E-GLASS ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

I read an article by Don Mock a while back saying he used a material called e-glass for decking material, can anyone provide any information about this material? I'm trying to build a sport 60/90 hydro and keep it as light as I can. Thank's, Glenn

E -glass is standard fiberglass. S-glass is the higher strngth cersion. Both are available in the same weights, one is a little stronger than the other.
Thank's Jon, Anyone know where to buy sheets long enough for a 1/8 scale hull(43 inches)?

Best place to start is your local phone book looking under fiberglass/plastic and fine a retailer that sells it local by the yard. They will also have all of the other items you will need to do glass work( resin ,gloves mix cups and can answer questions right on the spot.

best way other than ordering cloth from uscomposites or composites canada etc which is my local supplyer.

Best place to start is your local phone book looking under fiberglass/plastic and fine a retailer that sells it local by the yard. They will also have all of the other items you will need to do glass work( resin ,gloves mix cups and can answer questions right on the spot.
best way other than ordering cloth from uscomposites or composites canada etc which is my local supplyer.
Thank's Thomas

Try www.ACP-composites.com or www.cstsales.com. Both cary cured graphite cloth and unidirectional plates.
Thank's Jon, ACP has .020 thick sheets in 36 wide by 48 long. Does this thickness sound alright guys?
That would come out to 1/48th of an inch thick. Am I doing my math right? That seems awful flimsy for doing bulkheads and perhaps a little flimsy for decking. Anybody else have an opinion?
Thank's Rich, The framework of my boat is all wood-.100 inch plywood with .100 inch ply and some thinner carbon fibre doublers and the bottom is also .100 inch ply the frame is pretty stiff. .025 or .030 might be better for the deck but all I've found so far is .020 and .063. still open for suggestions guys. I checked the price on .015 carbon fibre and it would cost $150 to skin the deck and it would have a seam in the middle-not crazy about that

Try www.ACP-composites.com or www.cstsales.com. Both cary cured graphite cloth and unidirectional plates.
Thank's Jon, ACP has .020 thick sheets in 36 wide by 48 long. Does this thickness sound alright guys?
That would come out to 1/48th of an inch thick. Am I doing my math right? That seems awful flimsy for doing bulkheads and perhaps a little flimsy for decking. Anybody else have an opinion?
Thank's Rich, The framework of my boat is all wood-.100 inch plywood with .100 inch ply and some thinner carbon fibre doublers and the bottom is also .100 inch ply the frame is pretty stiff. .025 or .030 might be better for the deck but all I've found so far is .020 and .063. still open for suggestions guys. I checked the price on .015 carbon fibre and it would cost $150 to skin the deck and it would have a seam in the middle-not crazy about that

Back