Looking for some help!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ramos

I am very new to Rc boats! Been building planes for years. Just ordered a gas scale smoking joes framing kit from ml boatworks. And now the fun starts. I have no idea about rudders, props,struts, or engines any input would be great!!! Thanks

Paul,

I am just getting back into boating after a number of years. What I do remember is that the props are very dependent on the size of the motor, the weight and type of hull and altitude ( yes we are in Colorado and it makes a difference at 1 mile high). Your best bet is to go out to your local lake and find some people with a similar hull and take notes on what they are using. Props have lots of properties including diameter, pitch and lift. Since you will be running a hydro you will most likely be looking for props with higher lift.

Seek and take note !

David, I don't know one single person with Rc boats in the area!! Everyone is into planes up here, heck the nearest hobby shop is 100 miles away!!! Kind of stinks but looks like I'm relying on the forum for my first build, but mike at ml boatworks is awesome!!! And is very knowledgeable! Just trying to soak up as much as I can

I'd start by calling Speedmaster and tell them what you have. If you're looking at engines, the RCMK with the pipe over the flywheel or a standard with a wrap to center header on either an RCMK or Zenoah is where I would start. You can try asking this in a couple of other forums as well that are either gas boats or have a gas boat section. One thing I would "suggest" is that you don't buy an engine with a clutch

For the record, Kroggs, I'm not a gas boat "guru" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very new to Rc boats! Been building planes for years. Just ordered a gas scale smoking joes framing kit from ml boatworks. And now the fun starts. I have no idea about rudders, props,struts, or engines any input would be great!!! Thanks
Paul contact me through my website at www.PNWTA.org and I will share what we have learned over the last few years running the Gas Scale Hydro class in the Pacfic Northwest. If you register on the site you will also have access to the clubs Gas Scale fourm.

Marty

Sent from my I-Pad

Paul contact me through my website at www.PNWTA.org and I will share what we have learned over the last few years running the Gas Scale Hydro class in the Pacfic Northwest. If you register on the site you will also have access to the clubs Gas Scale fourm.

Marty

Sent from my I-Pad

Paul this a link to a video of my Budweiser Gas Scale Hydro

Hey Paul, Like Marty said. Go and Register on the PNWTA website. We will be glad to share are info with you and anybody else that is interested. Depending on how you build your hull you can use a Zen. But don,t use a wrap to center pipe. You can.t get them short enough. I use a 100* header to get the pipe to exit the transom. So far the modern hulls that have been built are using the RCMK Rear Exhaust engine. I prefer the Zen. But it is more difficult to get the clearances needed as well as enough air in the hull to keep things cool. Good luck on your build. John

http://www.rcunlimit...order_form.html

These are great videos that show and explain everything about scale boat construction......

They show a complete wood boat build from Newtons plans.....well worth the $$$$$

I have known Don Mock for 30 years and he is a stand up guy and a great builder....He was the crew chief

on the successful restoration effort of the Atlas Van Lines at the hydroplane museum in Seattle......

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul,

Have a look at 'Gas Scale Build' thread in the Scale and Sport 40 forum also to get you into the area. Marty and company pretty much have the lead on this class. It would benefit the developing class if we could all develop the class on the same page www.pnwta.org . CHEERS !!! Bob

Back