motor mounts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Hey, i need some ideas from all the innovative scale guys out there... about 20+ years ago i built a dumas 1/8th scale atlas van lines,but never completely finished it....after talking with drew 2 (i blame you for sparking my interest back into finishing this **** boat ,Andy!! ha ha) im gonna try to finish it...here is one problem i have....back in those days there were a lot of scale boats that had the engines hard mounted, so thats how i built mine...there is no way i can change this set up to use lord mounts so i was wondering if anyone ever tried using delrin mounts with any success, or sandwiching viton or some similar material between the aluminum mount and the wood rail? im sure that neither of these possibilities would work as well as a conventional isolated mount set up, but i figured anything would help to reduce vibration....im open to any and all ideas and suggestions.....i know that running a hard mount isnt the end of the world...we did it for years....thanks, Bill

How about having the bolts go through the bottom of the hull and putting the rubber isolators between the boat and the engine rails?

How about having the bolts go through the bottom of the hull and putting the rubber isolators between the boat and the engine rails?
If your good drill the holes to countersink the lord rubbers and bolt thru the bottom

Bill;

some of the fastest scales in Florida have there engines hard mounted.

The fastest of these scale owners/drivers swears by this method, he says the rubber mounts are H.P. robbers.

The boat I used last year year to finish second in the points, hard mounted

The 3rd place boat in the points, hard mounted!

Do we have a common theme here?

I would not suggest doing this in a fiberglass hull though!

Rick

Bill;some of the fastest scales in Florida have there engines hard mounted.

The fastest of these scale owners/drivers swears by this method, he says the rubber mounts are H.P. robbers.

Rick
Hard motor mounts typically create absurd amounts of resonant hull noise. No offense but your "common theme" is most likely nothing more than chance coincidence and more a tribute to WHO is driving the boat rather than the motor mount. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the hard mounts out of your boat and use rubber mounted engine mounts with the rubber vertical. It's much stiffer that way but still reduces the noise from vibration in the boat. With noise levels being looked at so heavily in many areas, anything that reduces noise is a benefit

Bill, There's a pic of a homemade rubber mount for a dumas atlas in my gallery-built 20 years ago. originally used alum. doublers on inside and outside of hull to prevent crushing the soft mahogany,recently replaced with some carbon fibre washers 1 inch O.D.x.25 I.D. Rubbers are about 1 inch dia.x about 1 inch long with a 1/4-20 male thread on top and a 1/4-20 female thread on the bottom. The guy's on this forum can give you some good advice on the sponson bottoms too. Glenn

Rick
Rick, I remember going to the winternats a few years ago and talking to a few of the scale guys who had hard mounted set ups in thier boats...how completely adament they were about using that set up for exactly that reason!! maybe i need to rethink this........Thanks, Bill

Hello Bill

Over here in Australia , there are several 1 / 8 Scale boats including my Executone that used a Octura motor insert with a strip of aluminium ~ 5/8 x 1/4 x 7 inches long bolted to each outer pair of holes with a Lord mount standing vertically as other members have suggested . It is a fairly simple and durable way of mounting a motor into a Scale boat . In my boat there is plywood reinforcing in the area that the mount is located to allow the countersunk screws to be flush with the bottom of the boat . Hope this helps with your rebuild .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Rick
Rick, I remember going to the winternats a few years ago and talking to a few of the scale guys who had hard mounted set ups in thier boats...how completely adament they were about using that set up for exactly that reason!! maybe i need to rethink this........Thanks, Bill

I find it kind of odd that some people say hard mounting an engine is required to win in the scale class. David Newton has won two years straight in San Diego and won in Florida with rubber engine mounts. On the same thought, the boat that has won over 80% of the races in R/C Unlimiteds over the last four years or so has rubber engine mounts. Not trying to cause an argument or call anyone a liar, but I don't think using rubber costs as much as the guys in Florida try to make it sound.

Hello Bill Over here in Australia , there are several 1 / 8 Scale boats including my Executone that used a Octura motor insert with a strip of aluminium ~ 5/8 x 1/4 x 7 inches long bolted to each outer pair of holes with a Lord mount standing vertically as other members have suggested . It is a fairly simple and durable way of mounting a motor into a Scale boat . In my boat there is plywood reinforcing in the area that the mount is located to allow the countersunk screws to be flush with the bottom of the boat . Hope this helps with your rebuild .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Ian, would it be possible to get a picture of that set up? I can send you my personal e-mail address.....im willing to change over to rubber mounts if i dont have to tear up the boat to do it!!! either way, many thanks, Bill

Rick

I find it kind of odd that some people say hard mounting an engine is required to win in the scale class. David Newton has won two years straight in San Diego and won in Florida with rubber engine mounts. On the same thought, the boat that has won over 80% of the races in R/C Unlimiteds over the last four years or so has rubber engine mounts. Not trying to cause an argument or call anyone a liar, but I don't think using rubber costs as much as the guys in Florida try to make it sound.

