how long does it that to build a scale hydro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misshydro

Ok guys.. I want to know how long does it take to build a wooden scale hydro? Like how many weeks or months or years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys.. I want to know how long does it take to build a wooden scale hydro? Like how many weeks or months or years?
Miss Hydro, i think it depends on building experiance, skills, and how good of a job you want to do on the boat..also what boat you are going to build as some are simplier to build than others...i am very slow at building my wood scale boats but i try very hard to build them to the best of my ability as that is the fun of it for me personally....i would say for me realistically 6 months to a year and sometimes longer....im sure some people can build faster than that, but not me!

I think you should watch Don Mock's videos (if it is still VHS or maybe Don has it put on DVD?) how it is made and like Bill says it depends on time skills etc. I have been working now on my hydroplane for 2 yrs and it is still not finished.

Miss Hydro,

I believe the answer to your question is best expressed in labor hours not days or months. As you may already know, there are many challenges to the building process...free time, money, parts, and paint to name just a few. If we could put together all the shop time and money and throw it at a project I say there is no reason an experienced builder couldn't build a boat in a month-6 weeks. If a novice attempted a build the time would certainly go up, but there are so many things to consider, it is really difficult to say. Are you thinking about building an 1/8th scale from scratch? It isn't easy, but it's very rewarding. If you need any help, let us know.

Scott

Miss Hydro,

I believe the answer to your question is best expressed in labor hours not days or months. As you may already know, there are many challenges to the building process...free time, money, parts, and paint to name just a few. If we could put together all the shop time and money and throw it at a project I say there is no reason an experienced builder couldn't build a boat in a month-6 weeks. If a novice attempted a build the time would certainly go up, but there are so many things to consider, it is really difficult to say. Are you thinking about building an 1/8th scale from scratch? It isn't easy, but it's very rewarding. If you need any help, let us know.

Scott
it would be my first build.I'd took wood shop&drafting in highschool.Got to build a 10 foot hydro from popular mechanic mag in highschool as a class project..Would like to build the U-1 Oberto....

Miss Hydro,

Scott
You can add serious amounts of time when you change things from the plans as well. I've REDESIGNED all but the sponsons while building a 1999 Miss Madison from Roger Newton plans. This has added YEARS to the build since I only had a few hours per year to actually get measurements off the full sized boat. To take it one step further, the 8806 hull was originally based on the Bud T-2, modified to carry the weight of a Turbo Allison. The plans Roger gave me represented the boat using the T-2 hull. This was all well and good, except the Madison was heavily modified at the Bud shop when it was changed to turbine power in 1990. Unfortunately, the plans were never changed to match the full sized boat, extended shoes being tacked on to get the correct length. This "complication" has made building the boat much harder and limited build time to what I could build from the measurements obtained that year while the boat was in Seattle. Now add having to make custom parts due to this redesign and time again goes up.

Just so you all know, this thread was started to discredit me since I have been working on my Miss Madison for 8 or so years. Misshydro doesn't realize how much research and time goes into a scale redesign and build to make a boat as accurate as possible, not to mention be race ready when finished. She seems to think that she can just build a 2007-2009 Oberto and it will run fine out of the box with an R/C controlled wing and canard. Any thoughts or advice for her guys? If you have any questions about her trying to discredit me, read this post http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=34373&view=findpost&p=309035s?

This build took about 3 1/2 months. Was very anal about doing it right only once !!

See: http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazine_Content/Boats/Blazer_Lauterbach/

Miss Hydro,

Scott
You can add serious amounts of time when you change things from the plans as well. I've REDESIGNED all but the sponsons while building a 1999 Miss Madison from Roger Newton plans. This has added YEARS to the build since I only had a few hours per year to actually get measurements off the full sized boat. To take it one step further, the 8806 hull was originally based on the Bud T-2, modified to carry the weight of a Turbo Allison. The plans Roger gave me represented the boat using the T-2 hull. This was all well and good, except the Madison was heavily modified at the Bud shop when it was changed to turbine power in 1990. Unfortunately, the plans were never changed to match the full sized boat, extended shoes being tacked on to get the correct length. This "complication" has made building the boat much harder and limited build time to what I could build from the measurements obtained that year while the boat was in Seattle. Now add having to make custom parts due to this redesign and time again goes up.

