Oh yea we need battery powered lawn equipment

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel's Racing

Vendor
A Milwaukee M18 Blower https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...2lIjoFGcvgUwmguw6i_aem_VMIMVoESImFy8ZPmUOdJmQ

It takes FOUR M18 12,0 batteries that cost $1000 for the set of 4 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ickid=QGOUSMQxBxyPWZlw-bWh9U4mUkC2uMXhUV1WQg0

Then ALL FOUR are fully depleted in 30 minutes.

Are you kidding ?

Then they don't want gas generators either.

Where is all that power going to come from to charge them. Blow for 3 hours and you will need 6 sets of 4 packs for $6000 on top of the $2500 the blower costs.

The rechargeable "generators(lol)" are the same way. They don't deliver jack if you are running anything substantial from one.

12ah for $250 and people feel like they are buying high quality trusty worthy stuff because its so expensive. Dont want to be like those morons who pay $30 for chinese lithium batteries....

Any decent electric lawn equipment will need to be high voltage 40 / 56 / 60 / 80v
I have a Ryobi 40v leaf blower that is 730 cfm and 190mph (Much more power/output than this Milwaukee mentioned)

I use a single 40v 4aH pack and never use more than 1/4 of the pack with my 1/3 acre lot.
I move that single pack over to my edger and trimmer and do the whole job with just the one battery.

The issue with this setup must be that it is a 18v setup and has to pull high amperage to get the wattage needed.

Volts * Amps = watts

18v * 100a = 1800 watts

40v * 40a = 1800 watts

Last edited:
I bought a Ryobi 21" 40V lawn mower a few months ago. Came with two batteries, is set up to run on one at a time and has slots for both with a switch to change from one to the other when the first gets discharged. Didn't think I'd like it, WRONG!!!! Being self-propelled, it's night and day better than the 20+ year old 21" Craftsman gas mower I have, that is unless I run down the batteries. Unlike the gasser, I can't refuel it in a minute or two if both batteries get run down. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...0-Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-RY401140/314600837

Any decent electric lawn equipment will need to be high voltage 40 / 56 / 60 / 80v
I have a Ryobi 40v leaf blower that is 730 cfm and 190mph (Much more power/output than this Milwaukee mentioned)

I use a single 40v 4aH pack and never use more than 1/4 of the pack with my 1/3 acre lot.
I move that single pack over to my edger and trimmer and do the whole job with just the one battery.

The issue with this setup must be that it is a 18v setup and has to pull high amperage to get the wattage needed.

Volts * Amps = watts

18v * 100a = 1800 watts

40v * 40a = 1800 watts

I was thinking of someone trying to use one for work as a landscaper not private individual use.

It is the commercial uses they are restricting to electric only all over now.

You can be certain it is running the 4 packs it uses in series. That would be 72 volt with 12 AH

It needs all 4 to run so that tells you they are in series. 4 X 18 = 72 volt

72 volt and 12,000 mah is pretty serious power but gone in 30 minutes with only 15 minutes to next job.

The Ryobi says more than power of a 27cc the Milwaukee is more than power of 60cc according to manufactures.

Thinking ratings are not apples to apples.

Milwaukee gives it 30 minutes on high with 4 fresh packs.

Last edited:
I switched to Greenworks 40v lawnmower and supporting lawn equipment in 2018 and never looked back. The only issue I have had in the last 6 years was a single battery failure that I caused by attempting to recharge the battery while it was still warm, right after using it. My mistake caused a thermal shock that killed the battery. The equipment is well made and the edger/trimmer uses the universal attachment system that allows me to use almost any brand quick attachment. I love it. The mower needs no maintenance other than keeping it clean and an occasional blade sharpening. The mower can sit for months then pull it out, pop in a battery and go......same with the edger, leaf blower and chainsaw. No bad gas, no fouled spark plug, no oil change...... and no visit to the chiropractor after pulling on the starter cord for 20 minutes......and its quiet....er.

Best thing we made here in Australia,was the Victa 160cc 2 stroke mower,with decompressor valve,has more torque than Briggs&S,Kirby etc,rips through long grass.I bought mine new in 1992,and still going strong,only had to do a few easy repairs/maintenance,over the years.Just push the primer 5 times and she starts 1st pull.Uses about $10 gas/year..After seeing my neighbour struggle, cutting 3" long grass with an electric,and half the size of my yard,I'm not sold lol..I have 2 spare,hardly used engines and parts, I picked in my neighbourhood junk clearances ,for when my big end rollers pack it in one day lol,,Luckily there are still plenty parts available on fleabay as they discontinued 2 stroke production

I am not an Electric Vehicle fan for many reasons, but must admit that the Ryobi 40v stuff is the bomb ! They are not toys like the 18v selections.

