Best .21 Pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

After much prodding and pushing by a few people both on this forum(Bill and RJ for starters)and off, I ordered a pair of Dumas kits, the 20 sized Pak and the Eagle. Since I haven't done anything smaller than a Sport 40 in over 20 years, I need some recommendations on the best pipe for this set up. Now, before anyone starts saying K&B's are junk, these will NOT BE RACING BOATS, they will be strictly for fun and to see how far I can stretch the envelope into other similar boats, such as the 77 Atlas or similar boats. There will be a build thread as soon as I can get started, so(hopefully tomorrow) when the kits arrive we'll see how things go. Needless to say, even the stock design won't be built stock :)

if it's a drum rotor k&b, i've had good results from both the ops 3280 or the macs 1324 pipe. not 100% sure of the macs #, it's their .21 high nitro (hn) pipe. contact al hobbs about his "russian copy" 3280 B) . because of the k&b drum rotor's case volume (it's kinda large), i usually end up around 8 1/2" to 8 5/8" - plug to fat part of the pipe.

if it's a drum rotor k&b, i've had good results from both the ops 3280 or the macs 1324 pipe. not 100% sure of the macs #, it's their .21 high nitro (hn) pipe. contact al hobbs about his "russian copy" 3280 B) . because of the k&b drum rotor's case volume (it's kinda large), i usually end up around 8 1/2" to 8 5/8" - plug to fat part of the pipe.

Yep...ive run both pipes on my Sport 20/K&B 3.5 Drum and they both ran good...i think i ran mine just a tick longer but the boat was a bit of a sled so it needed a little help on the low side! Seemed i got a little more top end with the 3280.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep...ive run both pipes on my Sport 20/K&B 3.5 Drum and they both ran good...i think i ran mine just a tick longer but the boat was a bit of a sled so it needed a little help on the low side! Seemed i got a little more top end with the 3280.....
I'm actually on the hunt for a 3280 pipe for my ops .21

I'm actually on the hunt for a 3280 pipe for my ops .21
Get hold of Al Hobbs you wont be sorry. He has a great pipe

Sound like a unanimous vote for the 3280 pipe. Looks like I need to give Al a yell as soon as I get some spare cash B)

Just went over to the MECOA page to verify which engine I'm looking at. It's the REAR INTAKE DRUM ROTOR MODEL 8916. As soon as I can scrape together a little more green stuff, I'll be ordering at least one :)

I stock several pipes, including 4 different pipes for 21 size engines.

Al Hobbs

Just went over to the MECOA page to verify which engine I'm looking at. It's the REAR INTAKE DRUM ROTOR MODEL 8916. As soon as I can scrape together a little more green stuff, I'll be ordering at least one :)

HJ, unless you can find a used one, you may want to reconsider your engine selection as those engines have been out of production for years....go back to the K&B web site and look at the due date for that motor....sadly it appears that Mecoa has little to no interest in manufacturing K&B engines...if they did, id be buying em myself as i always liked K&B engines....

HJ, unless you can find a used one, you may want to reconsider your engine selection as those engines have been out of production for years....go back to the K&B web site and look at the due date for that motor....sadly it appears that Mecoa has little to no interest in manufacturing K&B engines...if they did, id be buying em myself as i always liked K&B engines....
Okay, the due date was Jan 1, 2009. IF they aren't making them anymore, what would be a good alternative with comparable numbers and price tage of $195 or there abouts? For tHe record, the "Go" and other off brands ARE NOT AN OPTION

Easy answer..contact Glenn Quarles about the TOP(Nova Rossi)5 port 3.5 IB... i purchased one for my new 20 hydro...I havent run mine yet, but several people on IW have and they speak highly of them...its a very well made little motor and is THE lowest priced "name brand" motor out there today...Lord knows ANYTHING under 300.00 is considered cheap for a 20 motor today...i got mine for 215.00...the header is seperate, so i think it was about 235.00 with the header.

Okay, the due date was Jan 1, 2009. IF they aren't making them anymore, what would be a good alternative with comparable numbers and price tage of $195 or there abouts? For tHe record, the "Go" and other off brands ARE NOT AN OPTION

Glenn Quarles, Nova Rossi 5 port 21, about $215 best bang for the buck

Only $215? I was looking at the others listed and they were $300+. What makes the NR 5 port less expensive? Also, is the 3280 still a good pipe to run with it?

My bad, was looking at the CMB 21's at $300+ for the HR series. Glenn has the 7 port listed at $265 in his distributor thread

Sometimes on ebay you'l find a nib k&b .21 for around 105-110 bux. I bought my New OPS .21 for 120 bux.

Latest posts

Back