Help with stuffing tube

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Ashby

I'm modifying an 1/8th scale that is now set up with a 3/16th shaft.

I want to put in a 1/4 flex shaft. The hull has an off-center canoe.

Where do you bend the tube so you can center the prop? Can you go through the hull at an angle?

The current set up has a severe bend inside the hull so that it comes out the bottom centered, then the shaft heads straight to the strut. It doesn't seem efficient to me. I can feel it binding up a bit when I stick the shaft in. I would think a gradual S-shape would be better.

Also, what size brass stuffing tube, shaft, and teflon liner should I purchase?

Any/all free advice is welcome.

Doug,

You can buy stuffing boxes with the teflon already in from Aeromarine Laminates. A quick google search will give you there number. I buy the 24" stuffing boxes for 1/4 flex cable and cut to my length. I think the tubes retail for less than 15.00. I use them as one my distributors.

Your angle question also has something to do with the angle your motor is set at. If your motor sits at about a 20-25 degree angle, your stuffing box should go through the hull and the bend to level with your strut probably wont be too drastic. Once you've slotted the hull to allow the stuffing box to be placed you can mount in place and secure with caulking. At least thats what I do. I also use 1/4 " square drive cable .

I've had some success with this setup. You can see my stats at www.rcunlimiteds.org

Hope that helps a little

Bill Brandt

Doug,
You can buy stuffing boxes with the teflon already in from Aeromarine Laminates. A quick google search will give you there number. I buy the 24" stuffing boxes for 1/4 flex cable and cut to my length. I think the tubes retail for less than 15.00. I use them as one my distributors.

Your angle question also has something to do with the angle your motor is set at. If your motor sits at about a 20-25 degree angle, your stuffing box should go through the hull and the bend to level with your strut probably wont be too drastic. Once you've slotted the hull to allow the stuffing box to be placed you can mount in place and secure with caulking. At least thats what I do. I also use 1/4 " square drive cable .

I've had some success with this setup. You can see my stats at www.rcunlimiteds.org

Hope that helps a little

Bill Brandt

Thanks BIll. I don't need to look at the RCU page, I already know who you are. I've seen you race a few times.

The other thing I was wondering about was how to set it up when the cockpit is off centered, like with my 94 Bud.

Do I bend the shaft to the right inside the hull, or outside?

Doug,, From inside the hull to the engine collet ...this is a straight shot,, from the stuffing tube on the out side going to the strut,, this is where you would adopt the S bend,, Should have a bend in the stuffing tube no matter if the engine is off set or not...I have a couple of Bills old boats and this is what i have learned from the ole pro...... :D

Back