Most of the tools come with a 4AH battery, but you can get a 6AH for 50.00 from Amazon.

My son is an MS patient and enjoys taking care of his yard. The equipment is quiet, starts at a touch, no fumes or maintenance other than replacing weed eater line or sharpening the mower blades.

The headlight on the lawn mowers are a nice touch to for when you want to mow early and beat the summer heat.

Regards,

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223

I was thinking of someone trying to use one for work as a landscaper not private individual use.

It is the commercial uses they are restricting to electric only all over now.

You can be certain it is running the 4 packs it uses in series. That would be 72 volt with 12 AH

It needs all 4 to run so that tells you they are in series. 4 X 18 = 72 volt

72 volt and 12,000 mah is pretty serious power but gone in 30 minutes with only 15 minutes to next job.

The Ryobi says more than power of a 27cc the Milwaukee is more than power of 60cc according to manufactures.

Thinking ratings are not apples to apples.

Milwaukee gives it 30 minutes on high with 4 fresh packs.

Hard to say. I went to Milwaukee's website and nothing mentions a voltage over 18v (for any of their product line)
They could be in parallel for higher capacity, but 48,000 mAh seems excessive to only get 30 mins of use. So you must be right about the voltage levels.

I will say if you are using the tools correctly you shouldn't have full power pegged the whole time. So it should last longer if used in a smart way. My leaf blower only needs about 30% throttle to do the job well.

Regarding the push to battery power. Just stay out of California where they want to restrict everything :)
I doubt Tennessee where I live will ever do that. I'll be sticking with my Gas Honda mower till it dies!

Last edited:
Looked into the Milwaukee turns out it can run off just two packs and the other two are just to extend run time. It is a 36 volt system.

Series parallel system when four in it.

I own about $10,000 worth of Milwaukee mostly cordless products and while most are pretty decent some of them not so great either.

I am sticking with mostly gas until they get too expensive to run I guess. Rarely ever have fuel or carb issues as none has ever seen ethanol and I run Klotz 1/2 ounce to the gallon in everything four stroke. 32:1 in the 2 stroke equipment.

Was thinking about one of those Milwaukee blowers but I think I am sticking to gas. When I realized it was $2500 for unit and 4 batteries you would need.

I once bought a 4 piece set of Craftsman 40 volt lithium Mower, hedge trimmer, weed eater and chainsaw I think it was. It was when it first came out their lithium 40 volt lineup.

There was no display and you had to order them.
When the order arrived my girl and I never laughed so hard at the toys we had just spent $600 on. Straight back and returned that crap without even trying it. It was for mega light duty use for maybe a 200 square foot yard or something but completely worthless products.

A Milwaukee M18 Blower https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...2lIjoFGcvgUwmguw6i_aem_VMIMVoESImFy8ZPmUOdJmQ

It takes FOUR M18 12,0 batteries that cost $1000 for the set of 4 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ickid=QGOUSMQxBxyPWZlw-bWh9U4mUkC2uMXhUV1WQg0

Then ALL FOUR are fully depleted in 30 minutes.

Are you kidding ?

Then they don't want gas generators either.

Where is all that power going to come from to charge them. Blow for 3 hours and you will need 6 sets of 4 packs for $6000 on top of the $2500 the blower costs.

The rechargeable "generators(lol)" are the same way. They don't deliver jack if you are running anything substantial from one.
Let me start with this: I was a landscape maintenance professional business owner for most of the 90's as a sideline. I still have mostly professional level equipment for my home yard, with the exception of ZTR mower which is a Gravely ZTX 42" 22Hp Kohler which is a high-end homeowner ZTR mower. About 2 years ago, I gave my Echo 24" gas powered shrub/hedge t o a buddy and replaced it with a Stihl battery powered rig which for home use is great. Also, have a Stihl battery powered hand held blower for quick jobs like blowing off patio or front porch, drying off equipment after pressure washing, etc.

Battery powered equipment has indeed come into it's own and has a place in my shop. Cordless drills, sanders, reciprocating saws, the hedge trimmer, hand held blower. I use them and like them all. However, there is a point where battery powered equipment is very limited and not even close to gas powered gear.

