Gas Scale Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gale54

4.jpgGas Scale build.jpg5.jpg7.jpg9.jpg9.jpg11.jpg10.jpg3.jpgsecuredownload.jpgsecuredownload.jpg

My 1979 Squire Shop and Chris 1979 Circus gas scale under constuction. Thanks to Spoonx for his nice kits Mike makes good kits.

Very Cool! Glad you liked the kits. I had a lot of fun building the 1/8th scale version of it with the dominos sponsonship. Keep us up to date! Mike

Good looking projects, we will have to race next year. You are going to have room under thecowl for the carb and header? Is the hull built deep enough to have the carb under the deckline? I had to do wome mods on mine to get that Zenoah under the decks.

I have my 82U55 about done. I am getting Miss Houstons decal set for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, we had two small problems with the kit easy fix thou. The main #4 baulkhead was 1/4 short for some reason. we cut it in the middle and boom all went fine. Only wish engine well was 6" to help clear some things. But all is working and I am having fun building this hull great kit keep up the work you have made gas scale and 1/8 scale fun again. Oh and double thumbs up on the front end. I love the step down way you had the pices cut out. Easy to sand and shape couldn't be any easer.

Phil, the carb will fit under the deck but to be able to get to the carb and choke it we are making a hatch like the Zipp kits. Mike made a nice deep engine well with belly pan to get the engine down low.

I will keep everyone posted as we go.

I have patterns for the wood cowl parts for the 82u55 it is close to what you have there. Let me know if you would like a copy.
Hi Phil - looks like Gas Scale is taking off. I get asked on a regular basis who has what cowls for sale. Are you going to be selling cowls for the 82u55. My guess is you would get quite a few orders and so would Mike for the kits. We just had 4 new hulls registered this week in the PNWTA club. I think that brings us to 15 hulls that have been built or will be built for next season. To borrow a line from someone on the dock

" Gas Scale coming to a pond near you "

Keep us posted. I want one.

How are you going to handle fresh air flow to the motor without having to cut big holes in the cowl or add “Non Scale” air scoops in the deck? I know my other gas boats need a lot of air flow especially on those days when the heat index is above 100 deg.

DonB

Another interesting thing about the 8255 cowling, is it actually fits certain 7931 (the above hull in this build thread) models. My 85 Dominos Pizza being one of those! Mike

Don, the air flow problem is why we choose the piston powered boats they had cut outs and vents every where. The modern turbine boats maybe the way to go to that big air intake has to help.

Is Blazers T boat driver the correct size? I was going to use a GI Joe for my boat like my T Boat.

Looks like Hulliger driving the OLY :lol: :lol: :lol: Boats a beauty. Marty are all the west coast boats rear exhaust?

Has the impba adopted a set of rules for this class yet? Or are there any rules at all yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for rules till boats run and are performing well. This is what Martys club is doing then he will submit for NAMBA rules

I will do a mold of my cowl. Where are the 1/7 size drivers for these boats? Larry Kraemer working on one?
Phil - Let me know when you have them for sale and I will spread the word- I assume that they will fit Mikes hull kits so with your cowl and Mikes 82u55 hull someone can have a fairly easy build... Heck I might have to add one to my fleet.... :)

No need for rules till boats run and are performing well. This is what Martys club is doing then he will submit for NAMBA rules
Below are links to the racing rules and Master Hull Roster we are following in the NW. The rules will be very familiar to scale racers in both IMPBA and NAMBA . The important part to me is that we all build to the same Master Hull Roster dimensions so when boats get sold and parts are manufactured we are consistent in what we build. This is what allowed 1/8 Scale Nitro to be such a great class. We put a lot of thought into the scale we chose for the Gas Scale Hydro Class - needed to be large enough to fit the motors without having to have bumps on the cowls and small enough not to exceed the NAMBA sixty inch length rule for insurance. In the PNWTA club we have settled on the NAMBA GX -1 motor class as it gives us the horsepower we need to push these large boats to the same speeds as the 1/8 nitro scale boats . Please visit www.pnwta.org for information and photos of some of our boats...

http://www.pnwta.org/editor_upload/File/PNWTA%20Rules%202011.pdf Racing rules

http://www.pnwta.org/editor_upload/File/PNWTA%20Hull%20Roster%20Website.pdf Master Hull Roster

Looks like Hulliger driving the OLY :lol: :lol: :lol: Boats a beauty. Marty are all the west coast boats rear exhaust?
Mike- So far the pickle forks are rear exhaust R-254 with the J/G Hemi top ends and the round nose hulls are running side exhaust motors. A lot of builders are now planning their pickle fork builds with side exhaust motors and are going to do what Phil did with a little hatch to flip up to get to the carb. Personally I like the rear exhaust RCMK R-254 with the belt start as it mounts like a NITRO motor and and has a belt start fly wheel. I also believe it is easer to rig in the boat as the motor mounts go through the bottom of the hulls just like we build our scale NITRO hulls. BTW- Bob painted the drivers face on the Oly boat and it does look a little like him. :) :) :)

Mike, I do not want to start a big disagreement on this. I think we need rules on this class even if it is just District ones so that people are on the same page during builds. It would be bad if someone built a boat spent alot of time running and when the class is official that persons boat was now illegal. Plus I would love to be on the same rules that Marty and the gang are using that way we are all on the same page. It would also be better for the people building to be on all the same rules size wise.

Back