Pay N Pak

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi BIll,

I'm picking the easy one.... :p The '73 Pay N' Pak......Heres some pics of where I'm at....

I measured and marked out the center point of my wing and put in a cut piece of wood to keep the wing supports evenly spaced. i laid a thin strip of CA along the wing over my marks, and spritzed on CA acclerant, holding the cowl upside down I carefully lined up my reference marks and pressed it down....In addition, I marked out where my exhaust cutouts will be on the sides, and the top scoop will be a bit more forward on the nose then what the pics shows, right in front of the first line towards the nose is where it should be....I'm using a cabinet latch to secure the cowl in the rear.

I'm going to make the decals from orange & black monokote

Enjoy the pics
RJ, thats looking VERY nice indeed....is that the 20 or the 40 Pak? Did i show you any pics of my 60 Pak that im building? I just dont remember if i ever posted em or not. Keep goin on it man cause its lookin GOOD! :)

Hi BIll,

I'm picking the easy one.... :p The '73 Pay N' Pak......Heres some pics of where I'm at....

I measured and marked out the center point of my wing and put in a cut piece of wood to keep the wing supports evenly spaced. i laid a thin strip of CA along the wing over my marks, and spritzed on CA acclerant, holding the cowl upside down I carefully lined up my reference marks and pressed it down....In addition, I marked out where my exhaust cutouts will be on the sides, and the top scoop will be a bit more forward on the nose then what the pics shows, right in front of the first line towards the nose is where it should be....I'm using a cabinet latch to secure the cowl in the rear.

I'm going to make the decals from orange & black monokote

Enjoy the pics
RJ, thats looking VERY nice indeed....is that the 20 or the 40 Pak? Did i show you any pics of my 60 Pak that im building? I just dont remember if i ever posted em or not. Keep goin on it man cause its lookin GOOD! :)
Hi Bill,

Thats the sport 20 pak that I'm working on now. I built two of the 1/8 scale pay n paks, and man those cowls were long!

Love to see some pics of any of your paks

It almost sounds like Bill wants a Pak as well, or should I say a modded Pak. Looking for ward to getting my kits in a day or two. Between Grim and I's advice to Griz, the Pak should be fun. I will have to start out by modding one to get the deeper picklefork depth the Atlas will take, not a big deal. What will be fun is to get decals for a 30" 77 Atlas and 78 Miss Madison. Any ideas anyone? BTW, I'm looking for donationed new engines and pipes. I figure Misshydro gets a lot of her stuff for free, so why not ask :lol:

It almost sounds like Bill wants a Pak as well, or should I say a modded Pak. Looking for ward to getting my kits in a day or two. Between Grim and I's advice to Griz, the Pak should be fun. I will have to start out by modding one to get the deeper picklefork depth the Atlas will take, not a big deal. What will be fun is to get decals for a 30" 77 Atlas and 78 Miss Madison. Any ideas anyone? BTW, I'm looking for donationed new engines and pipes. I figure Misshydro gets a lot of her stuff for free, so why not ask :lol:
well, The Pay n Pak hull is second to my favorite hull, the U-71 Atlas. Two of some of the most coolest looking hulls..

C'mon bill grab yourself another Pak kit!!! :lol:

Hey HJ,

I believe PGI Graphics has the Madison, they may have to scale down a bit. Or they can create decals for you if you have newton's color sheet & send a copy to them.

With all the intimate detailed advice you've been offering over the last several years, building this boat should be a walk in the park and a perfect example of showing us how you do it-----> :p <-----

Last edited by a moderator:
Walk in the park? Probably, though I bet there is at least one person that thinks I'm full of crap. I'll bet you know who that is as well. I'm hoping the kits come in tomorrow so I can get to bashing them. It's going to be fun doing some redesign work on them

Happy birthday RJ
Thank you very much griz2575, B)

just hit the big 41! spending my day sanding down my Dumas U-76 Atlas, ready for a repaint!

You know thats one of the most coolest reasons why wood boats rule! you can almost do anything you want, just use your imagination. This is a very versatile hull to play with. This hull alone without any mods can pass for the U-76 Atlas, the '77-80something Madison, U-6 Frank Kenny toyota, '73 Pay N pak U-25,

Betcha never knew that by asking a simple question about a building jig would end up with 8 pages of info! See whatcha started!

I'm glad you said 80-something, RJ. In either 81 or 82, the boat lost it's nose cowl at a race on the west coast, not sure which race. The boat was fitted with a nose cowl like was used on the 73 or 77 Budweiser, if I remember correctly. I'll have to see what I can find out on this one. For some reason, the engine cover was left out west and has since vanished and nobody seems to know where it went. Wouldn't surprise me either way that it shows up someday on Fleabay or was just thrown in a dumpster.

