8700 91 U10 hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
I plan to do a model of the U10 winston and SmokinJoes boat, the 91 style.

The plans show flat rear sponson rears. Models I see have the extendend rear sponson shoes? what other scale details are there to be aware of on these boats?

here is a picture of one from ducks gallery

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=140&pos=45

PHIL T

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoken_Joes009.jpg
Phil, I have pics I took from 94 while in tri-cities....

Phil, I have pics of the winston as well from 91.....just have to find them and scan....

Not sure why but Roger seemed to like to extend the bottom of the shoes out, even if it was backwards. I know on the 8806 hull, he extended the shoe bottom aft and sloped the transoms to match even though the full sized boat had the bottom of the shoes 9" shorter than at deck level. Could also be that the design was easier to draw that way since it was nothing more than a recockpitted Bud T-2

I plan to do a model of the U10 winston and SmokinJoes boat, the 91 style.

The plans show flat rear sponson rears. Models I see have the extendend rear sponson shoes? what other scale details are there to be aware of on these boats?

here is a picture of one from ducks gallery

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=140&pos=45

PHIL T
Hey Phil! As far as rear shoes, tiplets, etc, everybody was trying something different from the late 80s thru the mid 90s. Between Ron Brown, Mike Hanson, Jim Lucero & Fred Leland you could just about bet that at least one of their boats was gonna show up at each race with something that was deeper or wider or longer or whatever. I guess if I was gonna draw 'em or mold 'em I'd go big. It's easier to cut some off than it is to add some on. There was another difference between the Winston & the Joe's that you might not want to hear about though. It isn't well documented(if at all) but between the 93 & 94 seasons Lucero & company pulled the decks off & cut down all the frames (by as much as a couple of inches) which changed the entire profile of the boat. The old filled-in Lobster boat got a similar treatment for display & back-up duties (although I don't know if it ever ran a heat). I believe that Kim Gregory's group played a shell game with those hulls later on. Anyway, my point is, even though you might see a pic of a boat a certain way, that same boat could easily have showed up at a race a week later with something altogether different! My $.02 - Larry K

What Larry posted is spot on the mark. The U-10 boats from 1991 to 1997 changed so much and in so many ways it was hard to keep up, trust me I know after building the '94 and '96 Joes and the '97 Close Call. The pics that Rob posted were just one of many mods they did to the rear of the boats. I'll have to dig through all the U-10 pics I have and find the ones with the extended rear shoes. The 8700 started life out as the U-00 Miller American, then Miller High Life/Circus. In 1989 the non symetrical Jones sponsons were added. The boat got sold in 1990 to Steve Woomer's U-10 Winston/Smokin' Joe's/Close Call team.

What Larry posted is spot on the mark. The U-10 boats from 1991 to 1997 changed so much and in so many ways it was hard to keep up, trust me I know after building the '94 and '96 Joes and the '97 Close Call. The pics that Rob posted were just one of many mods they did to the rear of the boats. I'll have to dig through all the U-10 pics I have and find the ones with the extended rear shoes. The 8700 started life out as the U-00 Miller American, then Miller High Life/Circus. In 1989 the non symetrical Jones sponsons were added. The boat got sold in 1990 to Steve Woomer's U-10 Winston/Smokin' Joe's/Close Call team.
OK Thanks for the pictures, I really would like to go with the hull with rear sponson tips.

Please find some pictures of the hull with the rear sponson pads.

Thanks PHIL T

Phil,

If you going to build the 8700 hull, Winston or Smokin' Joes, they wont have rear sponsons,but did have the tiplets, the 8700 hull didnt get a true rear sponson until 97 as the Close Call or Wild fire, and then even later as the York, it received real (todays version) of rear sponsons.

Now the 9210 hull (originally the Lobster Hull) started out as the Winston Select, Smokin Joes ect, whole different style hull.

I have pictures if needed.

Phil,

If you going to build the 8700 hull, Winston or Smokin' Joes, they wont have rear sponsons,but did have the tiplets, the 8700 hull didnt get a true rear sponson until 97 as the Close Call or Wild fire, and then even later as the York, it received real (todays version) of rear sponsons.

Now the 9210 hull (originally the Lobster Hull) started out as the Winston Select, Smokin Joes ect, whole different style hull.

I have pictures if needed.
OK Thanks that is what I was thinking going on with that hull, no pictures I have seen of the 94 boat show rear sponsons.

