how long does it that to build a scale hydro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obvieosly none of you guys ever took wood shop in jr.high or you'd know the complex skills gained from building pencil holders. All she wants to know is how "FAST" can this be done, just give her a set of plans and a week and her boat will smoke.
From catching fire, falling apart or being fast? I doubt it would be the later of the three :blink:
Yet another factor is tools a good band saw and a good belt sander are a must. Not to mention all the tools to build it square. Think about this West epoxy <slow needs an overnight set i would not use anything else unless you dont care if its strong light and durable when smacking a bouy at 50 mph. If you can biuld one in 6 months your smoking fast.............

Obvieosly none of you guys ever took wood shop in jr.high or you'd know the complex skills gained from building pencil holders. All she wants to know is how "FAST" can this be done, just give her a set of plans and a week and her boat will smoke.
From catching fire, falling apart or being fast? I doubt it would be the later of the three :blink:
Yet another factor is tools a good band saw and a good belt sander are a must. Not to mention all the tools to build it square. Think about this West epoxy <slow needs an overnight set i would not use anything else unless you dont care if its strong light and durable when smacking a bouy at 50 mph. If you can biuld one in 6 months your smoking fast.............
Many years ago i built a hull almost entirley with Zap....NEVER AGAIN SINCE!I learned my lesson and im more than willing to wait 24 hours for the glue to set ESPECIALLY when building a scale hydro!When Building one of these beautiful boats speed really shouldnt be the priority, doing it right and to the best of your ability should be! I do have a couple of boats that are approaching 30 years old because i did try my best and used slow set epoxy...the one boat that i built with CA didnt last six months! You made a VERY good point! Im not sure if i could build a wood scale boat from start to the water in 6 months if i was retired and could work on it 7 days a week...though id LOVE to give it a try!!

Is this what happens when Tom doesn't have the chatroom any more? We've gone through a lot of this stuff too many times in there.

OK, you've gotten some advice from some of the best around in dealing with scale hydro's, listen to them. Have you seen the Miss Madison movie? If you've got it, watch the closing credits and you'll see Harry Gatjen's name listed as one of the people that built the scale models used in it. I'd put him up towards the top of the list of people that do know what they're talking about when it comes to hydro's, either full-sized or scaled down. Mike and Ken aren't exactly slouches in this department either.

Is this what happens when Tom doesn't have the chatroom any more? We've gone through a lot of this stuff too many times in there.

OK, you've gotten some advice from some of the best around in dealing with scale hydro's, listen to them. Have you seen the Miss Madison movie? If you've got it, watch the closing credits and you'll see Harry Gatjen's name listed as one of the people that built the scale models used in it. I'd put him up towards the top of the list of people that do know what they're talking about when it comes to hydro's, either full-sized or scaled down. Mike and Ken aren't exactly slouches in this department either.

ehh ron i fight with the wife like they do when im in love..lol

tk

this guy will make em smile....

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, we see what happens when you fight with your wife as she's got one in the oven right now! :D

Yeah, HJ is taking his time in building his hydro but that's fine. He's also got other projects going on so he can't devote all of his spare time sitting at a workbench. He has a life besides RC boating too if you can believe that! :eek:

Terry, we see what happens when you fight with your wife as she's got one in the oven right now! :D

Yeah, HJ is taking his time in building his hydro but that's fine. He's also got other projects going on so he can't devote all of his spare time sitting at a workbench. He has a life besides RC boating too if you can believe that! :eek:
Glad someone took that into account, though it's actually too much of a life Ron ;) Been working on my Muck for the last few weeks, stripping it down, getting hardware fitted and getting it ready for paint. Also been laying out and reworking parts for a couple of "Sharks" and a gas scale 91 Madison. My plan is to have three or more ready for paint at once. I figure mixing paint for three is easier than doing it for one :D

I say take your time and build it right.Im going to start a scale round nose soon and i will take my time .I like the rtrs to there fun to run but i like to build and glad there are you all out there to help when its needed .I would listen to some one who takes pride in there builds and be slow to do it right then one that is more interested in the speed of the build .I would like to pass on my building experiens to my kids and have a well built boat.Good job to you guys who build good strong and butiful boats.

Miss Hydro you might want to give Steve a yell at RC Boat Company he has the Fritz molds there the one you are lookng for.

Back