Just so you all know, this thread was started to discredit me since I have been working on my Miss Madison for 8 or so years. Misshydro doesn't realize how much research and time goes into a scale redesign and build to make a boat as accurate as possible, not to mention be race ready when finished. She seems to think that she can just build a 2007-2009 Oberto and it will run fine out of the box with an R/C controlled wing and canard. Any thoughts or advice for her guys?

Miss Hydro,

Scott

Just so you all know, this thread was started to discredit me since I have been working on my Miss Madison for 8 or so years. Misshydro doesn't realize how much research and time goes into a scale redesign and build to make a boat as accurate as possible, not to mention be race ready when finished. She seems to think that she can just build a 2007-2009 Oberto and it will run fine out of the box with an R/C controlled wing and canard. Any thoughts or advice for her guys? If you have any questions about her trying to discredit me, read this post http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=34373&view=findpost&p=309035s?
I kinda hope that the two of you are just joking around with each other cause if you are actually taking each other seriously than this whole thing is kinda silly....the amount of time it takes to build a scale boat is so dependent on the individuals abilities and circumstances and thier priorities for the boat...i try to build a nice looking boat but try not to get so carried away with the details that im scared to even race the thing, because we all know that all it takes is one oops in a heat and that beautiful boat that we spent so much time, labor and money on just became a kit again!! Not to mention that the allowences that are made in the rulebooks to allow the boats to handle better make the boats only sorta scale anyway and thats okay with me...I could never make fun of you for taking 8 years to build a scale boat as i have a 1982 Atlas Van Lines that is almost finished......after 20 YEARS!!!But i will say that if i put all the detail work in a boat that you are putting into your Miss Madison i would be SCARED TO DEATH TO RACE THE THING, but i will bet that its going to be a BEAUTIFUL boat when your finished with it. The degre of detail and authenticity that one wants to put into a scale boat is purely up to the individual....that to me is what is COOL about scale boats!!

Gotta love it, someone that understands my way of thinking. 20 years in an 82 Atlas, huh? I would like to see that one when finished as well :)

Miss Hydro,

Scott
it would be my first build.I'd took wood shop&drafting in highschool.Got to build a 10 foot hydro from popular mechanic mag in highschool as a class project..Would like to build the U-1 Oberto....

Miss Hydro for a first build the U-1 Miss Madison/Oberto would be very challenging. Have you considered building a Roundnose Scale? They are easier to make straight and far less complex than a modern hull with all the angles and wings. A great first project would be a scaled up Finlay Karelson or a Zippkit Gas Sport hydro? If you don't want to go gas, build a 1/12 scale and use sport 20 power on the cheap. I have a project going you might find interesting. Do you have a scroll saw?

Miss Hydro,

Scott

I kinda hope that the two of you are just joking around with each other cause if you are actually taking each other seriously than this whole thing is kinda silly....the amount of time it takes to build a scale boat is so dependent on the individuals abilities and circumstances and thier priorities for the boat...i try to build a nice looking boat but try not to get so carried away with the details that im scared to even race the thing, because we all know that all it takes is one oops in a heat and that beautiful boat that we spent so much time, labor and money on just became a kit again!! Not to mention that the allowences that are made in the rulebooks to allow the boats to handle better make the boats only sorta scale anyway and thats okay with me...I could never make fun of you for taking 8 years to build a scale boat as i have a 1982 Atlas Van Lines that is almost finished......after 20 YEARS!!!But i will say that if i put all the detail work in a boat that you are putting into your Miss Madison i would be SCARED TO DEATH TO RACE THE THING, but i will bet that its going to be a BEAUTIFUL boat when your finished with it. The degre of detail and authenticity that one wants to put into a scale boat is purely up to the individual....that to me is what is COOL about scale boats!!
No He's not joking around..I'm getting tired of it..Rips on people who's has RTR's..He has how many boats that are half built??and not one is finished..been in the R/C boating since july of 06 and seen not one completed&running boat from him..If I was build a scale boat,I would build one at at time insead of 8+half built boats..That to many irons in the fire=cant get any of them completed..thats crazy..You can say all you want about me HJ,But at least I can run my boats and have fun at the lake and ponds with them.....Ya you call them toy's all you want,but it better then not having a running boat and not having fun in the ponds...As soon as more funds come in I'll start to build a scale HJ and prove you wrong again the second time around.... :p Like the guy who'd replyed on Opio thread calling you a bench racer..wonder if it's true????

