Inboard motors for a Sport 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NitroHungry

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if you can give some input regarding what 21 inboard motor you would recommend for a Sport 21. The actual hull being a PT Super Sport 21.

I've been looking at the Nova Rossi, CMB, MAC, and RB Concepts.

What would you recommend? Thanks for the input!

Dean Johnson

Nova Rossi or the MAC would be my preference. I think the RB is overpriced and not worth the extra money. I don't have any good experiences with CMB so I will leave that one alone.

Mike

PS I run a MAC in mine.

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if you can give some input regarding what 21 inboard motor you would recommend for a Sport 21. The actual hull being a PT Super Sport 21.

I've been looking at the Nova Rossi, CMB, MAC, and RB Concepts.

What would you recommend? Thanks for the input!

Dean Johnson

Run what you can get....they are all good motors!

If you want the pipe straight out the back, then CMB Valvola or the MAC

If you want the wrap-around header motors, then CMB 21RS or the Nova Rossi.

Can't really go wrong with any of them......they ALL run well !!!

Be careful about moving the CG around. These boats can be (But not necessarily) sensitive to where the CG is. I had a friend who built one using a MAC motor, and he had a tough time getting it to run right.

My suggestions are :

1) Run a front radio box, even if you have the straight pipe out the back.

2) Consider putting the fuel tanks way up front as well

3) Consider mounting the motor a little bit further to the front of the boat

4) Be careful to not only watch to CG front to back, but also side to side (with a curled pipe on one side, and the radio box on the other, it may not be easy - hence my thought to run the front radio box)

Overall, these are fun boats. Phil did a good job. Enjoy.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dean

I have just run my SSP 21 at the OZ nationals. Its set up with a Nova LS and TD21 SPP pipe. front radio box is small but managable. I was suprised how well the boat handled and ran well. I only got one test session with this boat before I raced it so i had to use a stock 440/3 and ran my pipe longer that normal. Apart from loosing a steering servo in the third round this boat was in the top three all the wat through the event, if I would have finished the third round with a placing then I would have finished in the top 4. I am a rigger man and would have prefered to race a firefighter but this boat is awesome and has a lot more potential left in it yet. My 11 yo son has claimed it now so he will be able to race the riggers with stability and controll!

many thanks to Phill T for some excelent setups and a well designed sporty.

Regards

Dave

pics are in my gallery if you wanted to see some.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...cat=10090&pos=0

Thanks to all.

I'm hoping to find a Nova Rossi, however, it's turning out harder to get your hands on this motor than I thought. I've attempted to go through Rossi Sales, however, this seems to be a lost cause.

Thanks again guys!

Dean

A friend of mine receive his Nova LS on the 7 of April from Bill. Bill had just got them in that week. I would give him a call.

Mike

I'm running a cmb ls 21 in my new sport and it runs real well. It's stock out of the box. Tidewater has them on special. 275.00

Bob T.

Back