How to remove orange peel?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Can someone describe a polishing process to remove orange peel?

I tried buffing with an auto rubbing compound and all it did was created lots of swirl marks. Do I need to wet sand the surface first? With want grit? And then what rubbing compound to use?

Thanks,

Kez

Can someone describe a polishing process to remove orange peel?

I tried buffing with an auto rubbing compound and all it did was created lots of swirl marks. Do I need to wet sand the surface first? With want grit? And then what rubbing compound to use?

Thanks,

Kez
It depends on how bad the orange peel is but yes it will require sandpaper. I would start with 600 or 800 wet & work your way up to 1000 then 1500 & polish it out. Go slowly with light pressure, rinse paper in water constantly & don't be heavy handed with the sanding.

Thanks.

So what do I do after sanding it with 1500 wet? What rubbing compound would you use? Would auto rubbing compoung be acceptable? Is it applicable to removing touch up overspray as well?

Kez

Thanks.

So what do I do after sanding it with 1500 wet? What rubbing compound would you use? Would auto rubbing compoung be acceptable? Is it applicable to removing touch up overspray as well?

Kez

I have had good success using 3M's Finesse available at auto body supply shops. I use a cheap 6 inch buffer that I got and clean lambswool and cotton covers.

Kez,

In addition to the fine advice given, let me add this, Always add two drops of dishwashing liquid into your water (bowl, bucket) to keep your paper clean and free from debris that would otherwise scar up the paint.

If this is single stage paint, my recommendation is to start with 1000 black-wet, and then sand only in circular motions, but be aware that you must stay away from the edges as edges have the least amount of paint on them. Depending on the degree or depth of the orange peel, work up towards 1500 after a once over with 1000.

You must also note the depth of the coats you have placed on.

Once you have sanded the flat sides of your project, 3M Perfect-It II -Rubbing compound will return the paint to its luster either by hand or with a small polishing wheel.

The part number for the compound is -05973 3M

Always , Always Always sand or polish in circular motions as to not scratch the surface.

You should see excellent results.

Rey G.

Last edited by a moderator:
BE CAREFULL AROUND THE EDGES! It is so easy to sand right through an edge into the primer (ask me how I know) If you are sanding on a relativly flat surface you might want to get a rubber pad. It will help you sand without making a valley and it will be harder to sand through the edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a heavy hand you can go as high as 2000 grit , which is what I use only because have I sanded thru before , also with this number it makes it easier to polish. chuck

Sanding being the least enjoyable process of paint work ,its sometimes better to wet sand orange peel out and recoat the surface.600 or 800 isnt the place to start wet sanding on such a small object ,1000 or even 1200 works much better and its much easier to control but takes longer.An old squeeze bottle with water works best .rinse ,sand ,rinse you should be able to see and feel the smoothness in the paint before to long as soon as you do stop.A small rubber squeege across the wet surface should locate any remaining defects as well as any scratches .In the future you might want to either decrease the flow of paint to your air cap or increase your air pressure to your gun .If your already into your work before you relize this you can over reduce just a little this will flow out better but its also easier to run. Good Luck

Or you do as I do. Look at the boat, say it looks like crap and move on. Odds are your first race someone will run you over or decide to play bumper boats with you. At 60 mph you can see the orange peel anyway. ;)

Mike

PS If you haven't notice, I hate to paint my boats.

.............and I thought orange peel was a cool thing to have on a paint job. I do it by design whether I try or not. Just ask Mike.

Hey Mikey.................. I am up here in Washington this week. But over in Tri-Cities.

See ya, Al Waters

Wow, good tips here. I had to check out this thread as soon as I saw Al Waters post on it. He has some of the most awesome paint jobs around and figured he might be sharing the secret to his success. His sport 40 paint design is legendary in these parts...

Upon further review, I learned many great things from all of you and found myself to be extremely dissapointed that the H20 man didn't share any thing with us!

.............and I thought orange peel was a cool thing to have on a paint job. I do it by design whether I try or not. Just ask Mike.

Hey Mikey.................. I am up here in Washington this week. But over in Tri-Cities.

See ya, Al Waters

Wow, good tips here. I had to check out this thread as soon as I saw Al Waters post on it. He has some of the most awesome paint jobs around and figured he might be sharing the secret to his success. His sport 40 paint design is legendary in these parts...

Upon further review, I learned many great things from all of you and found myself to be extremely dissapointed that the H20 man didn't share any thing with us!

See ya, Al Waters

See ya, Al Waters

Jay,

you know I never have any good tips. It took 15 times to get that green airbrush stroke just right. By that time I was already to the transom. ;)

I will say this. I came in third in Sport 40 at the Nats behind Jack St. Clair and Rick Bellanger. Thats as good as a win to me. Even with the Doo boat. ;)

See ya, Al

Back