I dont think that rick was saying that at all......he merely said that hard mounting an engine in a wood boat was acceptable........i know that its rare anymore ..im just gettin lazy in my old age and was lookin for an easy way out!! Thanks, Bill

Hydro Junkie;

Were in my post did I say "hard mounting an engine is required to win in the scale class." ??

Uh, no where!

"David Newton has won two years straight in San Diego and won in Florida with rubber engine mounts. On the same thought, the boat that has won over 80% of the races in R/C Unlimiteds over the last four years or so has rubber engine mounts"

Let me guess, a fiberglass hull? I do believe I said

"I would not suggest doing this in a fiberglass hull though!"

David Newton won in Florida with rubber engine mounts.

I'd say David had a great weekend, Jack & Perry did not, I decided to take that race off, so who knows??

I do believe Bill was asking for an OPINION, and I gave him mine, what is working for me.

I feel, rather than re-engineer the mounts in his boat I'd leave it hard mounted. Just the way I would do it.

Don;

"Hard motor mounts typically create absurd amounts of resonant hull noise."

You are correct, but it's kinda like the sound of a twin. They both sound sweet to my ears.

Oh, and by the way, who is Hydro Junkie?

Rick

Hey Rick, just a question. How dose hard mounting a engine give you more HP? Please do not get upset I just really want to learn the difference.

Don McKay

district 14 IMPBA

Hello Bill .

Yes , send me your e = mail address and with some help from 1 of my mates over here we will attach some pictures to the return message . My Executone is a 82 / 83 version that was started many years ago by someone who has since passed on and didn't get to finish it . I believe it is possible to get private messages sent through on International Waters , however I'm still finding my way around it .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Hey, i need some ideas from all the innovative scale guys out there... about 20+ years ago i built a dumas 1/8th scale atlas van lines,but never completely finished it....after talking with drew 2 (i blame you for sparking my interest back into finishing this **** boat ,Andy!! ha ha) im gonna try to finish it...here is one problem i have....back in those days there were a lot of scale boats that had the engines hard mounted, so thats how i built mine...there is no way i can change this set up to use lord mounts so i was wondering if anyone ever tried using delrin mounts with any success, or sandwiching viton or some similar material between the aluminum mount and the wood rail? im sure that neither of these possibilities would work as well as a conventional isolated mount set up, but i figured anything would help to reduce vibration....im open to any and all ideas and suggestions.....i know that running a hard mount isnt the end of the world...we did it for years....thanks, Bill
Hi Bill,

If you have a mount that you want made to match a solid mount you may sent it to me. I will make it from Delrin and rubber isolators to match what you have. I have done this many times and the current mounts that I make for myself was a direct replacements for the old Octure solid 5" mounts. But it has been a long time since I have see a Octure mount. I make a lot of Delrin mount and have been running them for about 10 years.

Mark

Hi Bill,

If you have a mount that you want made to match a solid mount you may sent it to me. I will make it from Delrin and rubber isolators to match what you have. I have done this many times and the current mounts that I make for myself was a direct replacements for the old Octure solid 5" mounts. But it has been a long time since I have see a Octure mount. I make a lot of Delrin mount and have been running them for about 10 years.

Mark
Hi Mark, Man i really appreciate that ......i have a machine shop where i work and i use delrin stock quite a bit......love working with the stuff....where im getting confused is how the rubber mounts mate up with the solid portion of the mount....also i believe the center section of the boat is only 4 inches..its a dumas kit....if there is any way to make a rubber mount set up in this boat without grinding out the hardwood rails this would be a really great thing...Thanks a bunch!! Bill

Hi Bill,

Mark
Hi Mark, Man i really appreciate that ......i have a machine shop where i work and i use delrin stock quite a bit......love working with the stuff....where im getting confused is how the rubber mounts mate up with the solid portion of the mount....also i believe the center section of the boat is only 4 inches..its a dumas kit....if there is any way to make a rubber mount set up in this boat without grinding out the hardwood rails this would be a really great thing...Thanks a bunch!! Bill
So what you are saying is the mount is a U shape mount on hardwood angled blocks. That means the motor mount is about 1/4" thick I am thinking? What is the distance from the hardwood block to the side of the motor?

Every Dumas hydro I've built per the instructions had the engine mount blocks epoxied to the hull bottom, engine bay sides and the cross frames both forward and aft of the compartment. They used hex bolts countersunk and epoxied into the bottom of the mounting blocks with nuts holding a notched aluminum plate to the blocks. A very rigid but heavy arrangement that doesn't work well with the rear carbed racing engines

Hi Bill,

Mark
So what you are saying is the mount is a U shape mount on hardwood angled blocks. That means the motor mount is about 1/4" thick I am thinking? What is the distance from the hardwood block to the side of the motor?
Mark.. that is correct...I will get you some dimensions asap....do you want me to pm you? thanks, Bill

Latest posts

Back