Oh Boy Oberto

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Supporting Member
Scale racers,

Im starting this thread in hopes to accrue and share information on this boat. Lets make this the official thread for the boat so we did a search we can more easily find the info we need.

I have a Phil Thomas hull and am getting close to paint. I did find the paint codes here at I waters and some setup info too. good stuff.

Just as an FYI. My hull is 7 years old and never been touched. Its going to be powered by a CMB green head with big belly pipe. I have made light changes to the bottom of the sponsons and am looking forward to racing the boat this summer.

Things I still need to buy or make

Decals (who has a set or can make them)

Dummy Exhaust stacks (who?)

Paint.. I have the primer

Im not expecting this thread to stay on the top page for long so if you are looking for info on this boat you might have to do a search to relocate it.

O yea.. one more question..

On the aft section of the cowl there appears to be two.. say..8” holes the top of it (my pic is starboard side). Does anybody know if there are a mirror set of holes on the other side of the boat?

Thanks in advance

Mike Z

hey mike, happy new year! as for the 82-u/55, i have newtons blue print in front of me.

there are no mirrors shown.

8 holes on rear of cowl 1/4" 5/16" 3/16" 1/8"

if you want to use my blue print you can, i can send it to you. has all decals needed and paint scheme. just e-mail me at [email protected] or call 419-692-1136 and we can set it up.

as for driver and stacks, these are excellant from.....

larry kraemer

26926 se 407th st

enuminclaw,wa. 98022-8513

(360)-825-5878

[email protected]

driver/dash,wheel,stacks,intake

Guys.. thanks for all the info..

Dan.. I have the same plans you have. The plans do not show the holes Im thinking of..

Here is the pic of the boat

1982 Oberto

If this works do you see the two holes im talking about. Question is.. does the other side of the boat have the same set of holes.

Happy new year guys.. and thanks for the offer on the plans Dan..

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i see them. that is probably "design changes" as in later than the drawing. probably air.heat reliefs. after a closer look, it appears they are in the white also, like 3 rows of 4. left rear of deck by the "u" #, 5 slot deck vent, also has more decals than the drawing as they were added race by race. what i did to blue the windshield was scotch brighted both sides, put some blue mixing color in the clear and and sprayed it. if you have the 2007 internats video from me-time, my boat is on the back cover, the 1984 oh boy!oberto u-40, one of phils hulls. i have some driver area cowl mods that you might be interested in. let me know, i can send pictures to you.

dan

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i see them. that is probably "design changes" as in later than the drawing. probably air.heat reliefs. after a closer look, it appears they are in the white also, like 3 rows of 4. left rear of deck by the "u" #, 5 slot deck vent, also has more decals than the drawing as they were added race by race. what i did to blue the windshield was scotch brighted both sides, put some blue mixing color in the clear and and sprayed it. if you have the 2007 internats video from me-time, my boat is on the back cover, the 1984 oh boy!oberto u-40, one of phils hulls. i have some driver area cowl mods that you might be interested in. let me know, i can send pictures to you.dan
Spray and shine it. Hope you bring the pair to the May race.............. The 82u55 i ran had the fuel tank under the left sponson to help keep it planted. Id use the Hughes fin also and it will turn on a dime. Shiny Top

Dan.. pics would be great. i remember your boat at the race.. mostly white 84 boat.

if you have a few pics send them to [email protected]... thanks

Mikey.. the boat has lots of trick setup stuff in it.. front fuel and radio box.. True! The cockpit floor is lowerd and its going to have a full driver figure in it. The pipe exhaust runs out the trasom as well.

Should be fun

Mike

[snip]
O yea.. one more question..

On the aft section of the cowl there appears to be two.. say..8” holes the top of it (my pic is starboard side). Does anybody know if there are a mirror set of holes on the other side of the boat?

Thanks in advance

Mike Z
Hi Mike,

The two holes on the cowl located aft starboard were NOT mirrored on the other (port) side of the cowl. These two holes were access holes for the nitrous bottles.

You will also notice 8 additional holes located farther aft on the top of the cowl. 4 mirrored holes starboard and port on the top white section of the cowl, running along the last red stripe. These holes get progressively smaller the further aft they are located, such as Dan Kramer suggests in his post (8 holes on rear of cowl 1/4" 5/16" 3/16" 1/8").

These were for ventilation.

Have a great time with your 8255 hull! They are fantastic.

-Jeff

Great info guys.. thanks a bunch.. that last pic is a tell all thats for sure...

Cripes.. now I have to re-do my molds to my deck vents.

o well.. all in good fun..

Now we are cookin

Mike

Hey Grim, you better get a long spool of string for that kite! If you want some help on the setup on that boat PM me. I ran one last year 84 Oberto and have allot information for you if you want it.

Don

Don,

Thanks and I will. I did change the sponson bottoms to get rid of the boat being a tail dragger. The AOA that the hull runs at in its stock forum was not going to cut it for my driving style.

I increased the sponson AOA from the stock 2.8 to 4.1 I also added .400 to the ride height of the hull.. I know the belly pan can slap with the stock setup in rough water.

I will keep ya all posted.

Mike

Mike Hey buddy.

I am interested in your logic of increasing the AOA to get the tail up?? Can you tell me how that helps. Also i have seen that boat kite a lot, seems the increased AOA would make that worse.

???

Happy new year.

Brian

Mike Hey buddy.I am interested in your logic of increasing the AOA to get the tail up?? Can you tell me how that helps. Also i have seen that boat kite a lot, seems the increased AOA would make that worse.

???

Happy new year.

Brian
Brian, The Logic is, The more the A.O.A the deeper the strut need to be. Which moves the transon higher off the water.

Which in this case. The boat for today's engine has to much air going under under it and not enough going over it.

If you want to Help Keep the boat on the water cut the Non trips out of her all the way back and to the bottom. This will help alot to get her STAY on the water. Then the rast of your logic will be a big help as well If you cut the non trips OUT But putting more angle in puts more air under here which will make it worse ! Doug

Last edited:
Doug:

Could you explain in layman's terms what you mean by cutting out the non-trips? Are you talking about the non-trip chines running from the sponson transoms back to the rear transom? And by cutting out, do you mean cutting out the entire part, and replacing w/ something w/ less to no angle? I'm having trouble picturing what you're talking about. Thanks in advance!

Rich

Brain,

Really what im trying to avoid is the boat "releasing" from the water when you least expect it.

I would rather drive the boat with the throttle then having to over power the boat due to its low sponson AOA.

All in all Doug is right. If you have a very low (to me 2.8 is way to low) sponson AOA you have to over come the lack of angle through center section AOA. Yout boat s running wet.. and when you least expect it.. DE-WETTING.. the one two knock out punch to losing a heat in RC boating.

Some have an idea of what the ideal sponson AOA is, and to me it has allot to do with engine power, your driving style, how much air the boat traps and RTR weight.

Take care man, Happy new year

Mike

Here are the PPD Concept paint codes I have.

Red - PPG Concept DCC70184

Green - PPG Concept DCC44375

Base White

Just got my CD of the 82 OBerto pictures and I'll get it copied and on its way to you this week end.

Jeff Snell did the vinal graphics for my 8255 OBerto.

Latest posts

Back