Don't hold your breath on any of those ideas, Scott. I've suggested several of the Newton 108s and a Newton 77 Atlas to her already to learn from, even shrinking them down to 36" and dropping in a 45. Her reply has always been "They're ugly" and "I want a turbine". I've suggested a Dumas kit or two as well, again no luck. To her, even the Vegas is ugly. Unless she gets an Oberto, she won't be happy.

As you can probably tell she ignored your post all together to take another shot at me.

Give it a rest miss wanna be. You've been using that same old line now for years. You go play with your pool toys and leave the real builders and boaters alone since you won't listen to any of us anyway. Just to clarify something, I only "rip" on you because you provoke it yourself. I'd be willing to bet you don't even know what a "bench racer" even is

Admin, will you please lock down or remove this thread since it's a waste of time and space. The originator has already shown she isn't interested in getting help, just bashing me.

Don't hold your breath on any of those ideas, Scott. I've suggested several of the Newton 108s and a Newton 77 Atlas to her already to learn from, even shrinking them down to 36" and dropping in a 45. Her reply has always been "They're ugly" and "I want a turbine". I've suggested a Dumas kit or two as well, again no luck. To her, even the Vegas is ugly. Unless she gets an Oberto, she won't be happy.
Why build a boat that you dont like for???? That makes the build unpleasurable=would come out like do do....As for the Dumas kit you call one of them junk! Told me not to build if it has proublems!You build what you like,that makes the build challange and alittle bit fun and when it completed you know you acomplished somthing you loved...want a bee?? you got room to talk bench racer...Plus say out of my threads HJ...I dont need you wrecking it!!Plus I rather get help from real builders that have completed& had there boats running..

Why build a boat that you dont like for???? That makes the build unpleasurable=would come out like do do....As for the Dumas kit you call one of them junk! Told me not to build if it has proublems!You build what you like,that makes the build challange and alittle bit fun and when it completed you know you acomplished somthing you loved...want a bee?? you got room to talk bench racer...Plus say out of my threads HJ...I dont need you wrecking it!!Plus I rather get help from real builders that have completed& had there boats running..
On a more constuctive note, you might contact unlimitedsnw.org & try to contact member Lee Langley. He built the U-3 about 5 yrs ago & documented the entire process on the club's website. He was a rookie & did get some help from a couple of veterans but he kept track of hours and $s. For what it's worth, when I first started building wood boats in the early '80s, I asked the same question of guys like Jack Haugen, Les Ruggles, Gale Whitestine & Dudley Powell. The general consensus was that a conservative estimate was about 300 hours. The best thing to do is get a set of plans for the boat you want and just get started. Get it built & run it. I guarantee you it won't be the best piece on the pond & there will be things about it you don't like. Just do the best you can, talk to people whose stuff works & when you're all done take what you learned & build another one - it will be even better!!

Larry K

I think you should watch Don Mock's videos (if it is still VHS or maybe Don has it put on DVD?) how it is made and like Bill says it depends on time skills etc. I have been working now on my hydroplane for 2 yrs and it is still not finished.
Don does now have the videos on DVD if you want to order them. Certainly how long it takes to build depends on how experienced you are, how much tiime you have per day to work on it, how detailed you want it to be and how complicated the particular boat is to build.

Roger Newton could build 3 boats at the same time in under 30 days, it took me two years to build my first boat, it took Don, Lee Robertson and I, 6 months to build my second. Too many variables to give an easy answer to this question.

It took me 2 years off & on to build my Dumas Atlas Van Lines but i `Swiss Cheesed' the frames and skinned the boat in .047 G10(compression molded epoxy glass sheet)instead of the luan from the kit. Also i filled in the canard area and made it into the `81' tribute boat and like others redesigned the sponson ride pads to cut down on lift. Don't let some of these guys deter you from building a kit it can be very rewarding. However if you are going to race it heavily in competition i would go with a molded hull. Easier to fix and keep up cosmetically.

Good Luck to you!

ATLAS U-00 IIb.jpg

Obvieosly none of you guys ever took wood shop in jr.high or you'd know the complex skills gained from building pencil holders. All she wants to know is how "FAST" can this be done, just give her a set of plans and a week and her boat will smoke.

Obvieosly none of you guys ever took wood shop in jr.high or you'd know the complex skills gained from building pencil holders. All she wants to know is how "FAST" can this be done, just give her a set of plans and a week and her boat will smoke.
From catching fire, falling apart or being fast? I doubt it would be the later of the three :blink:

Back