Tiplets you mean the hoizontal wing tips on the hull?

Please email me some pictures you have. some pictures of the 9210 would be nice to see too I could go that direction.

What did this Winston Select look like did it have the red paint like earlier Winston?

[email protected]

Phil,

If you going to build the 8700 hull, Winston or Smokin' Joes, they wont have rear sponsons, but did have the tiplets, the 8700 hull didnt get a true rear sponson until 97 as the Close Call or Wild fire, and then even later as the York, it received real (todays version) of rear sponsons.
The Close Call did not run rear sponsons in any shots I have or have ever seen. It had the vertical hull sides aft of the front sponson heals as well. This was also true for the '96 Joe's as the hull changes were made at the end of 1995. Got lots of pics of the Close Call, needed them when we tackled that paint scheme. B)

And BTW- the 8910 was the lobster hull. The 9210 was the Winston Select and back up Smokin' Joe's hull that ran '95 to '96 and then did not run again until 2000 as the U-5 Appian Jeronimo.

[quote name='P THOMAS' date='19 November 2009 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1258658051'

What did this Winston Select look like did it have the red paint like earlier Winston?

[email protected]

The Winston boats were not red, they were florescent orange. The boats would look red when photographed with many lower grade films and/or wrong film speeds, this info came from a guy who photographed the unlimiteds for quite a number of years. I further verified this by actually speaking one time to a former U-10 crew member (can't remember his name, it was well over 10 years ago) who was real quick to talk about how much they hated that florescent orange paint because of how fast it would fade and was a nightmare to even come close to matching when repairs were done. They were real happy when the Smokin' Joe's theme was announced for the 1994 season. B)

Phil,

If you going to build the 8700 hull, Winston or Smokin' Joes, they wont have rear sponsons, but did have the tiplets, the 8700 hull didnt get a true rear sponson until 97 as the Close Call or Wild fire, and then even later as the York, it received real (todays version) of rear sponsons.
The Close Call did not run rear sponsons in any shots I have or have ever seen. It had the vertical hull sides aft of the front sponson heals as well. This was also true for the '96 Joe's as the hull changes were made at the end of 1995. Got lots of pics of the Close Call, needed them when we tackled that paint scheme. B)

And BTW- the 8910 was the lobster hull. The 9210 was the Winston Select and back up Smokin' Joe's hull that ran '95 to '96 and then did not run again until 2000 as the U-5 Appian Jeronimo.
Yea they changed from race to race hard to keep up with, why I like to get pictures first before starting a project.

yes I know it wasnt really red but the neon red looks closer to pictures. I had the lobster painted with some real bright red to match the photos I had.

Look for the pictures of the Winston Select if you can email a copy

thanks PHIL

Phil,

Don,

Correct, the 8910 was the Lobster hull, which became the 9210 hull ( as it morfed into a conventional hull) with new sponsons and full decks, saw it being built in my own backyard (Production Tool Shop) Roseville, Michigan

Here are pics of the '96 Joe's, '97 Close Call (same boat) and the '96 Joe's back up boat (which was also the '94-'95 boat) I have in my pics file. Note the '96 back up boat has the extended rear shoes but also has the Jones rear verticals instead of the Lucero ones normally on the boats. Like I said before these boats changed from race to race. B)

Here are pics of the '96 Joe's, '97 Close Call (same boat) and the '96 Joe's back up boat (which was also the '94-'95 boat) I have in my pics file. Note the '96 back up boat has the extended rear shoes but also has the Jones rear verticals instead of the Lucero ones normally on the boats. Like I said before these boats changed from race to race. B)
Don,

Not sure of that, the 2 pics are 2 different hulls, the Close Call is the 8700 hull (and only the 8700 hull) the pic of the Smokin Joes is the 9210 hull. the attached file you call the SJ backup is also the 8700 hull.

The mods done to the 8700 hull didnt happen until 97 (Close Call - Wild Fire)

Don,

Not sure of that, the 2 pics are 2 different hulls, the Close Call is the 8700 hull (and only the 8700 hull) the pic of the Smokin Joes is the 9210 hull. the attached file you call the SJ backup is also the 8700 hull.

The mods done to the 8700 hull didnt happen until 97 (Close Call - Wild Fire)
Good info, on the MHR Close Call did come from the 8700 and redone in 97, now looks more like the 9210 type hull.

Latest posts

Back