Aeromarine sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyotatruckin

I getting ready to rebuild an old aeromarine sport 40 front to back and havent found to much info on them, first off it has some old H20 hardware on it(heavy) what speedmaster strut and rudder would i need to get to replace them with 3/16 stub and i want flat bottom but speed master has a couple different ones and not sure which to get,

Next is CG and hull lay-out, as of right now it has a metal tank in the front and an aeromarine radio box big enough to pack my lunch in in the back CMB gold head .45 and a donkey of a turn fin need some ideas here guys, thanks.

Here are some shots of it, the boat AS_IS runs out nice BUT I know it has more that could be pulled from it....Oh current CG with empty tank is aprox. 4.5" from the rear of the sponson, going from netx to the turn fin mount.

100_0936.jpg

100_0937.jpg

100_0938.jpg

100_0939.jpg

100_0940.jpg

100_0941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, Aeromarine tends to make their radio box bigger than you need. You can make your own or get a smaller one from them.

For a flat bottom strut you could go with this one: http://www.rossisales.com/vm3flatbottom.html since the other one is more for a 21 hydro.

For the rudder you could go with this one: http://www.rossisales.com/hydro21.html its well suited for the 40 size and the blade is plenty long, I have that one and worked great.

For the turn fin a Mike Hughes fin also works great and a dick tyndal (el zorrow) turn fin are also very nice but he his out of commission for the moment.

Dan.

I getting ready to rebuild an old aeromarine sport 40 front to back and havent found to much info on them, first off it has some old H20 hardware on it(heavy) what speedmaster strut and rudder would i need to get to replace them with 3/16 stub and i want flat bottom but speed master has a couple different ones and not sure which to get,Next is CG and hull lay-out, as of right now it has a metal tank in the front and an aeromarine radio box big enough to pack my lunch in in the back CMB gold head .45 and a donkey of a turn fin need some ideas here guys, thanks.

Ask for the sport20 strut, it fits a sport40 too, he doesnt list it you have to ask for it it has flat bottom and the rear extension so it can be mounted under the hull ok

the info you guys are giving is great and I thank you for it!!! Keep it commin! I to looked at the strut when i got the boat and thought the same thing but its on right even though the taper should have been on both ends of this one, the strut blade is sharp on both front and back and the bearing is in the rear like it should be(prop side) as for the rudder,the angle bracket is a is speedmaster the extension is home made and the actual rudder and hinge are speedmaster....The day i got the boat it ran and was a good running boat but speed should have been much better...

I stripped the hull down and just to give you an idea how over kill the hardware was made look below

strut and bracket weigh 3.4 oz and the bottom is 1/2" square and 2 1/4" long

Rudder is 5.5 oz and is Very large you could use it on a gas boat with no problems

turn fin is 2.3oz but it the wrong stape with no angle to the left inside just straight down into the water

the radio box comes in at 18.6 oz less RX and is 10 1/4"L x 5" wide (i could pack a sandwich and chips in it LOL)

the hull itself is in good shape Except the radio box rails were screwed from the bottom side and counter sunk screws were used to hold them in...

I just checked the rudder/bracket on my gas mono to compaire.its speedmaster with a 6" stand off bracket size of blades are very close to the same size and the mono rudders weight is 5.8oz

Im thinking about moving the radio box to the front (building my own) and using two tanks as close to the CG as i can eather two on the right side or one on the right and left side..not sure just yet....Any other input even some pictures of set-ups is great, again thanks..

Ok just placed my order with speedmaster and went with the strut phil suggested and a 20 size rudder too, as suggested from them, also called aeromarine yesterday and the CG should be 1" behind the sponsons or as close as that as possible with a radio box in the rear(transom side of engine) as close to engine as possible and I will make a box a ton smaller than the one in the picture the fuel tank is right where it needs to be although I will figure how many ounces it is and if its too big than a smaller tank will be made(aprox 10 oz should be needed im guessing)..

Next on the list is a turn fin and that should cover everything except buying the paint which will probably be orange and white mabey a few coats of pearl.. UPDATE turn fin ordered from Mike H..

Just adding some progress pictures, Waiting for hardware to start the work on the hull, cowl is ready first picture shows how pitted the gel-coat was aslo cut the opening in the cowl out better, little body filler and filler primer and good as new..

What are some good props for thes set-up?

100_0944.jpg

100_0947.jpg

I had one a couple years ago that I ran with a OPS 45 pushing a x450/3, I had modified the hull by making it 1" wider and it ran a lot better in heat racing, not the fastest but it finished !!

Ok Paint and body work is done....Gonna let cure for awhile then toss it back together with all new hardware....Automotive Base/clear Red/orange base with a heavy gold pearl overlay, black window and black turbine with silver misted over the turbine, all cleared.....

100_0971.jpg

100_0972.jpg

100_0974.jpg

Here is how the seam came out, still there but blended nicely!

100_0977.jpg

100_0976.jpg

Hello toyotatrucking

This is my first post on International Waters and I have been reading about your Sport 40 difficulties . I have a Sport 40 ready to get back on the water . I have spoken to several people over the years regarding the balance of Scale / Sport style Hydro's and the best information that I have is to check the balance of the boat at the rear of the sponsons and put a small Kitchen scale under the strut . There should be almost no load on the kitchen scale . Hope this helps with your project .

Regards

The Tall Fella

Ian

i disagree with that.

what you are saying is to have nearly no prop weight, no prop weight = prop not staying hooked up.

you will need a certain amount of weight to keep the prop hooked up, or you will lose to much speed

from the prop leaving the water

regards Aaron

Ahh that hull is Ugly and won't run good..........SO.......Just sell it to me ;)

Well the paint looks great...I bet the camera does it no justice. I think that will be the hull I end up buying to convert to FE power. It looks like it will make for a easy conversion.

Latest posts

Back