Head shim removal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikef18

I was going to remove the head shim from my o.s. 18 but when I removed the head I found 2 shims. Can I remove both and let the head button seat on the top of the sleeve or do I have to leave one in as a seal?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

you don't need one to seal. they are not a gasket, they are there to set head to piston clearance. don't have a clue as to what an os .18 likes for clearance, someone should jump on and fill in the blanks for you. any luck on a byrd's yet? i'm keeping my eyes open for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, hopefully someone knows what clearance I need. I found a Byrds hornet and just finished rigging it with an o.s. outboard. Hoping to run it tomorrow for the first time and work on the set up. Thanks.

I was going to remove the head shim from my o.s. 18 but when I removed the head I found 2 shims. Can I remove both and let the head button seat on the top of the sleeve or do I have to leave one in as a seal?? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Mike

What OS .18 are you referring too? Well I have the AQU .18 and removed the head shim for better compression and power. I also did the same on my OS .18 CV-R and found that it also had enough clearance where I could remove it as well.

I was going to remove the head shim from my o.s. 18 but when I removed the head I found 2 shims. Can I remove both and let the head button seat on the top of the sleeve or do I have to leave one in as a seal?? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Mike

What OS .18 are you referring too? Well I have the AQU .18 and removed the head shim for better compression and power. I also did the same on my OS .18 CV-R and found that it also had enough clearance where I could remove it as well.

I have an O.S. .18 TZ with a CV-R head in a Vegas.

Mike

I have an O.S. .18 TZ with a CV-R head in a Vegas.
I do not have a TZ so you would have to check if you have enough head clearance before removing the shim, to insure that you do not tap out. One way you can check for head clearance is by removing your head. On the bottom side, you can apply a thin layer of drive shaft grease, as evenly as possible, on the bottom of head. Then put the head back and pull your starter slowly. After a couple of revolutions, pull the head back off and check if any grease got on the piston, if so do not remove the shim. Obviously you remove the head shim before doing this test and put it back if it fails. Let me know as I have a TZ on order.

Back