Olympia 1/8 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Glenn we run at least 1 heat of scale at every race. Sometimes as many as three. Depends on the race. Not sure about SoCal. Guys tell me it's kinda spotty.

HJ I know Marty has different rules for Gas Scale in the NW as it is still just a regional class and is not a NAMBA class yet so the NAMBA Scale Rules wouldn't apply yet. They are still making adjustments with engines and such before a set of rules can be submitted for NAMBA as a full fledged class. I would think that they would mirror the 1/8 scale rules in a lot of ways but again you would need to consult him on this.
Hi Mike - Hope your doing well- Sorry your not going to be in San Diego I was looking forward to seeing you.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the full set of rules for the GAS SCALE HYDRO class are posted on the www.pnwta.org website. We believe we have finalized the motor rules for the class as the boats are now capable of going faster than the 1/8 scale class in heat racing trim. As far as the scale component of the rules we really have mirrored what has been used in the NW from the time Roger Newton invented the class so no big surprises there.

HJ as far as Marty's gas scale is concerned you would have to ask him. I do not know how the rules for gas scale are being interpreted.
Mike, I wasn't refering to the scale or gas scale class per se'. What I was talking about is since Marty is the Unlimited Chairman, he needs to be consistant in what he does. It wouldn't look good if he said that the 7207 and 7474 have to run a wing in the scale class but not in gas scale. At best some would be slightly upset, at worst he could be attacked for making rulings that looked like they were made to benefit him and his boat over the advancement of both the scale and gas scale classes.
Hydro Junkie- I wanted to thank you for letting me eat steak this Saturday for dinner instead of some heart healthy meal - please let me explain why.

When this thread first started I made a bet with my wife that you wouldn't be able to keep your uniformed opinions to yourself and she said no he must have learned from all his past issues so the bet was steak or a heart healthy dinner on Saturday night. Well I won and I get to eat steak. :D

On another note when I run the NW Scale Championship race in October I would prefer you did not bother the racers this year so I am asking that you watch the race with the rest of the spectators from the viewing area and do not enter the pits... Thank you in advance for following my request.
I'll do you one better Marty, I just won't bother to attend. Thank you for informing me that AS A DUES PAYING NAMBA MEMBER, I'm restricted from a NAMBA event. Is there anyone else you would like to restrict or ban from YOUR event?

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that pic without the wing was because the boat got damaged and they took the wing off during that race weekend. I was considering doing the Oly a few years ago because I heard she ran without the wing but once I learned it was due to damage and not a planned race configuration I decided against it.
Don - When I built my Gas Scale version of the Oly Beer Boat I checked into the history of the boat because as a general rule we do not allow replicas of broken boats to be registered in any of the NAMBA District eight family of Scale Racing clubs, PNWTA- UNW - RCU- ERCU and Electric Scale Unlimiteds. What I found out from the local Hydroplane and Race-Boat Museum historian is that the boat was purposely run with out the wing at the Dayton race due to the short course. I also confirmed that with the owner of the 1/8 scale version that runs without the wing in the UNW club and he told me that he spoke with Billy directly about the wing issue and he confirmed it was by choice. So as far as I'm concerned we have done the research on the wing question and as the current NAMBA scale chairman I rule that it can run with or with out the wing within NAMBA. If anyone has any proof that the information that I have is not correct please let me know
Hi Marty, thanks for the info, that'll be a cut, paste and save in case I reconsider doing the Oly down the road. Had I not already invested the $$ and bought the paint for the '78 Bud I'd seriously consider.the Oly now. :D

See I figured Marty would chime in on this sooner or later. This is a perfect example of how the research was done and why I suggested earlier in the thread to consult your District Scale Chair or National Scale Chair when building or better yet before you build. In most cases if they don't have the answer they can find it. Saves a lot of headache down the road. I remember stating in another thread that no one knows it all. But you should use your Scale Chairmen or Directors or whatever. Chances are they have resources and info most others don't. Funny thing is that most of the dozen or so issues I've had to research over the years most have involved a wing and I think one was rear shoes. But most have been regarding tailfeathers.

Marty I was planning on going to San Diego but as luck would have it we have a race that weekend. I am still struggling with that decision so don't be surprised if I do show after all. I want another shot at redeeming myself after leading at the start in the main at the Nats and flaming out.

HJ - Marty has a point in asking you to watch from the spectator section. I've been to his race and if I remember correctly the way the pits are set up at that race there are no hot pits like there are at most other events. The drivers are starting the boats from their actual pits. So in effect their pits are the hot pits. In the SAFETY section of he rule book it clearly states: "No persons other than those running a boat, those assisting with the running of a boat, or contest officials will be permitted in the pit area". " He is the Contest Director for the race so he has that right. Just because you are a dues paying NAMBA member you cannot just do as you please. In our district, unless you were entered in the race or pit person for another driver you would not be allowed to CD a heat or judge a heat either.

Last year I supplied Mike Schindler with a roof, table, chairs, fuel, parts and tools if needed, charger, 12 volt battery w/power panel, launched his boat and gave him a place to send his boat to. I launched for others as well when the need was there. This year I'm told I'm not welcome, how should I take it? Let me know if you're coming up Mike as it would be nice to meet up while you're here.

