I need a Unlimited Historian

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry, what Dave told me is that it costs in the range of $250,000 for a restoration and, without someone to sponsor a rebuild, the 6880 hull won't get any work done on it any time soon. That being said, I saw the 77 Atlas while I was at the HARM and it's looking great. Don Mock was telling me they have the tail feathers and cowl layed up and were pulling the Merlin out of the 82 boat to use it as a guide for shiming and alignment of the drive shaft and engine mounts in the 77 boat.. If all goes well, the boat could be on the water in time for Tri-Cities or SeaFair

View attachment 44484View attachment 44485View attachment 44486Took these 1-26-13. Unfortunately, the boat is not currently scheduled for restoration - due,in part, to the fact that the sponsons were sawed off to remove the hull from a hotel lobby. The good news is what was thought to be a junk display engine actually had a few useable parts & the one good cylinder head found a new home on the engine in the Miss Wahoo replica!
larry,

thank you for posting the 6880 transom photos, great tech reference for comparison with the rolled deck 7171 and 7206 hulls.

dave w.

Thanks Guys! This was a great search - always fun!

Yeah HJ, I don't know if there's enough love out there for that hull to raise that kind of funds. Having had the sponsons removed with a chainsaw doesn't mean it can't be restored - just more involved & more $$$.

I talked to Don Saturday & he said part of the reason they were putting the engine in the boat was so he could get the openings for the exhaust stacks "just right". He kinda chuckled & said it must be the model boater in him :lol: . Those guys are amazing! They pulled the Merlin out of the '82, put it in the '77 & had it back in the '82 & buttoned up by the time I got there around 2pm.

And yes, it's true - The Blue Blaster is ready for primer!

Back