I was close on that nose. It's from the same mold that was used on the rebuild of the 70 Pak into a conventional arangement from a cabover between the 70 and 71 seasons. Since the 70 Pak was sold to Bernie Little after the 72 season I was right on that part. What I also found is that the boat had the squared nose in a picture from the 1980 season, but had the round one in 1981. I'll post the links to all four shots:

from 1970 http://www.newtonmarine.com/plan_details.php?prodId=125&category=5

from 1971 http://www.newtonmarine.com/plan_details.php?prodId=126&category=5

from 1980 http://www.newtonmarine.com/plan_details.php?prodId=151&category=5

from 1981 http://www.newtonmarine.com/plan_details.php?prodId=152&category=5

RJ, on the engine mount you mentioned in the other forum, use only 6061 or 7075 aluminum. Anything softer will gum up files, won't hold threads and will flex/fail too easily.

Bill, whick size kit is the one that needs to be dressed?

RJ, on the engine mount you mentioned in the other forum, use only 6061 or 7075 aluminum. Anything softer will gum up files, won't hold threads and will flex/fail too easily.

Yeah I hear you on the soft aluminum, however I really like to use that Solinger .21 mount, its a nice piece. Its too bad my ops wont fit in the hole spacing. I might just blow my Tax return on a Novarossi .21

Happy birthday RJ
Thank you very much griz2575, B)

just hit the big 41! spending my day sanding down my Dumas U-76 Atlas, ready for a repaint!

You know thats one of the most coolest reasons why wood boats rule! you can almost do anything you want, just use your imagination. This is a very versatile hull to play with. This hull alone without any mods can pass for the U-76 Atlas, the '77-80something Madison, U-6 Frank Kenny toyota, '73 Pay N pak U-25,

Betcha never knew that by asking a simple question about a building jig would end up with 8 pages of info! See whatcha started!
You are right about that, but it is awesome how you guys have given me all these tips and tricks. Thanks

Im sorrry HJ, i shoulda mentioned which one is which...the first one on the left is the 20 boat, its 30 years old...the second one is the 40 boat...3rd and 4th pic is the 60 boat...ive also got a 20 kit and 2 60 kits...i picked up 3 1/8 Paks at of all places....a flea market for 30 dollars each! Ive got a feeling im gonna be pulling out the 20 kit and try to follow along with you guys!

Yeah I hear you on the soft aluminum, however I really like to use that Solinger .21 mount, its a nice piece. Its too bad my ops wont fit in the hole spacing. I might just blow my Tax return on a Novarossi .21
RJ, i mounted a K&B 3.5 IB on a set of Solinger mounts...i just moved the motor a bit and redrilled and tapped the holes to fit....they are really nice mounts...reasonable price too! BUT if you put a TOP(NR)5 port engine in your boat, you WILL have a lil HOT ROD! :lol:

RJ, i mounted a K&B 3.5 IB on a set of Solinger mounts...i just moved the motor a bit and redrilled and tapped the holes to fit....they are really nice mounts...reasonable price too! BUT if you put a TOP(NR)5 port engine in your boat, you WILL have a lil HOT ROD! :lol:
More power is always better ..thats why there is a throttle !!!!! :lol: :lol:

This was a fun & easy build for me, and the cool thing is that these kits go for around 30 bux on ebay. Dumas just recently raised the prices on most of their boats by around 10-15 bux.

I may have to redrilll holes in my Solinger mount if I wish to use the OPS .21. I've heard good things about the Rossi .21 and its affordable. So I'l just order one up! I've always like those Italian engines anyway! OPS, Rossi, & Picco oh my!

Next comes the most dreaded part......painting.

More than likely I'll seal up the outside wood with 50/50 mix of 30 min epoxy with 91% alcohol. I usually brush on a few coats then let it sit for a day then sand and apply a few more coats and sand again till smooth. Then paint over that.

The wing was the only piece that had any visable grain, on that I mixed mixed balloons with 30 min epoxy and sqee-geed it over the wing with a scrap piece of 1/32 ply.

The UPS man was nice to me today. Got home from school and found a box big enough for a couple of kits sitting on my doorstep. The good part, I can start bashing. The bad part, it won't start until Monday or Tuesday. Even picked up some West's 207 hardener to coat the boat with.

Okay Bill, Griz and RJ, break out the kits if you have them and as soon as I get a roll of film shot and processed, I'll be getting a build thread rolling :)

The UPS man was nice to me today. Got home from school and found a box big enough for a couple of kits sitting on my doorstep. The good part, I can start bashing. The bad part, it won't start until Monday or Tuesday. Even picked up some West's 207 hardener to coat the boat with.

Okay Bill, Griz and RJ, break out the kits if you have them and as soon as I get a roll of film shot and processed, I'll be getting a build thread rolling :)
Sounds good I will be posting soon

Back