balance point

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

I'm building a 43x22 hydro and wondered where the boat should balance. I haven't skinned the deck or sponsons yet and the cowl hasn't been built. All parts and hardware were added along with 16 ounces at the fuel tank location and it balanced on a straight edge about 1.5 inches aft of the rear of the sponsons. Am I in the ballpark? Should the turn fin be at the balance point? Thank's, Glenn

You're probably in the ballpark but it would help to know what boat you are building. Is it from plans, a kit or something you designed?

You're probably in the ballpark but it would help to know what boat you are building. Is it from plans, a kit or something you designed?
Thank's for your reply, it's a elderly Dumas 1973 Pay & Pak kit that is morphing into a sport hydro with a O.S. .81. I had a few motors and some hardware left over from a couple of catamarns that never got built(found out I had no intrest in cats, only sport or scale). It's a new build, not an overweight old boat. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank's again, Glenn

I'm assuming you already have started building, so I have a couple of questions for you:

1) did you use the supplied framing? I hope not as it's very low quality and soaks up water like a sponge

2) did you cut litening holes in the framework? I hope so as it will lighten the boat considerably and give the water a way to get out of the boat

3) Are you using Dumas hardware? I hope not as it's at the very bottom of the quality scale

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you already have started building, so I have a couple of questions for you:1) did you use the supplied framing? I hope not as it's very low quality and soaks up water like a sponge

2) did you cut litening holes in the framework? I hope so as it will lighten the boat considerably and give the water a way to get out of the boat

3) Are you using Dumas hardware? I hope not as it's at the very bottom of the quality scale
Hydro Junkie, This is the second Dumas kit for me and I'm trying to avoid all the mistakes I made on the first one. I did use the supplied framing(luan mahogany ply I think). I did drill a LOT of lightning/drain holes and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to put a couple light coats of top-flite clear on the interior of the boat before I skin the deck and sponsons. The engine bay will get a couple light coats of epoxy paint and I'm putting in 6ea 10-32 stainless button head screws to drain any water that might get in the sponsons or under the decking with an auto-bailer to drain the center section. I ran a piece of 5/16 aluminum tubing thru the lower port side of the radio box to drain the engine bay and ground a 5/16 notch in the bottom of the #7 bulkhead to allow the water to flow thru to the auto bailer. And no, I did not use any of Dumas's hardware. The rudder is a speedmaster I shortned the mount 7/16 to tuck it closer to the transom. Strut is a needle roller bearing unit and turn fin and bracket are carbon fibre and adjustable. Also put carbon fibre doublers on the transom, strut mount and turn fin(found out on my first Dumas how much the cheesy mahogany expands and contracts when it get's wet and then dries). Any responses welcome, Thank's, Glenn

Back