Need input on Muck Hull and ’97 Miss DeWalt (Madison)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longballlumber

Hey Guys, I could use a little help on hull identification from some of you scale experts. I have already gotten some help and direction from a few, but I am not 100% yet the “curtains match the drapes” if you know what I mean.

I am told this is a Steve Muck hull. After a quick email to Joe Wiebelhaus he suggested this is the ’97 Miss DeWalt (Madison) boat/scheme. What was explained to me is the canopy area changed between ’96 to the ’97 hull.

As far as this model, there is only one area I am concerned about and that is the nose cone area just in front of the canopy. On the full size hull the canopy looks a little more “pointy” and more of a flatter “wedge” shape rather than a conical cone shape that you can see on the model.

I guess what I am looking for is a more definitive answer/validation the hull is indeed supposed to be the ’97 Miss DeWalt (Madison) and the nose cowling is correct. IF not, I want to understand what hull/paint schemes are correct for this hull/cowling configuration.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Ball

I have posted pics of the model in question below

20131017_173413_resized.jpg

20131017_173437_resized_1.jpg

20140325_211453_resized.jpg

20140325_211519_resized.jpg

Wasn't the canopy area that was changed as much as the nose. The bulnose was moved forward by about two feet as was the canard. The front of the cockpit area was reworked during these changes so the shape is slightly different than it was prior to the rework

Mike,

Check with Doug Shepherd here on I/W. He worked on the Madison boat in that time frame. I know he changed the ram wings and cockpit area on the boat. I just don't know the time frame and what hull it was. I went down to the shop one weekend and help lay-up and vacuum bagged cowls halves.

Bert Dygert

Hey Mike,

Here are some pics of the yellow Madison that may show the nose of the cowl to canard wing a bit better. Hope these help. It appears that the forward cowl of the model is too high on the canard wing compared to the original. A lot of work to correct that on the model in it's present configuration.

There was a big stink some years ago from DeWalt about using their registered trade mark on model. I don't believe I have seen a Scale DeWalt hull since. I deleted every Dewalt pic I had shortly thereafter. Guess they don't need our business or want us to model one of their sponsored hydroplanes. So be it .

CHEERS !!! Bob

Mike,

Here are some as Tony the Tiger before they went to the larger canard wing.

Looking at the Master Hull Roster - this hull underwent a lot of changes during it's service life. CHEERS !!! Bob

Bert and Bob, thanks for the suggestions and pictures...

Anyone know what Muck molds this hull cam out of and was it really intended to be the "Dolphin Nose" hull?

Bob, you kinda hit the nail on the head. I really don't want to get caught up in a situation where buying a used hull is going take more time/effort to get correct than buying a new one where I know the hull is correct.

decisions, decisions....

Thanks,

Guys

Hey Mike,

None of the production hulls are going to be perfect for every model built. In most cases these hulls are close enough and within a tolerance to allow them to compete under IMPBA and NAMBA rules.

The hulls that are the most accurate are generally the "Purpose built hulls of a specific MHR year, and many times of a particular year and race." These jewels are often too pretty to heat race, and end up racing to achieve the minimum number of points to make them legal for the Concours Award.

Scale boat builders cover a wide span from those builders of absolutely beautiful hulls to the well worn, but still presentable enough to race in the 1/8th Scale events. I'm more of a middle of the road type, and I love to race hard.

John Borden has all the Steve Muck molds and calls them Lone Star Model Boats. I have a preliminary work sheet that John emailed me some years ago. There is no designation for his particular hull, but the MHR 8806 Bud cowl is listed along with Pico,901, 9299, 9698, and 9701.

One of the casualties of the DeWalt fiasco was Steve Gualtieri, owner of R C Boat Company. He had one of his hulls in that livery. As I recall, he repainted the hull so as not to put up with their nonsense any longer. My response was to throw away anything that had that logo on it and replace with another manufacturer's product. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Mike,

None of the production hulls are going to be perfect for every model built. In most cases these hulls are close enough and within a tolerance to allow them to compete under IMPBA and NAMBA rules.

The hulls that are the most accurate are generally the "Purpose built hulls of a specific MHR year, and many times of a particular year and race." These jewels are often too pretty to heat race, and end up racing to achieve the minimum number of points to make them legal for the Concours Award.

Scale boat builders cover a wide span from those builders of absolutely beautiful hulls to the well worn, but still presentable enough to race in the 1/8th Scale events. I'm more of a middle of the road type, and I love to race hard.

John Borden has all the Steve Muck molds and calls them Lone Star Model Boats. I have a preliminary work sheet that John emailed me some years ago. There is no designation for his particular hull, but the MHR 8806 Bud cowl is listed along with Pico,901, 9299, 9698, and 9701.

One of the casualties of the DeWalt fiasco was Steve Gualtieri, owner of R C Boat Company. He had one of his hulls in that livery. As I recall, he repainted the hull so as not to put up with their nonsense any longer. My response was to throw away anything that had that logo on it and replace with another manufacturer's product. CHEERS !!! Bob
Think Mike and Wesley had to stop making the decals also.
default_ph34r.png

To answer the wing question... That was the year Mike Hanson moved the sparbar forward to help hold the front of the boat down. He added about a foot to the nose of the cockpit to give it the pointy look you see. The front end of that add on is for sell in a local shop in downtown Madison. That boat under went many a face lift threw it's life. Wait it's still racing today as the U-22 so if you really want to get confused look at it's configuration now.

Mike,

There are some cowls at the RC Boat Company that you may be able to get a more accurate cowl nose. You could then graft and splice as necessary to get the look of the hull closer to the real boat.

Website is : rcboatcompany.com/Cowlings.html

Bert Dygert

Hey Mike,

Think Mike and Wesley had to stop making the decals also.
default_ph34r.png
Yeah Ron Green got that ball rolling when we did a F/E Sport Hydro Many years back- they freaked and even demanded he remove it from the boat or pay them- yeah right
default_dry.png

Cant remember who ended up with that boat, I believe I sold it here or flea bay for him, might have been Kevin S ,

Andy

Mike,

There are some cowls at the RC Boat Company that you may be able to get a more accurate cowl nose. You could then graft and splice as necessary to get the look of the hull closer to the real boat.

Website is : rcboatcompany.com/Cowlings.html

Bert Dygert
Funny, the same day you posted this Bert I had already been on there looking at my options... I guess great minds think alike!
default_biggrin.png

I decided not to buy the hull at this time. I was looking for a "quick fix" to have something to race our NAMBA FE nationals event this year. Really, I wanted to give Terry someone to race against since he has one of those nice two wing scales.
default_laugh.png
Look forward to see you and the rest of the group this spring.

Later,

Ball

Back