Anyone know

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

What the inside boat was ??

i5aasl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Andy,

Inside??? Which direction do you think these artist's conceptions are running. Big boat world puts the U-95 Inside. The tunnel or the U-95 ? What - - is the pressure getting to you? I hear ready to rig, then test. OK, Blast o poop completed. I see it's in Scale & Sport Forum so:

The U-95 is Master Hull Roster 7495 . It was a twin turbine engine boat when it first ran as U-95 No Name , ran under many different liveries through 1983 as a piston packer - U-8 Executone with wing . We first saw it at the season opener in Miami Marine Stadium in 1974.

CHEERS !!! Bob

It's too bad her turbines weren't up to the task or she probably would have made the Rolls and Allison powered boats obsolete 10 years sooner that was the case. The failure of her turbines in Seattle, unfortunately, also relegated her to the status of an "also ran" rather than a front runner that she most likely would have been

the tunnel looks like an old dumas hot shot, drew :lol: . seriously, it appears to be a generic tunnel drawing used for the cover. the engine is a very old (even for '73) merc, maybe even pre white, like a mark 75 era style. that style cowl, upper & lower engine housings were used on red & green & the very first white engines. not a molinari, ron jones, carlson, or glastron carlson. almost reminds me of a magnum missle with a different deck, but there were so many short lived hulls back then. tunnels evolved VERY quickly in the late '60s & '70s, some only ran 1 time before they were scrapped for the "next new thing".

Hey Andy,

Inside??? Which direction do you think these artist's conceptions are running. Big boat world puts the U-95 Inside. The tunnel or the U-95 ? What - - is the pressure getting to you? I hear ready to rig, then test. OK, Blast o poop completed. I see it's in Scale & Sport Forum so:

The U-95 is Master Hull Roster 7495 . It was a twin turbine engine boat when it first ran as U-95 No Name , ran under many different liveries through 1983 as a piston packer - U-8 Executone with wing . We first saw it at the season opener in Miami Marine Stadium in 1974.

CHEERS !!! Bob

attachicon.gif
u-95-05.jpg
attachicon.gif
7495 #5.JPG
attachicon.gif
7495 #2.JPG
attachicon.gif
Pin symbol.JPG

Ya got me there Bob, I meant the outside boat- the tunnel . Talked to Rrrick Sunday, and its ready to go back together- no jitters here my friend, only anticipation - It looks really nice and I cant wait to pull the trigger B)

Robin, it would make a cool Mod VP is what I was thinking :p

Hey Andy,

Looking for info on a tunnel in the Sport and Scale Forum - - are you a Mad Man or What ??? Har, Har !!! My first thought was - Naaaa, he wouldn't dare. But you payed that puppy out there and stomped on it.

The M&P looks really good - I expect nothing less from Rick. When is the test/transfer scheduled @ Kem's??

It looked as if they had fair Scale numbers at the Melbourne race. Are you pounding the palmettos in an attempt to get more Scale boats running in District 3?? I hear Dan McCormick's is ready, and Art Appruzzee's needs a bit more work before ready to rumble. CHEERS !!! Bob

Once he lets me know Bob- I figure a week or two after . And yes- test at Kems .

I will be holding the radio Robert- not much chance of that ;)

The tunnel boat looks to be a Molinari ( sp? ) from the 1970's era. Italian design and built. I have seen some of these at the antique raceboat meets in past years. These were the boats to beat back in the day.

Dick Tyndall

Once he lets me know Bob- I figure a week or two after . And yes- test at Kems .

Andy,

How-bout the weekend after Thanksgiving?, let me know what you think, so I cane make sure it's OK with Kem & Julie.

And try to get a few to make the trip with me to "PLAY" model boats for the day....

Have to re-think this,,, may be busy that weekend STAND BY!!!

The tunnel boat looks to be a Molinari ( sp? ) from the 1970's era. Italian design and built. I have seen some of these at the antique raceboat meets in past years. These were the boats to beat back in the day.

Dick Tyndall
you could be right, dick. i haven't seen one in a lot longer than you.........i 'thought' i remembered them having a more aero/rounded deck profile, but age has crept in, so i'm not gonna swear to it :lol: :lol:

Andy,

How-bout the weekend after Thanksgiving?, let me know what you think, so I cane make sure it's OK with Kem & Julie.

And try to get a few to make the trip with me to "PLAY" model boats for the day....

Have to re-think this,,, may be busy that weekend STAND BY!!!

Andy, PM inbound

In fairness to the U-95, it was a rocket when it ran right. For ONE heat in the Tri Cities, before the Seattle disaster, it ran great and drove around the "big dog" of that era;the Pay-n-Pak. At that moment I knew piston engines were doomed.

Blew up one of the turbines and sank... Last run for the hull under turbine power. It was really an amazing boat to watch; Though it ran twin turbines it was even quieter than modern turbine hydros. All you could hear as it ran was the water slapping the sponsons. Almost 40 years ago... Man I'm getting old!

Hey Scott,

There is a very good article: "The Saga of Jim Clapp and the U-95" written by Fred Farley on the HARM site - http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0183.html

There was another turbine powered Unlimited - the MHR 7499 U-99 Miss Lapeer. I have an article ( The True Turbine Story or something like that) somewhere in this disaster of a filing system, but can't find it at the moment. It also had two turbines - one was used for propulsion, a smaller one was used to power other services. It was never successful. It showed up at the 9Sept73 National Championship Regatta in Detroit but did not qualify.

U-95 debut was at the 5AUG73 U.I.M. World Championship in Seattle. It also did not qualify. CHEERS !!! Bob

I know! Call me crazy, but the Miss Lapeer is so ugly it's beautiful! I went so far as to buy one of the laser cut kits for the old Thriftway with intentions of building the Lapeer. The Thriftway was the only other boat anywhere near the size of the massive Lapeer. I still hope to put it together one of these days, but we'll see!

Har, Har !!! You want to talk about UGLY - - - a Friend asked for my help researching a MHR 6466 U-66 Miss Liberty. If beauty is skin deep - this thing is ugly down to the bone!!! I ended up building one also. It's "Befugly" but I think it may be a good race boat.

Sounds like a real challenge morphing a MLB Thriftway Too kit into a U-99. I build from scratch using Wood Over Foam (WOF), to avoid having 2375 pieces of various kits of laying around !!! Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Har, Har !!! You want to talk about UGLY - - - a Friend asked for my help researching a MHR 6466 U-66 Miss Liberty. If beauty is skin deep - this thing is ugly down to the bone!!! I ended up building one also. It's "Befugly" but I think it may be a good race boat.

Sounds like a real challenge morphing a MLB Thriftway Too kit into a U-99. I build from scratch using Wood Over Foam (WOF), to avoid having 2375 pieces of various kits of laying around !!! Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

attachicon.gif
Miss Liberty.jpg
attachicon.gif
Miss Liberty 2.jpg
attachicon.gif
Dave Berry's U-66 Liberty.JPG
attachicon.gif
Bob's U-66 Miss Liberty.jpg
That is one ugly boat!

Your amount of knowledge and documents/photos never cease to amaze me Bob B)

Did you ever run the model ??

Happy Thanksgiving.

Andy

Back