Is there a class?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Knowing absolutly nothing about fast electrics (still!)....Is there a NAMBA class that the UL-1 can race in without having to spend MEGABUCKS for it to be legal or competitive in? I have an interest in FE and even built a Campell shovel nose hydro, but am still so utterly confused about what reasonably priced ESC/motor/battery/charger would work for the boat, that i just gave up on it for the time being...not that people on rum runner racing werent trying to help me out...they really tried...but it just isnt sinkin in....too much nitro on the brain, i guess!! Thanks, Bill

Most of the clubs are running the Super Sport classes with the UL 1 motors. That is rigger, mono (LSO), Sport Hydro and OPC. It is real cool to run the 59 dollar motor. Save a buck and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a NAMBA class that the UL-1 can race in without having to spend MEGABUCKS for it to be legal or competitive in?
I believe NAMBA is allowing the UL-1 in LSH unofficially, it depends on each event, for example, at the Winter Warms Ups coming soon will allow it.

Is there a NAMBA class that the UL-1 can race in without having to spend MEGABUCKS for it to be legal or competitive in?
I believe NAMBA is allowing the UL-1 in LSH, but it depends on each event as it is not official yet, for example, at the Winter warms ups coming up they will allow it.
NAMBA is not really doing anything, what is happening is a few clubs are doing a spec class for LSH and LSO. The UL-1 would be classified as a P Sport Hydro under the rules as they exist right now.

But at several races the CDs are allowing the UL-1 ro run in LSH, but it is not an official thing. There is some talk of changing that however, but likely not in time for the NATS.

The real question is not what class it could run in but whether or not there are any races for you to attend. FE racing is sparse and hard to find outside of a couple of lucky enclaves of NAMBA land. The Pacific Northwest has a robust program and the upper midwest (Ohio/Michigan) as well. Florida and parts of Texas have some racers and also New Jersey does OK. Every place else it is tough.

Where are you located??

The UL-1 is legal as a P Sport Hydro and as a P Hydro in both NAMBA and IMPBA - that is all. In LSH class NAMBA does not allow BL motors. There is no LSH class in IMPBA - yet. These rules will likely change soon. Many clubs are running the UL-1 on LiPos as an alternate club class, but there is no sanction of the practice by NAMBA or IMPBA. There is no such thing as an 'LSSH' or 'Super Sport' class in either NAMBA nor IMPBA.

Actually it would be tough for the UL-1 hull to be truely competitive on a national level in P Sport Hydro or P Hydro no matter how much money you threw at it. The hull is designed for speeds in the 30s and 40s - running in the 50s and 60s with the larger P Sport hydros would be very tough. It may win by finishing consistantly though. To me the UL-1 will be the final straw to overhaul the NAMBA and IMPBA rules for LSH to allow certain BL motors (like they did for 700 motors) and LiPos. It is a great race boat when run against similar hulls/power levels.

Hi Jay

This last weekend we had the Grand Prix Classic. It is a nitro/electric race. The rules were real open and I tried not to abuse them and ran a old P sport Hydro in A Sport. I had a 30 inch War Eagle with a 1515 1.5D 4S2P 640, Willmer was running My New N2 Sport with a UL 1 motor in it and 4S1P With a 42x55 prop. It was a blast great racing. I have to race whare I can. We will have only three FE races this year. But with nitro there will be two more, Az, Nats and possably one in PNW. that and the SAWsI will be OK. BUt wioth this I want to do everything to promote FE Racing.

I believe NAMBA is allowing the UL-1 in LSH, but it depends on each event as it is not official yet, for example, at the Winter warms ups coming up they will allow it.
NAMBA is not really doing anything, what is happening is a few clubs are doing a spec class for LSH and LSO. The UL-1 would be classified as a P Sport Hydro under the rules as they exist right now.

But at several races the CDs are allowing the UL-1 ro run in LSH, but it is not an official thing. There is some talk of changing that however, but likely not in time for the NATS.

The real question is not what class it could run in but whether or not there are any races for you to attend. FE racing is sparse and hard to find outside of a couple of lucky enclaves of NAMBA land. The Pacific Northwest has a robust program and the upper midwest (Ohio/Michigan) as well. Florida and parts of Texas have some racers and also New Jersey does OK. Every place else it is tough.

Where are you located??
West central Florida....Tampa Bay area

This weekend we are racing in the first race of a combined nitro/FE IMPBA points series for 2009. It is planned to have 16 race days, with the participants using their 8 highest points race day finishes to determine who wins the Points Series in each class. There will be Sport Hydro, Hydro and Mono. The classes are combined like this:

.12 = LSH

.21 = P

.45 = Q

.61 = S

.90 = T

It should be a blast, we'll see how the UL-1s stack up against the .12 boats. This provides a venue for both FE guys and Nitro guys who don't have many regional races in which to run.....

./

I wish the wheather was better befor the race so I couold have dialed in my boat better, But the Nitro guys are friends and I was glad to see them. I did enjoy the day at the pond running one of my favorite boats, I can not wait to go out again and do some testing.

Knowing absolutly nothing about fast electrics (still!)....Is there a NAMBA class that the UL-1 can race in without having to spend MEGABUCKS for it to be legal or competitive in? I have an interest in FE and even built a Campell shovel nose hydro, but am still so utterly confused about what reasonably priced ESC/motor/battery/charger would work for the boat, that i just gave up on it for the time being...not that people on rum runner racing werent trying to help me out...they really tried...but it just isnt sinkin in....too much nitro on the brain, i guess!! Thanks, Bill

ALL that said Bill and the lack of any true F/E racing efforts in central Florida- besides the Wave Balsters

(and they are trying hard from what I hear)

Your better off going another route for the F/E kick - just my .02 ;)

Maybe we can talk Herbie into letting you run one of his F/E Tunnel hulls :)

There seem to be more and more showing up around here lately , and lord knows Herb has a FLEET :huh:

Andy

Knowing absolutely nothing about fast electrics (still!)....Is there a NAMBA class that the UL-1 can race in without having to spend MEGABUCKS for it to be legal or competitive in? I have an interest in FE and even built a Campell shovel nose hydro, but am still so utterly confused about what reasonably priced ESC/motor/battery/charger would work for the boat, that i just gave up on it for the time being...not that people on rum runner racing weren't trying to help me out...they really tried...but it just isn't sinking in....too much nitro on the brain, i guess!! Thanks, Bill

Hey Bill,

I just stumbled onto this thread. I'm the treasurer for the Wave Blasters and CD for our upcoming race on March 15th.

See our web-site for the entry details: Waveblasters.org

Your UL-1 is legal for our LSH class, which does allow specified brushless motors. Also the SV 27 brushless motors were legal for the LSH class at 2008 FE nationals. Send me a pm and lets swap phone numbers, I'll answer any other questions you may have in regards to our race. Currently we have 11 racers signed up for the LSH class. I expect to have 13 or 14 by the date of the actual race. That should be a very good class. I know that about half of the entries will be using UL-1's.

There are 3 or 4 guys traveling from the Tampa / Sarasota are for this race and there will be an all Saturday practice scheduled. You may want to get a hotel and make both days.

Hope this was of some help.

Thanks, Ken :D

Waveblasters.org

Also the SV 27 brushless motors were legal for the LSH class at 2008 FE nationals.

Thanks, Ken :D

It was ran as a club class at the 2008 Nationals, It was not a NAMBA National recognized class.

Latest posts

Back