HJ as far as Marty's gas scale is concerned you would have to ask him. I do not know how the rules for gas scale are being interpreted.
Mike, I wasn't refering to the scale or gas scale class per se'. What I was talking about is since Marty is the Unlimited Chairman, he needs to be consistant in what he does. It wouldn't look good if he said that the 7207 and 7474 have to run a wing in the scale class but not in gas scale. At best some would be slightly upset, at worst he could be attacked for making rulings that looked like they were made to benefit him and his boat over the advancement of both the scale and gas scale classes.
Hydro Junkie- I wanted to thank you for letting me eat steak this Saturday for dinner instead of some heart healthy meal - please let me explain why.

When this thread first started I made a bet with my wife that you wouldn't be able to keep your uniformed opinions to yourself and she said no he must have learned from all his past issues so the bet was steak or a heart healthy dinner on Saturday night. Well I won and I get to eat steak. :D

On another note when I run the NW Scale Championship race in October I would prefer you did not bother the racers this year so I am asking that you watch the race with the rest of the spectators from the viewing area and do not enter the pits... Thank you in advance for following my request.
I'll do you one better Marty, I just won't bother to attend. Thank you for informing me that AS A DUES PAYING NAMBA MEMBER, I'm restricted from a NAMBA event. Is there anyone else you would like to restrict or ban from YOUR event?
Mark- You are not banned from attending the race we are just asking out to stay out of the pits. Please keep in mind that the NW Scale Hydroplane Championship race is not a sanctioned NAMBA race like the Nationals. We have racers from NAMBA - IMPBA- APBA come to this race from all over the country and the world for that matter and what we do is run it under NAMBA insurance. As far as this being my event it kinda is as I started the race many years ago as a place that the different clubs, NAMBA - IMPBA - APBA, could come together one time a year and race together. When you have a legal boat to enter in the race and you have demonstrated your ability to handle a scale boat you will be invited to particulate.

Last year I supplied Mike Schindler with a roof, table, chairs, fuel, parts and tools if needed, charger, 12 volt battery w/power panel, launched his boat and gave him a place to send his boat to. I launched for others as well when the need was there. This year I'm told I'm not welcome, how should I take it? Let me know if you're coming up Mike as it would be nice to meet up while you're here.
Mark- Allowing you to launch boats last year was a mistake on my part - We always want those launching boats to have hands on scale racing experience as things happen very fast when launching and retrieving heavy scale boats. Mark- I do appreciate your passion for the sport but being a keyboard racer and card carrying NAMBA member does not qualify you to to participate in the hands on part of running boats. Once again you are welcome at the race just not in the pits....

I will not be able to attend this year,But next year hope to bring my son and maybe a few others. As Ive said from the first time this is a bucket list race,finest guys and racing for the scale enthusiast could want. Al,Marty and all the guys are 1st class

The main problem I have with this entire debate is the fact stuff like this turns many boaters away from scale :unsure:

Find a picture, build and paint it as close a your abilities and facilities allow and go to the pond and have fun!!!!!

gh
This is a great job of summing it up!! Good Post!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mike, Chris and I want to go so we can fill in our bucket list. We talked about taking the train out due to freight. Maybe we all could RV out?

You can ship a scale boat for about $125.00 each way. Plane ride round trip is $350.00 If you drive its going to take several days. The drive from SeaTac starts at HARM couple hours looking at the old hydros. I have a relative in Edmonds this makes my trip perfect as im about 40 minutes from Marysville. To me this race is about meeting and seeing so many scale guys at once,my racing comes second. I think ive only won one heat in 3 trips. For me its a race I have to attend every couple years im sure others will chime in too many names to mention..............

Marty I was planning on going to San Diego but as luck would have it we have a race that weekend. I am still struggling with that decision so don't be surprised if I do show after all. I want another shot at redeeming myself after leading at the start in the main at the Nats and flaming out.
Are the RC's running this year? I'm flying down.....tough decision but I'm going to skip Bo's race.

Mark- Allowing you to launch boats last year was a mistake on my part - We always want those launching boats to have hands on scale racing experience as things happen very fast when launching and retrieving heavy scale boats. Mark- I do appreciate your passion for the sport but being a keyboard racer and card carrying NAMBA member does not qualify you to to participate in the hands on part of running boats. Once again you are welcome at the race just not in the pits....
Mark- I would like to help get you qualified to race in the scale class. As a first step please go to the UNW or RCU website and download the scale racing rule book and take the time to study it during the off season - At a race or test session next season a club member will administer the required verbal test and than I will let you drive one of my boats to take the drivers test. You have to start somewhere and I want to help you get on the water.

If I remember correctly, it only ran with the wing as the Oly. Both the 7207 and 7474 had a tacked on wing for a few years after the Pak proved the wing was beneficial to the boat's ride and performance, though they were later removed as they proved to be more of a hiderance than a help. So now watch someone prove me wrong ;)
Just to put closure to the question of the wing on the Oly Beer boat...

I spoke to Billy Schumacher at the San Diego Race and he confirmed that he chose to run the Oly boat at the Dayton race without the wing due to the short course.

Glad you posted that Marty. I asked him the same thing at the Folsom Lake run and he told me the same.

One of my customers/friends in District 9 is going to build one in electrics He is ordering the graphics from some one I built my hull and ordered one of RC Boat companys cowls.

I am trying to build District 9 FE Scale group. A few of the guys are not in to scale that much and will be running T Sports untill the bug gets them.

Hi Randy- If you need any of Oly Beer Boat Graphics Prism Graphics in Seattle has them - I paid them to clean up the Horseshoe logo that is on the cowl as most I had seen were kinda rough...

Marty

Back