IMPBA & AMA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the outside, it sounds like they didn't want to be bothered and used that as an excuse to stop work on it. If that's really the case, it's not a surprise considering the small number of people in IMPBA vs AMA. It would be nice to get a report from the boating side of the discussion on whether this is or is not what is happening.

Just in case not everyone has an account on Jim's, here is the post:

This is from the minutes of the October AMA Executive council meeting:

c. IMPBA
• Hahn was directed by Council in April to investigate a membership program involving IMPBA.

• During the investigation it was uncovered that there are other boating organizations that need to be considered.

• The consensus was to table the issue indefinitely
http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...ecminutes.aspx

c. IMPBA
• Hahn was directed by Council in April to investigate a membership program involving IMPBA.

• During the investigation it was uncovered that there are other boating organizations that need to be considered.

Hey Bill, you're an AMA "insider", what's this mean?

c. IMPBA

They are saying that right now they are not interested in IMPBA becoming a Special Interest Group ( SIG ). The quicker an item during a meeting gets tabled, the less interest the group has in that item...............been there, done that. Everyone here knows how I feel about this, so we won't go into that. I have had dealings with the AMA, and just because the players change doesn't mean that the game changes, too. They will get more information on IMPBA over time to see what's going on in our organization, but until a knowledgeable person from IMPBA meets with a counterpart from AMA, both sides are going to be in the dark on this.

Good Morning, Terry!

Dick Tyndall

I don't have any real insight here beyond knowing that the AMA was looking at it from the perspective of how it would benefit the AMA. This was being looked at from within the Marketing Committee and their job is to evaluate possible means of expanding the awareness, interest and membership of the AMA. Apparently they decided that any potential benefit did not warrant further consideration of the idea.

I don't have any real insight here beyond knowing that the AMA was looking at it from the perspective of how it would benefit the AMA. This was being looked at from within the Marketing Committee and their job is to evaluate possible means of expanding the awareness, interest and membership of the AMA. Apparently they decided that any potential benefit did not warrant further consideration of the idea.
FYI- it was my understanding that it was the AMA who approached the IMPBA in the first place ............

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI- it was my understanding that it was the AMA who approached the IMPBA in the first place ............
well i guess i know what i will be doing with my ama renewal this year...right in the trash can, just like they did us.

terry

So it's done then, right?

It is my understanding that Greg Hahn, who is the AMA Technical Director and also an IMPBA member, was the intermediary in this situation. I don't think Greg was acting in his capacity as an AMA employee when he thought of getting the two groups talking. I think he did so as an IMPBA member concerned about their insurance situation. So I do not think that the AMA "officially" approached the IMPBA but I can see how it might be viewed that way. I think that Greg saw a problem and a possible solution, but in the end it was not a workable situation.

I cannot understand why anyone would hold that against either side, AMA or IMPBA. It was an idea worth consideration that turned out not to be a workable solution at this time. Hopefully the IMPBA will be able to resolve their insurance issues in some other manner. I still do not understand why they cannot go to the company that NAMBA uses. I cannot believe that an insurance company would want to turn away business in today's climate!

Roberts Rules of Order, Was used and the statment Tabled Indefinitley, means The subject or motion can not be brought back up for discussion. The motion had to be voted on by the board that was discussiong it. SOOOOOO it is over with AMA. Gary

Roberts Rules of Order, Was used and the statment Tabled Indefinitley, means The subject or motion can not be brought back up for discussion. The motion had to be voted on by the board that was discussiong it. SOOOOOO it is over with AMA. Gary
Was there even a motion, or was it just discussion? Also, a motion that has been tabled certainly can be taken up and voted on later. But anyway, it sounds like the AMA is done discussing this and probably will stay so unless there is a compelling reason for them to bring it up again.

OK...

Thanks Greg and the AMA for looking into this. If it could have been made to work that would have been nice..

BUT.. lets get on with it and push forward for a healthy IMPBA..

Grimracer

OK...
Thanks Greg and the AMA for looking into this. If it could have been made to work that would have been nice..

Grimracer

I second that, it's unselfish work like this that makes us better as a whole, "we" are the IMPBA. ;)

OK...

Grimracer
Absolutely. There is nothing that prevents this from being looked at again down the road if the situation or conditions warrant it. B)

While I am not surprised by this, I never thought it had much chance in the first place. What is the common element between AMA and IMPBA? Just both being modelers, one aircraft and the other boats. Only thing really similar.

The much better solution is to get a common insurance carrier among IMPBA, NAMBA and APBA. Strengths in numbers and a reduction in premiums. Separate organizations can still continue with each if desired but the insurance will be common among all 3 organizations. Win, win situation in my mind. I hope the new IMPBA board will take this on very early in the new year as we just see a continued escalation in insurance premiums and membership dues.

It just seems strange that Bill-Socal knows so much about IMPBA When he isn't even a member. If you look at the link he posted you will see at the top of the page it reads as follows.

"Executive Council Meeting

October 25, 2008

Muncie IN

Unofficial"

On November 25, 2008 I have a meeting with Mr Greg Hahn at AMA headquarters.

Bill if you are so interested in our organization PLEASE click on the link print it, fill it out, and JOIN

Membership application

When I get done with the meeting I will make my report to the board.

Kevin Sheren

IMPBA National Gas Director

IMPBA D2 Director

2009 IMPBA President

Last edited by a moderator:

Was there even a motion, or was it just discussion? Also, a motion that has been tabled certainly can be taken up and voted on later. But anyway, it sounds like the AMA is done discussing this and probably will stay so unless there is a compelling reason for them to bring it up again.
Probably NOT unless who ever made the motion to TABLE IT INDEFINITLY agrees to bring it up. Tabling a motion INDEFINITLY is a methadology in Roberts Rules of Order to basically end any furhter discussion or vote on an issue. I have used this approach in other board meetings in the past.

It just seems strange that Bill-Socal knows so much about IMPBA When he isn't even a member.
I posted the info because I thought it would be of interest to people on the boat forums, perhaps I was wrong. Clearly you have information from the IMPBA side of this matter which I do not. And while I am not an IMPBA member, I am an AMA member and active in the leadership of my AMA District, so I think that gives me the right to post on this subject.

Why the attitude??

Bill Malvey

AMA Leader Member 4172

Associate Vice President AMA District X

NAMBA 480

Latest posts

Back