Clear windshield

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Sametz

Supporting Member
I know this has been dicussed before, what do you use for a windshield on a scale, an how do you bend it to shape needed. Also can you bend it around the piece you cut out of cowl?????? Ray

Ray, I have used the airplane canopys from the hobby shop , Take your cowl there and look thru the different sizes and styles to find the one that will conform to the needed shape of your windshield opening. There are many styles .

Joe

I know this has been dicussed before, what do you use for a windshield on a scale, an how do you bend it to shape needed. Also can you bend it around the piece you cut out of cowl?????? Ray
Use clear plastic from pop bottles. The 2 qt. bottles works real good for the turbine cowling windshields. They are mold injected and can be formed with heat. I use a heat gun, but have heard a hair dryer will work.

SIG makes a plastic sheet that forms using heat. I use a hair dryer.

Phil thomas uses it to make his windshields and told me. I can't recall the product number, but I'm sure he knows it.

Brian

PETG or Vivak plastic is what they use to make 2 liter bottles, it forms very well in .020 or .030 thick for windshields, it also does not get brittle like lexan after forming with heat.. You can buy it at most plastic suppliers, 4x8 sheet is 20.00 for the .020 and 30.00 for .030, that's a lot of w/s for the $. I use a vac former, and have never tried forming it using a heat gun, but I'm sure the .020 would form with a heat gun and some patience. Good luck......

Ray,

The way I have done it is to use the material supplied by Sig that others have mentioned. The sheet is only 0.030" thick. I heated it with a hot air gun. For the form, I used the plug I made the cowling mold from. Heated the plastic to were it is pliable and then placed it over the plug. Takes about two trys to get the shape and temperature correct.

After formed, to make fuel proof I lightly wet sand with 600 grit. Just enough to take the shine out of it so the paint will stick. After that I spray it with clear automotive paint. The clear paint makes the scratches go away and it is clear again.

Hope this helps some.

Mike

SIG makes a plastic sheet that forms using heat. I use a hair dryer.Phil thomas uses it to make his windshields and told me. I can't recall the product number, but I'm sure he knows it.

Brian
YES Get the .040 thick so it wont break out from roostertails hittting the boat.

It forms easily with a hot hair dryer, i use the mold for the cowl and heat the plastic till it gets flexible then press the part into the mold.

You could heat it and press it around a cowl you have, I guess.

Cut a paper pattern in the shape of the finished windshield then cut it out of the plastic before forming.

The shape flat looks like a boomerang, whatever suits your cowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back