Machining Question: Slots?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

I was wondering if someone here, and I know there are a LOT of good machinists here, could provide some information for me.

I would like to make a different style of collet for my small, wire-drive applications. I was going to order some from MBP-RC out of Germany, but I understand that they aren't going to be shipping to the USA any longer. I guess I can try to tackle them myself, if that's the case.

I can manage everything on the machining, but I'm not clear on exactly what tool is used to cut the slots across the couplers?? Can you please take a look at the pictures and let me know what tool I need for my Mill to cut these slots??

A link to some tool options would be useful as well.

Thanks,

MBP5030.png.jpg

MBP5030_b2.png.jpg

Slitting saws, made to almost any small diameter, any material, any thickness, any tooth profile.

Go to MSC and look up slitting saws and collets.

You could also use the small Dremel cut off wheel and mandrel in your mill. Wouldn't be quite as precise as the slitting saw mentioned above but it would work in a pinch if worse came to worse

Mark, What you are suggesting could be dangerous. If it is the fiber discs you are talking about. To much heat and they could explode. The slitting saw blades and arbors that have a key in them to keep them from spinning would be a much better choice. Keep the RPM and feed rate LOW and use a lot of oil. MSC online should have what you need.

Thanks, Guys... I'll have to get the tools and see if I can make this happen.

Otherwise, I may see if I can get one of my German friends to accept the shipment from MBP-RC and then ship it on to me.

Thanks again... Time to order a few more accessories for the Mill...
default_smile.png

Why would it be dangerous Glenn? When I've had them fail, it's been due to twisting in the kerf or side pressure. If used properly, they will handle the task fine. I've actually had more issues using slitting saws than I've ever had with the cut off wheels

ebay is your friend.they have lots of them. jewlers saws. wd-40 on aluminum. used one yesterday,twice.

Back