Older Miss Circus Circus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavinP

I have just finished the 1979 ? Cathedral style spoiler Miss Circus Circus and was watching some boating DVd's and see there are several similiar boats of the same style.Just different color schemes.

Just wondering if anyone just happens to have a list or knows the names of the other boats built to much the same plans.

Someone in my neighhood would like to build the same boat just thought I might be able to show him the others.

I think one is the "Beef Jerky"

Two sources for the information you seek are Roger Newton's plans and the master hull registry.

The master hull registry lists each boat and the different sponsors it had during its lifetime. You will often see boats referenced by their mhr number. Roger's site has pictures of many of the boats. Once you find your boat in the MHR, use the PDF listing of plans at Roger's site to locate the plan number he uses. Then go to the plan section and click on the number to see pics of the boats. Note that on more than one occasion I've found two variations of the same hull show up under different plan numbers at Roger's site. Not sure why this is, but keep it in mind as you're looking...

Your '79 Circus Circus is hull 7931, plan #126. The "Beef Jerky" of which you speak is usually referred to by the company name, Oh Boy Oberto! They've had a bunch of boats over the years. Roger's plan #125 shows one of a similar vintage to your Circus Circus.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my knowledge there were two hulls built of the same plan.... the Circus...honeycombed aluminum, and the Squire shop,, wood.

Sister hulls. All of the others were just renamed from these two. Chip H drove the Squire and it cought on fire in Evansville one year. I took its picture on fire in 8th grade and it almost made the newspaper. Steve Reynolds drove the Circus and it was very fast. A contender at all of the races that year.

Brian

I will never forget the Madison Race that year. I was probably 13 or 14. Chenowith in the Bud, Muncey in the Blue Blaster, Hanauer in the Squire, Reynolds in the Circus and the list goes on. The race was awesome. Muncey took the final (this was the Gold Cup Race) when the Circus hicupped on the back stretch. Reynolds, who I believe was a rookie, was extremely fast all day long and had won every preliminary heat to my recollection. Probably the most exciting boat racing I had ever seen. I was also at Madison in 87 when he blew over in Cellular One on the back stretch, which I believe ended his driving career.

Rich

I do not remember Oberto sponsoring one of those hulls. I Think Gavin is looking at Fred Leland's 1982 Oberto. Gavin they are different hulls to the Circus. That circus that you built Gavin is my favorite circus they ran. Would love to see pictures.

MISS CIRCUS CIRCUS U-77 SPIRIT OF THE AIR FORCE

U-2 SQUIRE SHOP

U-30 DOMINO'S PIZZA Didn't have the Cathedral style wing.

U-30 MISS GREATER PENINSULA

U-30 SEACO AVIATION FUELS

You can find some nice pictures of some of those boats on this link.

<a href="http://cdenslow.smugmug.com/Unlimited%20Hy...lanes%20(Scans)" target="_blank">http://cdenslow.smugmug.com/Unlimited%20Hy...lanes%20(Scans)</a>
Glen, I think you forgot the Miss Crab Legs, one of my all time favorites. :huh:

I have pics if needed.
Would appreciate any pictures

Thanks

Gavin

Here are two of the Crab Legs, although they had gone to a standard wing by then.

Crab%20Legs.jpg

Crab Legs 2
Crab%20Lega.jpg

Latest posts

Back