Anyone know

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Impba 1/8 scale - Is it legal to run a boat that never qualified for an unlimited event (like this one)?

Dave, This is taken, as written, from the IMPBA rulebook, section H:
All boats to be modeled after Unlimited Hydroplanes from the past or present as listed on the APBA Master Hull Roster. Boat must be modeled after an unlimited hydroplane that qualified and/or raced in a sanctioned event, in undamaged prototype configuration, matching an available boat in use photograph which will be required for documentation.

I highlighted the section that directly pertains to your question

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark,

1. Where can we find a copy of the current APBA Master Hull Roster???
  2. What is the source of your : "This is taken, as written, from the IMPBA rulebook, section H:"

I just checked the IMPBA Web site. I copied and pasted this FYI:

This is the current Rule Book April 6, 2013.

Current Trial Rules are also listed at the top of the page.

"March 2008 H - 5 Nitro Special Classes

Engine and Boat Specifications

1. All boats to be modeled after Unlimited hydroplanes from past or present.

2. All boats to be built to a scale of 1 1/2" to 1'0" (1/8 scale) plus or minus 10% of the

beam and 5% of the length.

3. Boats will look as scale as possible and meet the following requirements for racing

and scale judging:

a. Cockpit with driver

b. Complete all major lettering and paint schemes

c. Effort must be made to conceal glow engine with fake engine or cowling as

per prototype boats.

d. Minimum 50% of glow engine crankcase (flywheel is not considered part

of crankcase) must be concealed with fake engine or cowling as per

prototype boat.

4. Hull bottom and running hardware will not be judged or checked. However, hull must

not deviate from conventional 3-point hydro (unless prototype was a different design).

a. Hull bottom must be scale appearing.

b. Belly pants are acceptable to clear engine and/or flywheel.

c. Secondary front sponson running surfaces are optional.

d. Air traps are optional.

5. Engine must correspond with IMPBA Class "E".

6. Boat shall use same number of propellers as the prototype.

7. The drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype's strut and/or

drive dog did so. Photo documentation may be requested for proof by race CD or

district scale director.

8. No twin rudder assemblies allowed.

9. Boats should have the ability to change frequency"

CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, I found the rule below in the currently posted IMPBA rulebook so I think you went too far down the page

Registration Procedures

1. All boats to be modeled after Unlimited Hydroplanes from the past or present as

listed on the APBA Master Hull Roster. Boat must be modeled after an

unlimited hydroplane that qualified and/or raced in a sanctioned event, in

undamaged prototype configuration, matching an available boat in use

photograph which will be required for documentation.

http://www.rcunlimiteds.org/webpages/downloads/MasterHullRoster_4-19-2013.pdf

Humm, isn't that interesting. I would have expected to find that in the Engine and Boat Specification section.

http://www.rcunlimit...r_4-19-2013.pdf - - This reference appears to be the "R/C Unlimiteds Master Hull Rooster".

The other one I know of is the NAMBA 1/8th Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster

Where is the current, illusive, APBA official document ???

Har, Har !!! You want to talk about UGLY - - - a Friend asked for my help researching a MHR 6466 U-66 Miss Liberty. If beauty is skin deep - this thing is ugly down to the bone!!! I ended up building one also. It's "Befugly" but I think it may be a good race boat.

Sounds like a real challenge morphing a MLB Thriftway Too kit into a U-99. I build from scratch using Wood Over Foam (WOF), to avoid having 2375 pieces of various kits of laying around !!! Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

attachicon.gif
Miss Liberty.jpg
attachicon.gif
Miss Liberty 2.jpg
attachicon.gif
Dave Berry's U-66 Liberty.JPG
attachicon.gif
Bob's U-66 Miss Liberty.jpg
So if the info on the back of the ThunderBoat card is correct - then this boat is not eligible to race in a Impba 1/8 scale event. Correct?

Bob, R/C U WAS the official APBA listing. Now that the club has moved to NAMBA, I don't know if that's still the case.

Back