Planking the deck

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.freeze

Thought I wood share this with you guys. I was contemplating the paint job on my .18 shovel-nose hydro, and I remembered an article in RCBM where they covered a fiberglass hull with veneer, so I figured what the heck lets give it a try. I went to a local cabinet shop and picked up a 1'x2' piece of mahogany veneer for $14 out the door, and off I went. I started by sanding the hull with 220 grit paper to give the glue a bite and then wiped it down with prep-sol( edit do not use the product prep sol I used wax and grease remover and called it prep-sol). Working with the veneer is very easy as it cuts well with a utility knife, so after checking the grain pattern I laid out my design. I adhered the veneer using gap-filling thick ca.

102_2251.jpg

102_2252.jpg

102_2254.jpg

102_2255.jpg

I wiped it down with a damp cloth to bring out the grain for the picture.

102_2259.jpg

The work is far from over but this much was accomplished in about 2 hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mr redneck, your boat looks beutifull! i love the nostagic look of the old wooden boats.please keep the pics coming. mike.

Thank you for the kind words, and thanks for noticing the book marking Ray, I spent half the time to get this far planning how to use the gaining before I cut into it.

From what I have seen every classy thunder boat has to have a driver, so. Say hello to Miss Shannon Marie, named for my wife. I'm still contemplating the rest of the paint and graphics layout. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of naming it Sportin' Wood

102_2265.jpg

102_2263.jpg

102_2262.jpg

that looks great!

i noticed the word "prep sol". i work in a body shop and this caught my attention. i never use this type product as it contains oil type solvent. it is mostly a degreaser. it can absorb into the finish you are working on. it is also highly flammable and static from wiping could cause a fire. i use water on sanded products and make sure it is dry before glueing. not trying to be bossey, but safety is of the utmost importance. many people dont realize these products can be very lethal. a home by me just burned down thursday when a home type bodyman dropped a can of cleaner in the garage and it ran under the refridge and ............. it was ugly.

dan

that looks great!i noticed the word "prep sol". i work in a body shop and this caught my attention. i never use this type product as it contains oil type solvent. it is mostly a degreaser. it can absorb into the finish you are working on. it is also highly flammable and static from wiping could cause a fire. i use water on sanded products and make sure it is dry before glueing. not trying to be bossey, but safety is of the utmost importance. many people dont realize these products can be very lethal. a home by me just burned down thursday when a home type bodyman dropped a can of cleaner in the garage and it ran under the refridge and ............. it was ugly.

dan
Dan, I'm glad you picked up on that, I must appologize for mis use of terminology. I used a wax and grease remover as a prep solvent therefore I called it prep sol. Thank you for pointing out the posible dangers of using the wrong product.

Well I made a shark fin, I kinda like it.

Before:

102_2269.jpg

After:

102_2270.jpg

102_2267.jpg

Trying to decide on a stain color as well

from left to right

Golden Pecan, Natural, Red Mahogany, Colonial Maple, Cherry

102_2268.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Red Mahogany with the rest of the boat in a cadillac pearl white

caddy white has a bit of a blue tint in the light doesn't it? or is that corvette white? lol i think a dark color stain would look great with white! (not sure witch is witch on your color board) lol

Was damp dreary morning so I went with the Mahogany

102_2275.jpg

102_2273.jpg

This is the white I have, I guess it does shift blue but also shifts to goldish yellow

HPIM4516.jpg

As with most of my paint scemes, they hardly ever turn out as first intended. :D

So here is what I came up with. What do you think?

102_2286.jpg

102_2290.jpg

102_2291.jpg

102_2295.jpg

102_2297.jpg

Thanks guys!

Had to put my driver back on and shoot a few more, she's having a bad hair day.

102_2299.jpg

102_2300.jpg

102_2298.jpg

Thanks guys!Had to put my driver back on and shoot a few more, she's having a bad hair day.

102_2299.jpg

102_2300.jpg

102_2298.jpg
i like it stan im looking at mine right now, i worked hard to get that hull from mike so i have to build it.. nova 5 port 21 and killer fast prop..pure suicide..lol

tk

Thanks Terry, boy it's going to be a hand full with a 21 in it. I dropped my cvr.18 in it and she was cooking. now I have to see if the extra weight from the planking helps settle it down.

Thanks Terry, boy it's going to be a hand full with a 21 in it. I dropped my cvr.18 in it and she was cooking. now I have to see if the extra weight from the planking helps settle it down.
yeah i meant a nova 12, dumb thumbs hit me agian.. or sausage finger..lol

tk

Back