Extracting broken bolt

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would be best to not drill, send it to someone like me or a Wood, we know our methods work, don't make a mess out of it first. all this stuff about chemicals and drilling will possibly work under certain conditions, but not when there is quite so much rust envolved.

Mike B

[email protected]

Thanks all for your replies and your offering to help. I learn something new everyday. I did a search on the internet and there are ways to "dissolve" broken tap/bolt electrichemically. This is too elaborate to try at home but it is good to know anyway.
tnrboatracer, Brad, where can I buy a left hand drill? I think a regular HHS will not work. Of course the next challenge is to have a drill press that can turn CCW. Mine is belt driven and will only turn CW.

Mike, if I tried to drill it out and failed, would you be able to weld on the broken bolt?

Steve, I don't know how you took out the broken bolts. If I failed to drill it out, will you be able to save it?

Thanks,

Kez
i would just as soon you not touch it.i'm not trying to tick you off, but i do this kind of stuff every day and you can do more damage to it if you don't have the tooling to do it right.

#1 mill off top of bolt if possible

#2 center drill

#3 drill with undersize bit,left hand if available can sometimes grab and screw out broken piece

#4 drill with proper bit

#5 re tap

forget the acid crap

Latest posts

Back