Designers Question ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

Looking for some drawing software. But don't want the tremendous price of the AutoCAD systems. Does anyone have a preference or some advice for something that is versitile. How about one that surfaces? Any suggestions? Thanks Chris

It's been a while since I really used any of this software. You might try Solidworks, Solidedge, Anvil,...

Do a search on naval architecture and CAD software. There were some programs specificaly made for this type work. If you got an older generation copy you could get it cheap. I don't know what you consider cheap. I don't think that any of these packages that are worth anything are low price.

When you are working in complex shapes and curves in a program that isn't 'parametric' you will eventualy be banging your head on the table when you have to make any changes. The parametric software updates any of the attached elements automaticaly. The non parametric programs make you go back and change every line manualy. Parametric software is the only way to go.

Jim Vota

Looking for some drawing software. But don't want the tremendous price of the AutoCAD systems. Does anyone have a preference or some advice for something that is versitile. How about one that surfaces? Any suggestions? Thanks Chris

Freeship is a good program for smooth hulls and the Carlson Hulls program is good for chine hulls. both are free and will take considerable time to learn as will any CAD program.

Lohring Miller

The cost of a good parametric software just for designing model boats does not make much sense. Don't take me wrong, I use ProE to design all my boats. I can generate the CG info, do airflow analysis with Fluent and send 3d data to machinists to CNC custom parts... IT's great,.. but if you had to buy this just to design model boats it would just cost too much. You can get a student version of AutoCad pretty cheap. I need to get one to help with some 2d manipulation for the lazer cutter...

The AutoCad stuff for students is a limited time, usually 180 days trial version. I have seen some of the other members use some different types of CAD programs and wondered how the liked them. I acquired a copy of the Solidworks CAD but am having trouble getting the file to go. It needs to be on a computer that is "online" or it will not allow itself to open.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did download the solidedge program, for free. I loaded it on the computer. After start up, it wanted to go to the solidedge site to register itself. Problem being I don't use the laptop online. So it would not open.

Latest posts

Back