P.T. Sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Hamilton

I have had a couple of Phils boats in the past, but always with exposed pipes. This winter I built the stealth with an enclosed pipe. I cut out the three slots on each side behind the canopy. Do you that run this set up find it necessary to use any other outlets or holes else-where? Thank you, Drew

If you mean the slots on top of the cowl those should ventilate the cowl ok.

If you are worried about heat on the pipe you coud cut some small slots in the cowl deck over the top of the big part of the pipe.

Be sure that the tailpipe will not leak exhaust into the engine well this will recirculate thru the motor and make the motor bog.

Whats anyone else been doing? I know there are several boats out there with pipes under the deck.

PHIL

Hey phil, here in Dist.3 I am the last one running your turbine cowl. everyone else is running the stealth. Rick bellinger has captured lightning in a bottle with that stealth cowl boat of his! Maybe he can chime in on this. I do beleive he runs his pipe under the deck. MARK

Good evening Drew and Mark;

"Lightning in a bottle, huh?!?!?! Mark, if you think the P.T. SS45 is fast, wait till you see Jackson's new Top Gun III, talk about lightning, his new boat is a real water rocket, but did we expect anything less, "I HATE HIM" Who ever stole his old bot, please give it back?????

Drew, I am running a stealth, w/ pipe layed down inside of hull, Jerry Crowther actually set the boat up, I have made very few changes, since I purchased the boat, but as far as the ventilation, there are 3, 1/2" wide by about 4" long slits, center 1 right over engine head, the other 2 outer, about an inch farther back, from where the center one starts.

Then in the back, were the cowl meets back down to the flat of the cowl, there is a large inverted "tear drop" shape.

For the outlet of exhaust, Jerry sacrificed the inlet end of a tuned pipe, inlet end protruding out transom, larger section goes around the stinger muffler.

after a run, the engine comes back cool to the touch, and knock on wood, I have no problem with exhaust under the cowl.

Drew, what are you going to be powering with??

good luck with it.

Mark, see ya this weekend, with POP'S ??

Rick

Terry;

The only problem I see from your pics, is the small diameter brass tube you have for the exhaust outlet, you have basically made the stinger of the pipe alot longer,

The parabolic pipes create alot of back pressure, and heat, and I think the long stinger is going to make that problem worse.

Just my 2 cents worth

Rick

Thanks Rick

I would have thought that a 5/8 pipe would have bin big enough. Any suggestion on what would be a good size to go to?

Thanks

Terry

Thanks guys for all the help. I would have been pissed if I would of painted it and the had to tear it apart again cause it didn't work cause of the pipe.

Terry

Avoiding back pressure from the extension is a good idea. Using that silicone hose could make the boat more tail heavy than necessary. Maybe you can find some of the k&S aluminum tube larger than your stinger ID and connect it with some silicone hose.

Dont think about any other type of hose it would just melt.

You shouldnt have to worry about the tube you put in the transom, you can connect the larger tube to that.

I used a 1/2" ID extension on my bardahl round nose sport40 with the andy pipe the extension is about 6 inches long it didnt seem to affect that setup.

On my SSP21 I used a K&S aluminum tube 1/2" id it was only a bit larger than the Cooper pipe stinger and it works fine.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info also.And thanks Ron for posting the pics. I haven't rigged my stealth PT40 yet,but this surely answers a question on my boat (The Eagle boat).I've been looking at this boat for a bit wondering about the exhaust the previous owner ran.There is an aluminum 3/8 o/d 5/16 i/d yep.312,tube through the transom to the pipe.The transom never had a larger hole.Don't know what pipe he had. I've been reluctant to build it that way.Now I know for sure.

Wonder how it ran? Probably the reason he sold it. :huh:

Also,there's absolutly NO ventalation holes in the cowl.None!

Must have been pretty warm in there too.

A Mac and parabolic just waiting to go in.

Thanks again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoiding back pressure from the extension is a good idea. Using that silicone hose could make the boat more tail heavy than necessary. Maybe you can find some of the k&S aluminum tube larger than your stinger ID and connect it with some silicone hose.

Dont think about any other type of hose it would just melt.

You shouldnt have to worry about the tube you put in the transom, you can connect the larger tube to that.

I used a 1/2" ID extension on my bardahl round nose sport40 with the andy pipe the extension is about 6 inches long it didnt seem to affect that setup.

On my SSP21 I used a K&S aluminum tube 1/2" id it was only a bit larger than the Cooper pipe stinger and it works fine.

Phil first off thanks for going out and getting that roundtuit I really enjoyed the tapes!!

Sencondly, on the tubing causing to much tail weight........I really have my doubts that this would be the case! After years of running the rear radio box and now changing to front radio box I have shifted considerable weight forward with that alone. The weight of the tubing is not near what the radio box and gear are.

Mark just hasnt had time to get used to my new setup therefore he harped on Ricks but I got a surprise for him, Rick and Jackson :p , I had a few brain farts at the Winter Nats cause I was very busy running and scoring the race so I didnt do very well, it will be different this weekend! See ya in Brandon Mark..........

Last edited:
Speedy, I knew you would be peepin around the corner lol! What I think the problem is with your boat is that when you painted that thing white to make it look like mine, you added too much weight with all that paint! :D After this weekend I get to change your nickname to "sausage boy"! ;) see ya in Brandon

Speedy, I knew you would be peepin around the corner lol! What I think the problem is with your boat is that when you painted that thing white to make it look like mine, you added too much weight with all that paint! :D After this weekend I get to change your nickname to "sausage boy"! ;) see ya in Brandon

Yea I knew you would drop the "Speedy" nickname after I repainted as the O Berto but Sausage Boy??? Come on now........ Mr. Pepperoni is better than Sausage Boy!.

You know if it were legal in Scale I would have it read:

Oh Boy O Byrdo :lol:

This weekend belongs to my Speedy Printing she's going out in a blaze of Glory before she gets repainted! You can fight for 2nd and 3rd with the others........See ya in Brandon Candyman!

Last edited:
Yea I knew you would drop the "Speedy" nickname after I repainted as the O Berto but Sausage Boy??? Come on now........ Mr. Pepperoni is better than Sausage Boy!.
Hey Mark, How about "Jerky" Oberto makes good beef jerky too :lol: :lol:

sorry Ron what are friends for if they cant help :lol:

PHIL
HA! Look there Phils a comic :blink: Good one Phil and thanks for trying to help Mark figure out my next nickname! I am sure he will find a good one on his own B)

I agree O'Berto does make good Beef Jerky but I vote for Mr. Pepperroni :p

Back