denslow, a truly gifted photographer, will also document the race.

I think it will be successful and we will keep it going. Great opportunity to come to Washington and race models twice, first in the Seattle area at the Scale Race and then attend the RCU race and the H1 race in Tri-Cites (which is an awesome place to watch the big boats run), all in the span of two weeks. You will love Tri-Cities and feel right at home because it's so freaking hot, but probably not for a Floridian such as yourself. A western Washington webfoot like me pretty much melts:oops:.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Mike.
Sounds like a very well represented race.
One of these days I would really like to make this race...
Only thing i,d like to see added would be sport-40.
You guys enjoy the race, some day hope to meet you.

Mike, I'll be there but, but not to race. After two DNSs, one DNF and a 3rd last weekend, it has me thinking I would be in the way of others on the water. Since the schedule is already tight, time wise, I don't want to be the reason that everything is slowed down. That said, I'll see you all Friday morning to help set up and maybe do some running after everything is ready to go. Who knows, maybe I(with a little bit of help.....Okay, maybe a lot of help) can get the boat to run well enough to be somewhat "competitive" for Tri-Cities:eek:

I know the logistics are tough if you are driving from Florida to Seattle to bring your boats, so I tell you what Rick, you fly out here and I will have a nitro boat for you to run.

Mark, like any racing the key element is preparation. Everything that needs to fixed on a model boat is way easier to do at home in the shop than it is on race day.

Once we get set up and I get my boats on a westside tune I will give you all the help I can and I'm sure we can get your boat running.

In the meantime this week, make sure your fuel system is solid with no leaks in the tubing (especially at the ends)-check by blowing into the pressure line to the main tank and pinching the line from the sump tank to the needle. If it doesn't hold pressure you have a problem that has to be fixed. Also cinch up your fuel tank stoppers a little in case they have shrunk a little bit. Remember to pinch the pressure line before you quit blowing into it or you might get a mouthful of residual nitro left in the tank. Also take care to make sure that when you put your cowling on you are not pinching any fuel, water or pressure tubing. Check the pipe coupler, pressure tubing to your main tank and exhaust ring between your header and the motor are good and are not overly burnt, shrunken or soft. Blow out your needle valve in both directions with brake clean and check the bearings in your motor. Pull the motor completely down, blow out the bearings with brakeclean, rotate by hand and if they are lumpy-replace. I use Risolone as assembly lube because it's cheap, has a 10 wt. oil base and is full of corrosion inhibitors. Set the pipe at 10 1/4" from the back of the case to the weld on the pipe. Range check the radio gear. Check that all your linkages are solid with minimal slop.

If all this stuff is right, there's absolutly no reason we can't get you running so you can race next weekend.

First thing to accomplish is not to worry about being competitive, but just finishing heats. The corny old adage that "to finish first, first you have to finish" is certainly true. One measure of how you are doing is how many times you are in the chase boat. You might be surprised how well you can do if you just finish all 4 preliminary heats.

Last edited:
The above "pressure test" will only tell you 1/2 of the equation.
IF you have a cracked/split line inside the tank, or have a kink in one of your tubes creating a restruction, the pressure test will NOT show that.
The only way I have found to identify these is to siphon test.

Not to worry Mike, I'll have the boat at the lake on Friday. I'm already under orders from Paul Jackson to bring it out. In all honesty, I'm more worried about Tri-Cities since it's a points race and I still need a second attempted start for the season. In fact, I would like to do better than I did last race as 225 for the year would tend to suck. That said, IF we can get it running decently on Friday, I might be talked into running this weekend o_O

IF you have a cracked/split line inside the tank, or have a kink in one of your tubes creating a restruction, the pressure test will NOT show that.
Absolutely right. I was taught when I first started racing to rebuild my tanks before every season with fresh brass and stoppers.

I would like to thank Mike and his staff for putting on a great weekend event. We had it all:
  • GREAT RACING
  • GREAT WEATHER
  • LOTS OF CROSS HELPING WHEN IT WAS NEEDED (heaven knows, I needed all the help I could get and got it from three guys who were truly fantastic in that regard)
  • NO MAJOR CRASHES AND ARGUMENTS
Okay, so we didn't have everything, the three out of four we did have was FANTASTIC!!!!! Hopefully, we get a larger turn out next time

Back