Dupont NASON

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeWScott

Anyone ever use Nason from Dupont? Any issues spraying over top of West System epoxy? Or using the clear over a sray can laquer?

Anyone ever use Nason from Dupont? Any issues spraying over top of West System epoxy? Or using the clear over a sray can laquer?
No proublems.. your safe.. I used NASON over spray can dupi-color.. Plus I use Crossfire clear over Dupi-color colors with no proublems..NASON&CROSSFIRE are the same,both are urethanes..pretty much compatable with each other..Both my oberto hydro are dupi-color with Crossfire clear on top of them..
gallery_3638_682_55232.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks, awesome paint work on all of those boats!! Miss Hydro, the guy's at the paint shop told me to clear over the laquer within an hour, not to let the paint cure real good before the clear. Did you let the dupli color dry for long before you cleared it?

Joe,

I'm sure it's dried up by now, but if it hadn't I'd tell you I've got about 75% of a quart of NASON I'd GIVE you. I'll NEVER use NASON again. NEVER. I put it on as directed, let it cure for the specified time, and it still turned to goo when exposed to fuel. The key is the lack of hardener with the NASON. It probably doesn't matter if you use PPG, DuPont, Sikkens or whatever. If it doesn't have a hardener in the mix, it will NOT be furel proof for long. Personally I'd usggest PPG2021 Polyurethane clear. It will run you about $125 for a quart mix (which will actually mix up over a half gallon of paint), but it is completely and totally, 100% fuel proof. Even after long exposure to raw fuel. When Dave Roach and I first started using it, we sprayed a piece of scrap wood and let it set for the full seven day cure time, poured 65% fuel on it and let it set until it evaporated. After wiping off the oil, there ws abosolutely no eveidence of exposure to the fuel.

BTW, you were told correct. You want to five the base coat time to "flash", but not enough to cure. If the base coat is allowed to cure, the clear will not bond as well. We give it anywhere from 15-45 min after the final color coat, usually somewhere in the 30 min range.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Crossfire high performance spot clear from from NAPA cost 21.00 a quart. And 1/2 of hardner is 9.00..I've used laqcure thinner in the clear to thin it out and gotton way many times with no proublem.. but the reducer for the clear is 12.00 quart..Ok I also spray a coat of laqcure clear then let it dry for a day or two then use a gray scotch bright pad to make the surface scuffed for clear..I havent used NASON clears,just there colors.. All my jobs are cleared with CROSSFIRE! Its works great and nitro doesnt bother it plus it saves you in your walet too..plus my customers love the finish and savings.Havent have any complains from my customers yet.. PPG make a buget line too called platume. The last time I'd used that was 10 years ago..That also works great to and save you some money too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back