Flex shaft grease?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hugh one of the reasons why some remove the flex ecspecially if you run on salt water is when you leave the flex curved in the stuffing tube the flex can rust even after removng & cleaning & it sets itself to the curve. Ive seen this done where a club member didnt use his boat for a while then took the boat out to run & the flex was binding due to this problem. Opened the throttle & blew the esc because of the amp increase. Some also remove the flex & clean with wd40 then store it straight in an oil bath as just in case theirs water inside the windings of the flex. Re castor oil this is the standard oil used on skeg/strut bearings for more than 30years here in the UK on tethered i/c hydros.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a steve woods oiler but either way i would pull the shaft out an at least check it now an then prop's work better on the boat then pond bottom lol . the none oiler boat's i have get greased every time out and shaft takin out each time just me . good luck adam

Boaters,

If you use grease put on a disposable glove first.

Castor or Lubriplate

Thanks,

Mark

Castor oil for all shaft lubes, smoother and slipperier than anything else that is environmentally friendly.

Get a shaft oiler from anyone of the guys that sell them on this site and you will never go back to grease.

Remove the shafts , clean , inspect , store dry on the shelf or in the boat just laying in there . come back to the boat after a few months weeks , whatever and no surprises . Works well for me but whatever floats yer boats ! Merry Christmas !

Grease doesn't get down into the inter part of the cable were castor or heavy oil will.That's my 02 cents.

Dave

Ive been looking for a shaft oiler for 3/16 shafts.Ive found them for 1/4 inch.Any help would be great.

Back