Let's start with the Milwaukee M18 backpack blower that is rated at 650CFM & 155MPH and the Home Depot web page claims that it has the performance of a 60cc gas rig. I don't have to run that thing to guarantee you there is no way in hell it would come close to a 60cc gas pro rig such as Echo or Stihl. I've owned several ~60cc Echo backpack blowers and currently have an Echo PB8010 which has a dry weight of 12lbs, 80cc two-stroke engine that cranks out 5-6 bhp and is rated at 1070cfm with a nozzle velocity of 211 mph. What they don't tell you in the specs, is that the air exiting the nozzle on a professional rig has 1.1 - 1.2 bar of pressure on it due to tube size as it relates to air volume and how it steps down. What this does is simple physics, serves to focus the air flow and put lots of power at the nozzle as the air expands once it leaves the nozzle. The Echo PB8010 will output full power all day long with minimal down time for refueling, it has a 100% duty cycle. When I shut down the landscape maintenance business I sold chainsaw, blower, mowers and kept weed eater. Went to a hand-held blower and that lasted about 6 months, before I bought a new Echo PB8010 backpack rig and gave the hand-held to a neighbor. A good backpack blower isn't just a cleanup tool to blow grass clippings, they make quick work of leaves in the fall, flowerbed cleanup, acorns and anything else.

A 60cc two-stroke powered professional backpack blower would destroy a Home Depot battery powered machine. And that's a fact. The last 60cc rig I owned was an Echo PB6000 which if memory serves me correctly ~750cfm @ 195 mph. That's not to say battery power isn't enough for some, so chill out guys. Just sayin, when they make a bunch of BS claims, it's just that BS. Battery gear is getting better and better all the time, which is why I ditched the gas powered hedge trimmer for battery power - the biggest reason, well there were two - no more exhaust smoke in the face and the battery rig is much lighter and has plenty of capacity for my home yard.

Just think,,, in a few more years they will have the voltage up to 110 volts, and you can just plug it into an extension cord!!!

What a concept! 🤣

You will find very little in the way of electrical lawn equipment around the homestead here,,
A Ryobi weedwacker and a blower the GF uses for light cleanup around her flowerbeds and the front walkway…
When the real work gets done around the property, I bust out the zero turn mower, and the sthil gas powered tools… weedwacker, blower, chainsaw, polesaw.. all run on ethanol free gas and klotz..

Got no time for or love lost on electric yard equipment..

Just think,,, in a few more years they will have the voltage up to 110 volts, and you can just plug it into an extension cord!!!

What a concept! 🤣

You will find very little in the way of electrical lawn equipment around the homestead here,,
A Ryobi weedwacker and a blower the GF uses for light cleanup around her flowerbeds and the front walkway…
When the real work gets done around the property, I bust out the zero turn mower, and the sthil gas powered tools… weedwacker, blower, chainsaw, polesaw.. all run on ethanol free gas and klotz..

Got no time for or love lost on electric yard equipment..
Klotz in yard care equipment? Same here, I run Klotz/Castor blended 50/50. Cocktailed that blend after a magazine article that dyno tested oils way back in the day. Runs almost as clean as pure synthetic and the film strength of the bean oil.

Like you I have a few pieces of battery gear, but most of it is still junk when compared to gas powered pro stuff which I got spoiled with back in the 90's.

Klotz in yard care equipment? Same here, I run Klotz/Castor blended 50/50. Cocktailed that blend after a magazine article that dyno tested oils way back in the day. Runs almost as clean as pure synthetic and the film strength of the bean oil.

Like you I have a few pieces of battery gear, but most of it is still junk when compared to gas powered pro stuff which I got spoiled with back in the 90's.
Yup, and the ethanol free gas… yes, it’s 6 bucks a gallon, but after all the trouble I’ve had with power equipment that sits for a while, I’ve found it is better to pay a little more for gas than have to replace and rebuild fuel systems constantly… I run it in the zero turn and my four wheeler as well…

In fact I just installed a new conversion kit on my generator to make it dual fuel… it now runs on gas or propane..

30 gallons of ethanol free gas stored in VP fuel jugs to carry us through the hurricane season..
after October it will get burnt in cars or the four wheeler..

Yup, and the ethanol free gas… yes, it’s 6 bucks a gallon, but after all the trouble I’ve had with power equipment that sits for a while, I’ve found it is better to pay a little more for gas than have to replace and rebuild fuel systems constantly… I run it in the zero turn and my four wheeler as well…

In fact I just installed a new conversion kit on my generator to make it dual fuel… it now runs on gas or propane..

30 gallons of ethanol free gas stored in VP fuel jugs to carry us through the hurricane season..
after October it will get burnt in cars or the four wheeler..
And good fuel stabilizer. I keep 30 gallons in 6 gallon VP jugs and a 21 gallon fuel cart that's used for everything - yard equipment and backup generators. It gets rotated fast enough to stay fresh with stabilizer it. As well, carburetor problems are pretty much a thing of the past. Started using fuel stabilizer 10+ years and and since then only 1 carb replacement.

Latest posts

Back