How many classes do you race?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Seybold

Supporting Member
Hi,

I'm getting ready to enter my first race and was wondering how many different classes at a given race do boaters run? My gut feeling is probably 2 to 3. I'm sure at some point if you're entered into to many it becomes overwhelming. I'm just looking to have a good time and do some racing and don't what to get in over my head.

Thanks for any tips and advice.

John

I run usually run 2 classes. Sport 40 and Scale. Most of races in my District has those 2 next to each other. So I just bring both boats done to the pit area.

Was racing three classes now one isnt making the amount of boats to run so just two thats enough for me some people do like six or seven your thrashing all weekend no time to relax have fun

John,

Two is plenty in my opinion.

Much more and you really don't have a lot of fun.

You should open a hobby shop if you want to work on boats all day.

It will take you enough time just to have two ready to go and be competitive.

Guys remember this is a new racer not a seasoned veteran?

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
When I travel to the big races I usually limit myself to three classes. Granted I'm sure I could run more BUT when you run a bunch of classes all it takes is one "crisis" with a boat to turn a fun filled event into a nightmare..... been there, done that. Local races usually two or three but it depends on the mood as I go to the district events more so to chill with good buddies, have some fun and help out some of the up and coming racers if they need it. My good friend Bob Morton said it best a long time ago- "walk into the shop and pick any two".
default_biggrin.png

Used to run 6-7 classes at each race. I found it became more like work than a hobby. This year I am running 4 classes and feel pretty good about it. I have gotten to the point that if I have issues with a boat and it is not a easy fix, I just drop that class for the weekend. Next year it looks like I will be back up to 5 since I have a classic thunderboat being built for next year to race. This may not work for some people, but I am a professional flat rate auto mechanic, so I am used to being good at time management. LL

Five but I tend to overdo it and end up stressing myself out. And then the attention to detail goes out the window. Racing is just too much fun but you want to enjoy the time with your friends also. Three is a good number.

I raced six this weekend and helped a brand new racer with two, all electric. Yes, like the chargers I never stopped, but I'm an animal!
default_laugh.png

Got the hooks in another one!!
default_biggrin.png

Run open water and run in one or two class's and have fun meeting and talking with folks for awhile.

Add class's as you feel comfortable.

Good friend of mine races 10-12 class's a race and has a blast doing it but he has been racing for 20+ years.

Have fun and don't jump in to deep water before learning to swim.

Enjoy

Jeremy

3 to 5, depending on the race. I'm lucky that 3 of our d-12 races are close enough for me me to go home every night. That makes it easier should a problem with a boat arise, i have my shop at my disposal. Running the same boat in multiple class's helps, too. I run my b sport tunnel in sport & mod, & can run my lsg mono in oval & offshore. Running more class's with gas seems easier than the same number of nitro class's, at least to me. The hardest part for me is choosing what boats not to run, since that is a season long decision if you're running for a season title. For your first race, i'd pick the 2 you enjoy the most, john. A few races under your belt & you will find what is FUN for you. I have run 6 & 7, NOT FUN for me. Like john (my pit man), i was an auto line tech for 40 years. Wasn't about time management, it's about the lack of FUN. Pay attention the the word in caps!!

Hi,

I'm getting ready to enter my first race and was wondering how many different classes at a given race do boaters run? My gut feeling is probably 2 to 3. I'm sure at some point if you're entered into to many it becomes overwhelming. I'm just looking to have a good time and do some racing and don't what to get in over my head.

John

I think this question should be fielded by Jerry Crowther & Tom Foley

Hi,

John

I think this question should be fielded by Jerry Crowther & Tom Foley
That's funny RRRick, throw him to the wolves.
default_ohmy.png
John, your first race, 2 max and don't be afraid to ask allot of questions.
default_cool.png
RRRay

I like 3 but have been known to stray at large events.If your going to a small race 2 is plenty or you will run your butt off

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll bring three boats, assuming I have them close to being dialed in and race two of them. This way just in case there's not enough boats to make a class, I'll have an option.

I just race scale and most of our races are one day events with 15 to 30 boats. I used to run two boats and after 10 years I figured out that racing 2 boats is twice the work and half the fun

Marty

At one point I was running B,D,E and F hydro, sport 40 and 1/8 scale. And I would wonder why I was so tired at work the Monday after a race.........
default_rolleyes.gif

Back