LiPo for receiver

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

OK lets try it on this form. Looking to use 7.4v 2cell LiPo for receiver in my nitro rigger. Need info on voltage reg and low voltage shut down.

Trying to save weight but need 1000amh or better. Also what is the charge time on this set up. Would like to charge batt with out untaping radio box. Dose any one make charge port that is waterproof.

OK lets try it on this form. Looking to use 7.4v 2cell LiPo for receiver in my nitro rigger. Need info on voltage reg and low voltage shut down.Trying to save weight but need 1000amh or better. Also what is the charge time on this set up. Would like to charge batt with out untaping radio box. Dose any one make charge port that is waterproof.

Ok, where do we start:

1. I use the ASSAN voltage regs, but others use the CC version too. You can also get voltage regs that have a low voltage audio alarm. See www.hobbycity.com

2. 2S 1000 packs are great (use em in an X-mono - no probs).

3. Charge time - typically lipo is charged at 1C (1 x capacity). So 1000 mAHr pack would be charged at 1A. From useful flat to charged about 40 mins. NEVER RUN THE PACKS FLAT - if you forget and leave them turned on overnight, they will be throwaways.

4. Charging in a sealed box is not a good idea. Because LiPo retain their charge much better than NiCd of NiMh, you can charge more than a month before an event and they would be still around 90% capacity. Take the packs out to charge. Plus use a balance charger... it monitors the 2 cell voltages and makes sure they don't exceed 4.2V cell.

Hope this helps?

Would like to charge batt with out untaping radio box.
Then I most strenuously recommend that you do NOT use a lipo pack. You can get one of the lithium-ion packs, 2600 mAh or a A123 @ 2,300 mAh and you can charge those in the box. But charging a lipo in the hull, plane, where ever is a tremendously bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill which of the ASSAN voltage regs do you use?

Jim

Then I most strenously recommend that you do NOT use a lipo pack. You can get one of the lithium-ion packs, 2600 mAh or a A123 @ 2,300 mAh and you can charge those in the box. But charging a lipo in the hull, plane, where ever is a tremendously bad idea.

Bill which of the ASSAN voltage regs do you use?
Jim

Then I most strenuously recommend that you do NOT use a lipo pack. You can get one of the lithium-ion packs, 2600 mAh or a A123 @ 2,300 mAh and you can charge those in the box. But charging a lipo in the hull, plane, where ever is a tremendously bad idea.
I am not sure if this is directed at me or not because I have not mentioned using ASSAN regulators. I run all 5-cell NiMH packs in my boats. In my helis and giant scale planes where I use lithium ion packs I use regulators made by Fromeco and by Smart Fly.

OK lets try it on this form. Looking to use 7.4v 2cell LiPo for receiver in my nitro rigger. Need info on voltage reg and low voltage shut down.Trying to save weight but need 1000amh or better. Also what is the charge time on this set up. Would like to charge batt with out untaping radio box. Dose any one make charge port that is waterproof.

I use CommonSenseRC 2S packs with Align regulators. Been running them about a year now with no problems.

I would not charge them in a taped up box (myself i wont charge any battery in a taped up box).. after all the videos ive seen of LiPo's blowing up, i charge mine in a ammo box and constantly check on them to make sure they arent "poofing up".

I use CommonSenseRC 2S packs with Align regulators. Been running them about a year now with no problems.

I would not charge them in a taped up box (myself i wont charge any battery in a taped up box).. after all the videos ive seen of LiPo's blowing up, i charge mine in a ammo box and constantly check on them to make sure they arent "poofing up".
Where would one find all these videos? (Mine is not posted and it was spectacular!) They don't really blow up they burn kinda like a flair. Spent cells won't burn at all.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3690260570423705609

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7999636960714830130

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBie8VVpY6g

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/lipo-bat...-fire/629010968

I used this amazing thing called "The Google". Entering the term "Lipo Fire Video" it returned 57,600 hits!!

I can tell those that have not personally witnessed one of these events that they are far more frightening and spectacular in person. But even the video should be enough to convince you that this is an event that would not be very fun to have happen inside your boat.

I had a 4S 5000 pack let go deep under water (about 20 foot down). It was not in a dry box, so the water prevented burning, however the vigorous eruption caused lots and lots of white smoke bubbles! Eventually recovered the boat (a timber hydro) and short of smelling to high heaven all was good (except the Batt and the ESC :( )

however the vigorous eruption caused lots and lots of white smoke bubbles!
Good example of the fact that you do NOT want to put water on this kind of fire. It will no do any good. The best you can do is use a good fire extinguisher or throw sand or dirt on it.

Back