Budweiser Hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Ashby

For you scale experts...

What is the difference between the 1994 #8701 Bud hull and the #8901 Bud hull?

Is the 8701 the gold hull that Budweiser made them paint red? No modifications?

For you scale experts...

The #8701 Bud had the white/gold/red paint scheme, ran from '87-'93, was painted all red for it's last year in '94.

The #8901 Bud also had the white/gold/red paint scheme, ran from '89 - '93, was painted all red in '94 & got rebuilt in '95 & ran until '01. It returned to action this year as Miss Emcor & Al Deeby Dodge.

Both boats got sponson updates in 1990, all info as per the Master Hull roster. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear Sponsons or Rear Shoes?

So correct me if I'm wrong but I am just trying to keep this straight. The 8701 is the T2 and the 8901 is the T3 correct?

By the way look like The T4 (Llumar ....Beacon Plumbing) might be getting retired. I am hearing rumblings that they plan to build a new hull for 2007.

For you scale experts...

The #8701 Bud had the white/gold/red paint scheme, ran from '87-'93, was painted all red for it's last year in '94.

The #8901 Bud also had the white/gold/red paint scheme, ran from '89 - '93, was painted all red in '94 & got rebuilt in '95 & ran until '01. It returned to action this year as Miss Emcor & Al Deeby Dodge.

Both boats got sponson updates in 1990, all info as per the Master Hull roster. B)
Where are you getting this hull roster info? Is there a web sight?

I meant the rear shoes.

Did they just paint the gold one red, or did they modify it?

I don't think the gold 8901 had rear shoes did it?

I meant the rear shoes.

Did they just paint the gold one red, or did they modify it?

I don't think the gold 8901 had rear shoes did it?

I don't remember the Bud hulls staying the same from year to year. They were always tweaking / changing them. They did a lot of wind tunnel testing and would implement the things they found that worked. Ron Brown was not affraid to mess with success. Almost always made it better.

That said, if you stood back and looked at the hulls from the shore line while they were running, you sometimes would have hard pressed to identify the changes.

Jim Vota

Rear Sponsons or Rear Shoes?

So correct me if I'm wrong but I am just trying to keep this straight. The 8701 is the T2 and the 8901 is the T3 correct?

By the way look like The T4 (Llumar ....Beacon Plumbing) might be getting retired. I am hearing rumblings that they plan to build a new hull for 2007.
Doesn't seem like they would need to... They had great times in the last final :rolleyes:

I wonder if they build a new one, if they will drag the T-4 arround as a "backup"

I believe both the T2 and T3 had shoes. There had to be something different about the T3 though that the right sponson was always trying to lift. That's why you see the little sharkfin wing on the outside of the right sponson. Chip had them add it. It was supposed to add a little downforce to keep it down. I never saw the bottom of the boat so I can't really give you an educated explanation of any changes.

For those asking about the Master Hull Roster. RCU maintains the APBA Master Hull Roster that you can download at www.rcunlimiteds.org

NAMBA also has a version of that same roster at www.namba.com under the RESOURCES tab I believe. Both are updated annually. Almost all the measurements of any boat that ever ran an an APBA or ABRA registered hull is there except a couple.

I believe both the T2 and T3 had shoes. There had to be something different about the T3 though that the right sponson was always trying to lift. That's why you see the little sharkfin wing on the outside of the right sponson. Chip had them add it. It was supposed to add a little downforce to keep it down. I never saw the bottom of the boat so I can't really give you an educated explanation of any changes.

For those asking about the Master Hull Roster. RCU maintains the APBA Master Hull Roster that you can download at www.rcunlimiteds.org

NAMBA also has a version of that same roster at www.namba.com under the RESOURCES tab I believe. Both are updated annually. Almost all the measurements of any boat that ever ran an an APBA or ABRA registered hull is there except a couple.
The rear shoes were added to both boats in 1992. Both were Red White and Gold and the T-2 was going to be retired that way until the T-3 crashed in Seattle in 1994. The T-2 was rushed back into service in it's Red. White and Gold trim but was repainted for the San Diego race. It's only race in a Red configuration. Becuase of that the T2 can only be run as a "red " version with the Salt Water scoop attached.

The T2 has a slightly pointier cockpit and the front wing on the T-3 is a little deeper. The T2 has a metal plate under the turbine tube while on the T3 the area is red. The T2 also only ran with the really short turbine tube. when it was red.

Photo of T2

Photo of T3

Harry, correct me if I'm wrong but in the Red White and Gold scheme they both had the large fluted turbine exhaust. Although I do remember in 1993 Chip ran with no turbine tube and just the hot section sticking out at a race or two but I couldn't tell you which boat that was but I would guess it was the T3.

Harry, correct me if I'm wrong but in the Red White and Gold scheme they both had the large fluted turbine exhaust. Although I do remember in 1993 Chip ran with no turbine tube and just the hot section sticking out at a race or two but I couldn't tell you which boat that was but I would guess it was the T3.
Over the years they both started with that huge kind of bent turbine tube, the in 1993 they switched to the smaller tube and you are rght they did run a couple of races with just the hot section sitcking out. Both in 1993 and then with the T-2 in 1994. I think that is what is showing n the picture of the T2 I posted. Although it is hard to see from that angle.

Would I not be able to run a red T-2 without the salt water scoop?

The other tweaks look pretty easy.

I've never done a cowling before.

I think that depends on how stringent your group is with the rules. In RCU, no you couldn't, many other places your probably could.

I have a spare salt water scoop if you get to that being an issue. Also Troy McInintire RCU has the mold for the rest of the cowl if you want to go that route.

Harry

Doug, play it safe & build it the right way then there is no issue. Hook up with Harry and/or Jeff and add the salt scoop. Besides it looks very cool & will set your boat apart from all the other Bud's out there. :D

The rear shoes were added to both boats in 1992. Both were Red White and Gold and the T-2 was going to be retired that way until the T-3 crashed in Seattle in 1994. The T-2 was rushed back into service in it's Red. White and Gold trim but was repainted for the San Diego race. It's only race in a Red configuration. Becuase of that the T2 can only be run as a "red " version with the Salt Water scoop attached.

The T2 has a slightly pointier cockpit and the front wing on the T-3 is a little deeper. The T2 has a metal plate under the turbine tube while on the T3 the area is red. The T2 also only ran with the really short turbine tube. when it was red.

Photo of T2

Photo of T3 [/u

I was under the impression that the shoes went on the same time the tiplets did. Wasn't that 1990? If I remember right, the Madison came out of the Bud shop with tiplets AND shoes after the 90/91 turbine conversion and rebuild, which was a rough copy of what the Bud crew had already done to T2 and T3. Unfortunately, your pictures don't show any of the details on this :unsure:

Latest posts

Back