PPG 2021 Clear.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Stollfuss

Anybody ever use PPG 2021 clear over top of rattle can paint? Ever have any reactions? If so what type of paint caused the reaction?

Thanks!

Josh-

The problem there would be "will it bond" to your paint.

Alot of the PPG clears are pretty tame believe it or not,

But I have only sprayed DP48 (old and new) over other

types of paint with no problems,,in other words, I have

used PPG DP primer as a sealer and it worked.

I guess that probably dosen't help you much :unsure:

Used rattle can paint to paint a windshield on my Phil Thomas Sport 40 a few years ago and used Concept 2020 over it. It wrinkled the black paint. This was some paint I bought at Kmart I think. Don't remember if it was Krylon or not.

The two biggest issues you will have will be one, what happens to the rattle can paint when the PPG chemically "kicks off" (i.e. wrinkling paint as just mentioned). Second will be although your clear topcoat will be fuel proof the paint under the clear still is not. All it takes is a few hard to see scratches that get through the clear exposing the non fuel proof paint beneath & lifting can occur when exposed to nitro fuel & vapors. I've seen this happen to people on more than one occasion & it is not pretty. :(

Is there a type of rattle can paint that would be better under PPG 2021 clear? For instance rattle can paint sold to paint R/C car bodies?

I've primered the hull with PPG K36 primer, I plan on doing a multi colored paint job, and I'm considering alternatives to buying PPG concept color, as I'm going to need 4 different colors mixed, and in quarts or even pints it's going to get really expensive by the time I'm done.

thanks!

Josh-

I know it takes time but do a test piece first. I've used Krylon with 2021 and it worked. I've also used krylon "crome" paint and it hazed up. (boy that one got expensive) THATS WHY ding bats like me charge so much for a paint job. Paint ain't cheap. Wait till you get a crinkle paint job and have to sand that off.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about hobby rattle can paint like "Tamiya"? anybody ever try spraying clear over this type of paint? Any success?

Josh-

.........as I'm going to need 4 different colors mixed, and in quarts or even pints it's going to get really expensive by the time I'm done.
And now you know why all my SGX's are painted in the same paint scheme. Yup, the good stuff ain't cheap but the up side is, unless you crash it, it's paint it & forget it. ;)

Well I guess one good thing is the reducer and hardner is the same for the concept color and the 2021 clear.

And I'll have enough left over to paint a few more boats to match!

Josh-

I've used engine paint made for painting blocks and intake manifolds to paint a boat - worked really well. Both the base and clear were rattle can paint and went on very easily....don't know how it would react w/ ppg paints, but I talked w/ a guy whom I work with and he said the trick to clear coating w/out wrinkling the paint is to lightly mist on the first coat of clear - and I'm not even talking an even light coat, just misting 100% of the hull and letting that dry really good. Then go back over w/ a light coat and then a heavy coat and that eliminates any wrinkling you might get if you apply the clear on too heavy and the paints react. I got one wrinkle spot in my paint where the clear got sprayed on too thick and caused wrinkling, but I didn't use the misting technique - paint looks really hazy at first but when it dries it's nice and shiny. Might try it on a piece of scrap first and see what happens.

Is there a type of rattle can paint that would be better under PPG 2021 clear? For instance rattle can paint sold to paint R/C car bodies?

I've primered the hull with PPG K36 primer, I plan on doing a multi colored paint job, and I'm considering alternatives to buying PPG concept color, as I'm going to need 4 different colors mixed, and in quarts or even pints it's going to get really expensive by the time I'm done.

thanks!

Josh-
Go with the PPG OMNI AE or AU from the same dealer. It's only 10-12$ a pint. The clear is compatible.

Back