JD's 20 Mono Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
After not racing 20 Mono for at least 10 or more years, I decided to put something together for 2015. I was considering building a wood hull and even purchased some material. However, I developed a severe case of the "lazies" and decided to recycle a glass vee hull I've had around the shop for some time. The boat was originally built as a possible Aqua Craft nitro 20 vee hull. This was done before Mike Z. took the position of head of R&D for AQ. The original prototype was 33" and I received a couple of them to test. However, it was decided to reduced the size to 27" and that became the hull for both the AQ Nitro 27 and Brushless 27 Vee.

It was a few years back that I chopped the deck off the glass prototype, lowered the free board, and created a 20 Outboard Vee. This boat still holds the NAMBA 2-lap record. I even tried selling the boat a few years ago on IW and got zero response. So, the other day I ran the boat through my table saw and removed 2 1/2" from the length. I ordered a motor mount from Gary Preusse today. With the gift certificate I won at the Indy Masters at Hobart provide by Zipp Kit's, I ordered a strut and rudder. I plan to run the boat with my NR 35 PLUS.

JD

Got 'er done. Well, at least ready to test once we get a break in the weather. Will repaint after testing.

Strut and rudder from Zipp and I made the ride plates.

A break in the rain provided an opportunity to test the boat. After a couple of adjustments to the ride plates, I'm very pleased with both the speed and cornering. The ride is the same as a Seaducer - which isn't a bad thing. A X-440/3 was the prop.

The Zipp Kits strut and rudder work fine. The boat will be painted before being run again.

JD

The boat has been repainted and when the wind and rain subside I plan to get in more testing. I still need to stick my NAMBA # on the side of the hull.

Merry Christmas,

JD

The boat has been repainted and when the wind and rain subside I plan to get in more testing. I still need to stick my NAMBA # on the side of the hull.

Merry Christmas,

JD

Meant to show transom view as well.

JD
You can't be too busy, shops too clean!!!!!!!!!! Boat looks good..........==={}
default_cool.png

Jerry,

It should be more competitive with a ABC 1614/3 chopper on the back.

I have more on order from ABC.

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund

Back