drilling holes in tight spaces

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerbob

I'm looking to pass a waterline through the radio box on my roadrunner tub and since i've only delt with glass hulls in the past few years and have'nt had to deal with this, how in the world do you drill a hole in the lower corner of a bulkhead? :blink: Hands and fingers too fat to fit.

take a 36" brass tube cut 4 slots 90 deg. apart. do not deburr. it will flex and get the closest to the corner. be sure to hold it a couple of inches infront of where you are drilling. besure to put something inside of the tube where your drill in attached so you dont smash it. hope this helps.

jon

take a 36" brass tube cut 4 slots 90 deg. apart. do not deburr. it will flex and get the closest to the corner. be sure to hold it a couple of inches infront of where you are drilling. besure to put something inside of the tube where your drill in attached so you dont smash it. hope this helps.

jon
Primative, but effective. Just tried it out and it works. Might take a while but it's too cold outside to do anything and I got my "Honey do's" out of the way yesterday so I've got got plenty of time. Thanks! :D

Take a nail bend it 90 degrees then heat it red hot burn a hole tru the bulk head.

I'm looking to pass a waterline through the radio box on my roadrunner tub and since i've only delt with glass hulls in the past few years and have'nt had to deal with this, how in the world do you drill a hole in the lower corner of a bulkhead? :blink: Hands and fingers too fat to fit.
I run one piece of brass tube full length from engine well to bait box. Here's a super simple way to do it. Take a section of the tube size you want (I use 5/32") about 10" to 12" longer than you need. Chuck one end in your cordless drill & while holding the other end spin it against some 80 grit to sharpen the edge. Then simply hold that sharpened end in the engine well where you what to come thru at. Crank up the drill & with medium pressure push the drill. The longer length of the brass is to allow you to gently bend the tube as it spins up & away from tub. The tube will easily drill itself thru the bulkhead. Continue straight thru the radio box to rear bulkhead again holding tube where you want it to go thru. As soon as it penetrates out the other side, pull back out, cut to the length you want (be sure tube is clear first) slide it back in & a few drops of epoxy on both sides of radio box walls where tube goes thru & you're done. You will not get a tighter fit around the tubes than by using the tube to make the hole. This whole process start to finish takes about 5 minutes. I buy & use 3 foot sections of tubing & this method will typically yield 2 riggers per 3 foot section. B)

Apparently this is much like what Jon does. Started on this post before his went up but stepped away & came back to finish it. Oh well you get the idea. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I run one piece of brass tube full length from engine well to bait box. Here's a super simple way to do it. Take a section of the tube size you want (I use 5/32") about 10" to 12" longer than you need. Chuck one end in your cordless drill & while holding the other end spin it against some 80 grit to sharpen the edge. Then simply hold that sharpened end in the engine well where you what to come thru at. Crank up the drill & with medium pressure push the drill. The longer length of the brass is to allow you to gently bend the tube as it spins up & away from tub. The tube will easily drill itself thru the bulkhead. Continue straight thru the radio box to rear bulkhead again holding tube where you want it to go thru. As soon as it penetrates out the other side, pull back out, cut to the length you want (be sure tube is clear first) slide it back in & a few drops of epoxy on both sides of radio box walls where tube goes thru & you're done. You will not get a tighter fit around the tubes than by using the tube to make the hole. This whole process start to finish takes about 5 minutes. I buy & use 3 foot sections of tubing & this method will typically yield 2 riggers per 3 foot section. B)

Apparently this is much like what Jon does. Started on this post before his went up but stepped away & came back to finish it. Oh well you get the idea. ;)
Sounds pretty cool... trying to picture this - if you dont have enough space to fit the dremel or drill down in the tub...then when you start drilling w/ the tube isn't it @ an angle, or am I missing something here. Would love to see pics of this being done because I just don't see how you get a level hole through the bulk head if the tube starts out cutting @ an angle !!!!

Sounds pretty cool... trying to picture this - if you dont have enough space to fit the dremel or drill down in the tub...then when you start drilling w/ the tube isn't it @ an angle, or am I missing something here. Would love to see pics of this being done because I just don't see how you get a level hole through the bulk head if the tube starts out cutting @ an angle !!!!
That's why you go from the engine well TO the bait box (transom area) The long length of the brass tube will allow it to be held with a gentle bend in it while spinning so your are in fact squared up at the engine well/radio box bulkhead. I'm actually going to do a tub tonight so if you give me a little time I'll post a pic or two later. ;)

That's why you go from the engine well TO the bait box (transom area) The long length of the brass tube will allow it to be held with a gentle bend in it while spinning so your are in fact squared up at the engine well/radio box bulkhead. I'm actually going to do a tub tonight so if you give me a little time I'll post a pic or two later. ;)
Would be much appreciated , especially since I need to get some holes as described in my little bitty blizzard to accomodate push rods and seals. Absolutely no room to fit any kind of cutting device in there, might just have to use the 90* dremel attachment.

Would be much appreciated , especially since I need to get some holes as described in my little bitty blizzard to accomodate push rods and seals. Absolutely no room to fit any kind of cutting device in there, might just have to use the 90* dremel attachment.
Here ya go-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=33&pos=10

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=33&pos=11

This is fast & simple not to mention you can get the tubing right up against the side then just bend each end out for silicone tubing clearance once you've fitted the brass tube & epoxied it in place. B)

Here ya go-

This is fast & simple not to mention you can get the tubing right up against the side then just bend each end out for silicone tubing clearance once you've fitted the brass tube & epoxied it in place. B)
You're the man Don...thanks for the pics, those will be invaluable for future builds !!!!!

Regards,

Mark T.

Here ya go-

Don that's a great process. Have you ever had problems with the seal breaking from tub flex?

In the past I've always drilled a hole in each bulkhead that is slightly smaller than fuel tubing and after resealing the wood, I pull one piece of tubing from the rudder through the bulkheads and to the motor.

Don that's a great process. Have you ever had problems with the seal breaking from tub flex?
Nope not ever. You will be surprised how tight the fit is when you do it this way. ;)

And BTW- do this BEFORE you seal the tub & radio box areas with epoxy. It's alot easier for the brass tube to cut thru wood that hasn't yet been sealed. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another tip, spot glue tube to side of tub to stop any vibration. ( can cause tube to crack.)

Don :)

I just had to try the tube technique last night after reading this thread - it works great! Thanks!

Back