My new electric motor for my boat.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bullard

Thought I would show you all a motor that we just wound. Don't know how I could get it in a boat. Plus don't know if I could get enough batteries for it as it is a 4000 volt motor. This motor is just 400 HP, 2 Pole @ 4160 Volts AC.

Attachments

• 400hp.jpg
    400hp.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 2
WoW! 4000 volts AC and only 2 pole armature!?!? Makes me think of the motors they used to move the lid and tilt the big buckets of an arc melt furnaces at GM. Not sure why... Something to watch! Three Long carbon rods about 7-8" diameter and I think about 6' long. Dropped down through three holes in the lid of the furnace. Cables hooked to the top end. When they first turn the power on, you could watch those cables dance around!! Hear the arcing and snaping of the electricity jumping between the rods and the metal to be melted! If you ever get a chance to see an arc furnace in operation, do so... You'll be impressed!!!

Ken

WoW! 4000 volts AC and only 2 pole armature!?!? Makes me think of the motors they used to move the lid and tilt the big buckets of an arc melt furnaces at GM. Not sure why... Something to watch! Three Long carbon rods about 7-8" diameter and I think about 6' long. Dropped down through three holes in the lid of the furnace. Cables hooked to the top end. When they first turn the power on, you could watch those cables dance around!! Hear the arcing and snaping of the electricity jumping between the rods and the metal to be melted! If you ever get a chance to see an arc furnace in operation, do so... You'll be impressed!!!

Ken
Yes I have seen an arc furnace. It is impressive.

Smells like MONEY!!!!
Yes it does. The coils alone were about $12,000. Each coil weighted about 20lbs which of course is copper and there were 48 of them.

Solid copper formed coils? and how many layers of insulation do you have for a 4kV voltage?
Yes, it is two wires of about 3/16" x 3/32" film covered wire formed into a long loop. And I think it was about 12 turns. It is then form into the shape of the coil needed. It is then wrapped with mica insulation tape and then with raw class tape. Of course, there are fillers under the tape in the area where the coil goes into the slot of the stator. This is to make sure the coils fit into the slot without loosest. Mica insulation of about 0.040" thick is good for over 20,000 volts. Mica is a mined from the earth.

Mark, weren’t some of small windows in old potbelly stoves made with Mica lenses?
Seems to me I had read that at one time. It takes a lot of heat to damage it. About the only way is to stick a torch to it and it will melt at about 1300 degrees.

Latest posts

Back