Dynamite .15 Miss Bud engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyual767

Hey everyone. After looking at these engines for quite a while, I felt that these are pretty decent little mills and I bought one (used.) The little Miss Bud may ge a lot of complaints but this engine seems to be pretty decent. What can you guys tell me about it? Does anyone know the hp rating? Thanks!

Danny

Some people like the missbud. Mike (grimracer) said that where he is they have them running 40mph. I've never seen one run that fast. Personally, I don't like them. I think they are better to look at than to run.

Thanks guys for the comments. I bought only the engine and not the complete Miss Bud. I've heard a lot of not-so-great things about the little Miss Bud. It's the info on the engine that I'm really looking for!

Anyone else have any info on this engine. I thought a lot of people had the boat and would have some experience with this engine but it looks like I may be wrong :unsure: . Anyone else?

I've run the aircooled versions in the Horizon Nitro Fury. It ran fine on 30% nitro. I think the w/c version is basically the same engine.

You could replace the header that comes with the Miss Bud Dynamite .15 with a car header that would eliminate having the tuned pipe over the radio box.

JD

I've had trouble trying to find any info on the Dynamite engines including the .32 in the Shockwave 36. Why it's so hard, I don't know. Most companies like the brag about their HP and RPM numbers, true or not.

Thanks for your info, Jerry. I've already got a brand new Hobbico tuned pipe for the engine that I bought for another .15 engine that I already own. I'm hoping that the Dynamite engine is considerably better than the HPI .15 FE that I already have.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZV1&P=0

Ron, I'm surprized that I'm having so much trouble finding info on this Dynamite engine. I know a whole bunch of them were sold in Miss Buds so lots of people must have some experience with them. I thought that I read (a while back) that the engine is pretty decent even if the overall Miss Bud leaves a lot to be desired.

I've got a Dumas Lil Rascal outrigger that I've built and its getting close to being water ready. Over a year ago, I bought a brand new, water cooled HPI .15 FE engine from ebay. I thought that I made a good purchase but people on this forum informed me that I bought a low hp, non-abc engine :eek: :blink: . I felt that this Dynamite is a much better engine.

I've got a miss bud with the dynamite engine. Ran the engine for about 10 tanks or so. I cut on the liner and the crank a bit with the dremel and it ran a bit better. I swapped it out for a mod Traxxas TRX15. The boat and prop location are holding the boat boat back speedwise. Engine wise I thought that the dynamite one-way bearing installed inside the crank-case is not the best design. I've had one-way bearing slippage issues with other engines that used this techinque -Never used the dynamite long enough to experience any issues apart from a leaking cooling head. I fixed that when I re-assembled the head with the o-rings in the right place (Factory assembly issue)

I never really gave the engine or the bud-boat much of a chance. I did address the leaks and such -but it really needs new hardware/prop and a new engine if you want to go fast.

posted by Jerry,

I would not consider the Dynamite .15 one of the "hot" engine choices for 12/15 size motors. But, those "hot" engines have a rather large $$$ price.
Yeah, I never really thought that it was a real racing engine. I was just looking for something that would be a couple of steps up from the low performance HPI FE engine that I've had waiting to go in the Lil Rascal which is itself not a real racing boat :D .

Eric, it sounds like you noticed a bearing design problem that you didn't like.

Thank you both for your information!

posted by Jerry,

I would not consider the Dynamite .15 one of the "hot" engine choices for 12/15 size motors. But, those "hot" engines have a rather large $$$ price.
Yeah, I never really thought that it was a real racing engine. I was just looking for something that would be a couple of steps up from the low performance HPI FE engine that I've had waiting to go in the Lil Rascal which is itself not a real racing boat :D .

Eric, it sounds like you noticed a bearing design problem that you didn't like.

Thank you both for your information!
My last buy was an OS CRV from Tower. You can get the std-shaft with rotary carb for $90 with the air-cooled head. I purchased the $20 marine water-cooled head from the marine CRV18 and have a very decent $110 marine/buggy engine. Tower has some early-bird specials going on right now might as well pick up some extra stuff and take $15 off the order.

RCCA dynoed the air-cooled CRV18 at 1.3 horses and had a good top-end. These are good numbers from a sub $100 engine.

posted by Eric,

RCCA dynoed the air-cooled CRV18 at 1.3 horses and had a good top-end. These are good numbers from a sub $100 engine.
Wow! I found this on Tower's website:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP4&P=0

They've got the listed hp as 1.35 for this $85 engine :eek: ! Wow! I did notice that the rated hp was at 30,000rpm, though. Kinda high but still looks like a real performing engine for a great price.

I had a response to this same thread on rcboatmodeler.com and someone said that the Dynamite .15 engine was pushing about 1.1hp. This is similar to what I remember reading somewhere about a year ago. I don't think that is too shabby for just sporting around in a little boat. I'm not a racer but I don't want to look like I'm out running slow, boring toys either ;) !

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Nitro Fury that JD was talking about. It was a nitro converted Shiada River Racer basically. It was an OK boat to mess around with but not a lot of speed to it. I ended up by giving it to Wade Swatzell for his sons to play with.

You don't really have to spend big bucks to find a good running .12 or .15, you have to find the right one. Some of the car and truck engines don't seem to have even close to the right timing in them. I've found this out the expensive way. The O.S.'s seemed to have it closer to what we need. Unfortunately the one that I bought is now out of production. I've got a few Trinity/Picco's that are decent but not quite the "oomph" of the OS.

You have to watch it when you replace the header on the Dynamite as the mounting bolts are farther apart than on most engines in its size range. I've got a Miss Bud header and have found this out.

posted by Ron,

You have to watch it when you replace the header on the Dynamite as the mounting bolts are farther apart than on most engines in its size range. I've got a Miss Bud header and have found this out.
Dang :( !!! I was keeping my fingers crossed that this wouldn't be an issue. Arrrrggghhhh! More money :rolleyes: !

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news :D ! When I got home late last night, my engine had arrived in the mail and I checked the Hobbico header that I have and the bolt pattern is an exact match ;) .

The seller of the engine said that the engine wasn't broken in yet as it only had 2 tanks of fuel run through it on a very rich setting. The engine looks good and clean and it was well oiled and not all beat up but what I really noticed about it was how much compression the thing has :eek: . Compared to my brand new, low perf HPI .15FE engine, this thing has a ton of compression. It takes way more pull on the starter cord to turn this engine over and the "pops" are really something compared to the HPI. Now maybe when the HPI is run a little, things will change but right now it seems like this little Dynamite .15 is going to be able to make my Lil Rascal scoot!

Latest posts

Back