Pipe Length and other stuff on CMB 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscrash

Supporting Member
I am running a Phil Thomas Super Sport with a new CMB 45 RS with an Andy Brown pipe. Can anyone tell me the pipe length range. The prop that I am currently running is a 450 2 blade

Also, I think I am having an issue with the third channel needle but I may be wrong. Two years ago I ran a blue headed MAC and when I started it, it would gurgle extremely rich until it hit the water. On land, there is now way I could get it up on the pipe. Then last year I ran an OPS and it would do the same thing. With the CMB, I am able to hit the pipe instantly on land, and it seems lean on the water as well. I am using one of the Russian third channels that Speedmaster sells. I have completely cleaned it out. Turned it out all the way and the same thing happens. I even changed to a non-servo thrid channel needle, and I get the same thing. It is even turned all the way out. I ran fuel straight from the tank to the carb and it richens up and responds the same as the MAC use to.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Chris

I am running a Phil Thomas Super Sport with a new CMB 45 RS with an Andy Brown pipe. Can anyone tell me the pipe length range. The prop that I am currently running is a 450 2 blade
Also, I think I am having an issue with the third channel needle but I may be wrong. Two years ago I ran a blue headed MAC and when I started it, it would gurgle extremely rich until it hit the water. On land, there is now way I could get it up on the pipe. Then last year I ran an OPS and it would do the same thing. With the CMB, I am able to hit the pipe instantly on land, and it seems lean on the water as well. I am using one of the Russian third channels that Speedmaster sells. I have completely cleaned it out. Turned it out all the way and the same thing happens. I even changed to a non-servo thrid channel needle, and I get the same thing. It is even turned all the way out. I ran fuel straight from the tank to the carb and it richens up and responds the same as the MAC use to.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Chris
Get rid of the third chanel

Randy Cartright

Any ideas?

thanks,

Chris
Get rid of the third chanel

Randy Cartright
Chris if your coming to Evansville bring it friday if you can,we will sort it out. By the way NICE ELAM

So you saw the pics of the Elam I hear. Thanks for the compliments, but I can't take credit for the awesome paint work. Dean did a great job for me. I will be trying to race her this coming weekend. I'll definitely have my hands full this week.

What time are you going to be at the lake Friday? I would appreciate some input on making it run right.

Thanks,

Chris

So you saw the pics of the Elam I hear. Thanks for the compliments, but I can't take credit for the awesome paint work. Dean did a great job for me. I will be trying to race her this coming weekend. I'll definitely have my hands full this week.
What time are you going to be at the lake Friday? I would appreciate some input on making it run right.

Thanks,

Chris
I will be there at noon come any time Buddy will be there all day..........Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike. If I come down, it will be around noon also. My dad is heading to Arizona on Saturday for some surgery and He will be gone for a few weeks, soo I will have to get down to the lake and get home for a family dinner before he leaves.

Would like to get help with the Elam. Plan to run it at the race Saturday.

I think I have the needle issue figured out. The low end was way too lean. Now it seems to be responding perfectly. Will head to the pond tomorrow.

See ya,

Chris

Well after spending a couple of nights, and many frustrating hours I have finally figured out the third channel issue. I started out tonight with three different needles, and non of them seemed to let the motor get enough fuel. So I took Randy Cartwright's suggestion, and bypassed the third channel all together. The boat took off. It ran on pipe for a number of different laps, but still would fall off slightly every once in a while. So I brought it in thinking that I was going crazy. There is no way this motor should allow me to run full fuel from the tank. One last thing to check, and of course the answer, the fuel filter. This was a brand new Dynamite large barrel filter. I took it apart, and couldn't blow any air through the sintered (sp?) filter. It appeared to be clogged with something, but couldn't see anything. Changed to a spare fuel filter, and the motor was so sloppy rich that I couldn't start it.

After turning the carb needle, and the third channel needle in instead of out finally, I think it is finally ready to go for the weekend.

What a headache.

Thanks for all the input.

Chris

Chris,

Lose the fuel filter it doesn't need to be in-line if you filter your fuel before you use it.

I never use fuel filters in-line because of your problem. Keep It Simple! Most of the

crap in the fuel filter is from not cleaning them after you run. Just filter your fuel

before hand and give that engine a rich mixture. :lol:

Good Luck Racing,

Mark Sholund

Back